Author Topic: Oil change.  (Read 4323 times)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Oil change.
« on: July 08, 2017, 12:58:37 PM »
My car engine is much quieter having had its first service oil change. They wouldn't put thicker oil in it.........would they?

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Oil change.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 03:37:44 PM »
My car engine is much quieter having had its first service oil change. They wouldn't put thicker oil in it.........would they?

How long had the old oil been in ?  Oils do 'lose viscosity' as they get used because the 'viscosity modifier' polymers used to increase viscosity as the oil heat up get damaged.  5W30 is 5 weight when cold to reduce drag,  but viscosity modifiers wake up when oil gets hot and swell up to maintain / increase viscosity of the hot oil  to a 30 weight oil.  Basically an oil that is 'broken' (needs changing)  may be only 5W15,  and also the oil will be full of combustion acids and the buffering package is depleted.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/motor_oil_605.htm

For general interest here is an article low down in the above linked article which is a bit of a worry.

Watch Out for Poor Quality Oil in Quick Lube Shops

The quality of oil being sold by quick lube shops has come into question in recent years. The American Petroleum Institute (API) did a nationwide survey in 2013 to check the quality of oil being sold by quick lube facilities. Oil samples were taken from bulk dispensers in quick lube shops and analyzed in a laboratory to see if they meet API quality standards, OEM performance requirements and SAE viscosity grades.

The survey found that 1 out of 5 samples FAILED one or more of these tests!

The survey found that a lot of quick lube shops are selling poor quality oil that does not meet minimum service specifications or is not the correct viscosity grade. Poor quality oil increases the risk of lubrication-related engine damage and failure. For more information on this issue, see Motor Oil Matters.

These tests were done in USA,  don't know if anyone has done similar tests in UK,  you just don't know what is in those 45 gallon drums that some garages use for every vehicle that comes in and engines and gearboxes as well no doubt -all that is missing is the sign saying 'universal oil, on sale here'.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 05:43:18 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 04:27:15 PM »
The service was done at 13,000 miles, the last 1000 being done on long journeys on hot ambient temperature motorways. Maybe  should have had the service done early, the oil was probably a bit tired.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
Oil change.
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 03:58:09 AM »
13,000 Miles, that's almost 21,000 kilometers.  :o

Because we do mostly short trips i always like to change the oil twice a year, which is about 5000 kilometers (3000+ miles). And since we did the first oil change we always have a smooth driving and quiet engine. Call me old fashioned, but i don't believe in those long time interval oil thing, plus i am just following the car's manual.

When we bought our Jazz from the Honda dealer back in 2015 it got a maintenance service before we picked up the car — with all the stamps in the service booklet, delivery costs included this was €695! Six months later i went to my brother in law (he owns an independent garage) to change the engine oil + filter. We were both looking how the old oil came out very slowly in thick chunks. "This is not 6 months, 5000 kilometers old oil, is it?" I asked him. He looked at me in horror and said: "NO! I don't know exactly how old this oil is, but i DO know it isn't changed in a very long time!"

The car engine was as happy as a quiet purring kitten after that change and luckily her name is Honda so she didn't blame it on us.  ;)

Keep her happy, Deeps!  :D.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 04:13:21 AM by jazzway »

guest1372

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 04:35:37 AM »
The Honda factories now mostly use 0W20 oils.  Standard oil from the 40 gallon drum in the corner could well be 5W30 or 10W40.
http://www.mobil1.co.uk/which-synthetic-engine-oil/results.aspx?sitetype=mobil1&equipment_id=EFt8PkjRK
--
TG

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 08:24:05 AM »
As my car is a year old and under warranty with a pre paid service plan, it was serviced by a Honda dealer (OK. 500 miles late). Honda oil has a UV tracer, try getting an engine related warranty fix if it does not have Honda supplied oil in it (Castrol 0w20 Edge professional H).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 08:30:46 AM by Deeps »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 10:22:51 AM »
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/518/motor-oils

This site suggests that by specifying thinner and thinner oils to try to meet stricter fuel consumption targets that motor manufacturers compromise longer term protection for short term (very little ) gain in fuel economy.   Read the section 'viscosity and wear' - which suggests that thicker oils can protect engines better both under more extreme use and on short runs (and presumably everywhere in between).

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/30208/fuel-economy-oils

This article suggest that keeping your tyres at correct pressure is a better way to save fuel.

I rarely spend  more than £30 on car engine oil (been using Castrol Magnatec semi or fully synth (if fully synth on offer) 5W30 for a long time), but do change it regularly - used to be twice a year or more, but now retired and doing a lot less miles, once a year.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 10:40:10 AM »
This article suggest that keeping your tyres at correct pressure is a better way to save fuel.
The best way to save fuel remains the driver. Minimising your use of brakes and optimising your acceleration (which doesn't mean being light with the pedal) will probably yield more gains than pretty much any mechanical modification.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 11:48:10 AM »
The best way to save fuel remains the driver. Minimising your use of brakes and optimising your acceleration (which doesn't mean being light with the pedal) will probably yield more gains than pretty much any mechanical modification.

That is the truth, but I think the point they are making is that thin oil makes a slight difference to mpg but sacrifices protection, but that correct tyre pressure makes more difference.

Proper driving will always win,  but some drivers always look for the easy way requiring minimal effort / input from them and ultra thin oils are sold as 'fuel saving' (at a price).

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 12:38:13 PM »
As soon as my car is out of warranty it will get interim synthetic 5w30 A5 oil changes.

guest5079

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 02:36:35 PM »
I do not own a MK3, just a MK2 but am interested in some of the remarks about dealers. After 2 services 'FREE' done by the dealer under part of the sale, this year I went to my local garage. After a chat, it was arranged that I would get the filter and the MTF gearbox oil as the car was due for the I shift oil to be changed ( age not mileage) Whilst ordering the Honda MTF from Cox, I ordered the drain and level plug washers and a Honda oil filter which came with the sump washer. Come the day, I left the car at the garage for the oils to be done and an MOT. For two years I had been asking about the whine from the transmission and could they check the oil level. Not excessive but any whine should be checked as it might just be low oil level. Having broken a mirror glass on the drivers side a couple of days previously, I discussed as to whether I should postpone the MOT. NO OK but it will get an advisory ( He doesn't know when a VOSA bloke will walk through the door) I therefore forgot to ask him to measure how much oil came out of the gearbox. I also asked him to look at the rust on the handbrake cable brackets. Now, the whine has reduced considerably ( MIGHT just be fresh oil) gear changes are smoother and respond better. As to the brackets. He told me he had cleaned the rust off and it was not affecting the body, covered the brackets in grease for my attention whenever. I know he used Mobil fully synthetic because he doesn't buy large quantities of oil but rather what the customer wants. Yes I had to pay the bill but I feel  a lot more confident as to the work being done. At the end of the day the FREE servicing was in the purchase price. Something must be different for my Wife to comment. As far as she is concerned Cars are a necessary evil to get from A to B and are too complicated.

Tags:

anything