Author Topic: Dreadful ride - any way to improve?  (Read 13616 times)

JackH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GD 1.4 Sport
Dreadful ride - any way to improve?
« on: July 07, 2017, 06:38:39 AM »
Good morning all.

In addition to two phase two GD models, we now have a phase one GE 1.4 EX in the family.

We've never really found the ride a problem in the GDs despite all the bad press this got but are really struggling with how harsh it is in the GE at its worst and given the main route it needs to cover on a daily basis involves a fair amount of bumpy country lanes, we're now at the point of considering getting rid of it.

However, we otherwise love the car and will persevere with it if we can find a way to make improvements so have a few questions we hope some of you can help with:

1. Wheels: Would switching to 15" wheels make any notable difference?
2. Tyres: Is there any particular tyre known to improve the ride?
3. Tyre Pressures: Has anyone experimented with these?

We've also read that the ride in the phase two GE models is improved. Is it that much better? If so, does anyone know if the improvement is just down to the springs and shocks? If it is, are these a straight swap for the existing units or are there other changes which mean they're incompatible? Is there anything else like bushes / strut tops which have been improved and make all the difference?

As above we're at the point of considering getting rid if the car if we can't make any improvements, for the dogs sake if nothing else. :D

Finally, if the phase two isn't that much of an improvement, can anyone recommend anything other than another GD which would offer the same kind of economy, reliability and practicality as a Jazz?

TIA for any advice given.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Dreadful ride - any way to improve?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 07:08:43 AM »
Welcome. Tyre pressures will make a ride hard if the tyres are over-pressure. I run mine at 32 psig front and rear.

Pumpkin

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: None yet
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 07:44:27 AM »
Changing to 15" wheels will definitely improve the ride. I've just changed my tyres to Toyo Nano energy 3, which are supposed to be geared towards comfort and a quiet ride. They're definitely quieter, I'm not sure about more comfortable though.

JackH

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 08:08:36 AM »
Welcome. Tyre pressures will make a ride hard if the tyres are over-pressure. I run mine at 32 psig front and rear.

Thank you. :)

We're running 32 all round on ours as we speak. May try dropping the rears to 30 but can't see it making that much difference unfortunately.

JackH

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 08:14:34 AM »
Changing to 15" wheels will definitely improve the ride. I've just changed my tyres to Toyo Nano energy 3, which are supposed to be geared towards comfort and a quiet ride. They're definitely quieter, I'm not sure about more comfortable though.

Do you know of anyone who's done the switch to 15s and can comment on how much diffference it made?

We don't mind a bit of bumpiness but it's way too harsh as we speak.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 08:17:45 AM »
The profile of the tyres can make a big difference too. A fairly large chunk of your suspension movement is down to the tyres flexing. Low profile tyres have very little flex and can be very hard. I had a car running on 205/45 and when I changed the wheels and went for 155/65 the improvement in comfort went from night to day.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 09:47:30 AM »
Having taken the winter 175/65 R15 tyres and steel wheels off my wifes 1.4 Si GE a couple of months ago and felt (once again) how harsh the ride becomes when I put summer 185/55 R16 back on I was tempted to put the winters back on for the whole year. Not only are the Nokian winters a lot more comfortable they are also much quieter than the Bridgestone summers.

Not only will narrower higher profile tyres give you an easier ride they will also give the suspension an easier time by soaking up a lot of the worst that todays roads have in store. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 10:52:45 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 11:13:54 AM »
I'm currently running with tyre pressures at 28psi, only a marginal improvement.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 11:24:56 AM »
The problems with lowering the tyre pressures is it can lead to increased tyre wear on the outside edges of the tread and it reduces the mpg you get. The Hypermilers run at the maximum the tyre will stand, damn the wear and the comfort, as long as the get better mpg. Not my choice though.

guest5079

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 02:00:52 PM »
There has been some agreement that the Michelin Green tyres are an improvement.Certainly replacing Pirellis made a considerable difference. I believe that another tyre manufacturer has entered the 16 inch market. It has been mentioned recently. As to whether comfort has been reported on I can't remember. Just a thought, depending on how big your hound is, could a foam pad help. Dogs are remarkable resilient and adaptable.
We to live in a country area where the roads are diabolical.One thing that has impressed me is the durability of the Jazz under carriage  even after an argument with a large hole and the subsequent retracking, the MOT reported all fine underneath. After 30 mths ownership, we are conditioned to the harsh ride which on a half ways decent surface is fine,

Pumpkin

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: None yet
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 07:12:11 PM »
I find it funny Honda have managed to pull a rabbit out of a hat with the ride and handling of the Jazz. Usually the trade off for a hard ride is improved cornering, but no, the jazz is not only bumpy but somehow feels like it will tip over around corners too!

JackH

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 10:06:50 PM »
I find it funny Honda have managed to pull a rabbit out of a hat with the ride and handling of the Jazz. Usually the trade off for a hard ride is improved cornering, but no, the jazz is not only bumpy but somehow feels like it will tip over around corners too!

;D

I prefer GD ride and chassis wise if I'm honest.  A shame they didn't offer it here with a bit more poke otherwise I might have been tempted to stick with one of those.

The GE has more bells and whistles but they seem to have cut a few corners build wise.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 09:56:23 AM »
Can't agree with Pumpkins comments regarding cornering on the EX, yes, mine is a hard ride, but it goes round corners like it's on rails!

guest5079

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 11:30:02 AM »
I have to agree with Kenneve, it can be disconcerting the fact that it does remain so upright. I to have an EX but looking at the specification VSA was fitted to all from 2010'. When we first had the Jazz I experienced the VSA kicking in. We used to have a Rover V6 which on bends needed some effort to maintain ones line. First time I came to a piece of the A30 which  has an adverse camber on a long uphill sweeping bend, in the Jazz and not used to the lightness of the steering, the car let me know I was using too much to make the bend. A very slight feeling of the car trying to straighten up. Hasn't happened again as I did at least learn.
I am not trying to justify Hondas suspension on the Jazz but having read up on the VSA, Traction control and ABS all working togather, my only concern is if the flipping piece of kit under the bonnet goes wrong. The system seems to be quite clever.If it saves  a few cases of accidents through oversteer/ understeer then it has proved itself. But then I am a moany old git.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 03:39:06 PM »
Can't agree with Pumpkins comments regarding cornering on the EX, yes, mine is a hard ride, but it goes round corners like it's on rails!

+1

never had the feeling a Jazz is gonna 'tip-over'
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything