Author Topic: Buying parts from outside the UK  (Read 3436 times)

guest5079

Buying parts from outside the UK
« on: June 08, 2017, 12:42:45 PM »
Any one any experience of buying parts from outside the UK?
I need a  window switch for the nearside rear door, quite by accident found a website that has not only pictures but all the parts in Honda part numbers.
The part number for this switch is  35760-TFO-003 list price UK approximately £40 plus post.
I put the part number in good old Google and came up with several offers including Amazon.
There the switch ( genuine Honda part) is on offer for $25 including post from Dallas in the USA. Now, sense tells me that I would have to ask Amazon before ordering as it is likely postage will be added for the UK
BUT are we being ripped off in the UK?  It seems this switch is common to the Jazz, Fit, Civics and Accords and taking the price excluding carriage there is a lot of difference tween £40 and $25 which given an exchange rate of $1,25 to the pound ( guess work for illustration) means it would retail at very approx £20 One hell of a difference. There were offers at $17plus carriage but again in the USA.

guest4871

• Topic Starter
Re: Buying parts from outside the UK
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 12:57:12 PM »
Some of the difference just may be in VAT and import duties (into the EU!).

Check the postage before you order which could be steep. You probably will not have to pay import duty if it is below a certain value threshold - but you might. (Best to also check the Royal Mail website too as they may charge you for the collection of the import duty if it is needed to be paid).

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 03:05:05 PM »
Generally US display prices are before sales tax even in supermarkets and coffee shops, probably take the switch all the way to the payment stage to see what the final price will be.

Reclaimed switches seem to be about £20 delivered on eBay.
--
TG

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 04:16:39 PM »
I have regularly bought from the States and most time all I have paid is postage. Twice I have had to pay charges and on both occasions I had to pay more to the Post Office for servicing the charges  than the charges themselves.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 07:30:31 PM »
You can also order here: https://www.honpa.eu
I have ordered something from them last year and they are very nice and quick in answering email. Sending from Hungary to the Netherlands took 2 days.

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 09:31:28 AM »
As most of you guys know, I've modded my Jazz quite a bit and most parts were from overseas.

They were all over the HMRC import threshold and as such, I was stung with duty and vat which meant the item costed a heck more than it would had been (sometimes twice as much!)

Maybe not as relevant in your example but your title was buying parts from outside the UK  :P

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 03:19:36 PM »
yeah,  I have been stung like that,  comes as a shock when you can't get the item until duty etc is paid.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 03:29:11 PM »
I am very aware of the pitfalls having a Brother living in Canada. If I send anything to him I have to be mindful of the taxes etc. Canada has a system whereby they have a 'national' tax PLUS a Province tax.
A couple of years back, I sent him my old police  flowerpot helmet as he has several RCMP customers and it certainly was a talking point fortunately Canada customs didn't charge tax although it was over the gift limit, but it still cost £12 to send it. Last Christmas I sent him a book which cost £10 to send, so the post is a killer as it's done on weight.
I just find it amazing that a part in the USA costs half what it does in the UK, bearing in mind the offer was $25 postage included, begging the question that the price included local tax. Carriage apart.
After today, Honda parts will cost even more as the money men are not happy with the election result.

bill ericay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Civic Sport 1.8 Orchid White
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 07:35:36 PM »
As most of you guys know, I've modded my Jazz quite a bit and most parts were from overseas.

That must be the understatement of the year-- I still have a picture of your Jazz on my computer, one of the best ones I've seen !   Credit where it's due and all that !

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 10:47:41 AM »
I ordered an exhaust trim for my Jazz from a Honda dealer in the US via ebay, I didn't have to pay import duty but that was almost ten years ago.

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 12:35:31 PM »

That must be the understatement of the year-- I still have a picture of your Jazz on my computer, one of the best ones I've seen !   Credit where it's due and all that !

Understatement? How so?  ;D

Thanks for the recognition though hehe- i'm flattered  :-*

Tags:

anything