Author Topic: Looking for some advice on high mileage Jazz  (Read 8002 times)

RE Spirit

• Trader
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: n/a
Looking for some advice on high mileage Jazz
« on: June 03, 2017, 01:12:12 AM »
Hi all,

I'm looking to get a new daily so been looking at the Jazz and i'm setting my budget around the 1.5k-2.5k mark.

Been seeing a lot of 80-100k+ ones for the 04-08 ones.

Are there things I need to set aside for like new clutch, pads, spark plugs, wheel bearings etc?

Thanks,
Jon

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Looking for some advice on high mileage Jazz
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 08:59:58 AM »
I bought a 2006, 56 plate with 87K miles on the clock, last July. I paid £1800 from a local dealer. It was serviced and MOT'd less than a month before I bought it. It has been a great wee car, with more interior space than the Volvo S40 I replaced. I had to replace the battery, a wishbone (£32), and recently the exhaust snapped at the middle box (because I replaced the cat as well it cost £155).
It is now due a service, and I will be buying the bits next week, and the MOT is due in three weeks time. It may require a couple of brake pipes but we will see what the MOT tester says.
Running costs have been great. Tax cost £110, insurance (fully comprehensive) cost me £360, and I have averaged 52 mpg since its first fill up.
I would be the first to recommend a Jazz such as you are looking at.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 12:16:21 PM »
Its all about condition, check the MOT history even before setting off to view the Jazz, then look around at tyres make spare/jack/tools. Does the interior smell damp check below carpets & in rear boot floor.
As you know there are 000's out there and amongst them will be your next car - take your time.
 If buying from a dealer/garage bargain hard right down to 12mth MOT & fuel.
Good hunting

MOT history > https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

RE Spirit

• Topic Starter
  • Trader
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: n/a
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 11:44:22 PM »
awesome thank you!

The mot check has defo helped me clear out a lot of the ones I was looking to look at but after looking at the history of some of them were like wow. no way! haha.

Thanks!

ABV73

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 02:17:12 PM »
Bought a 2004 SE Sport with 115,000 last year.

It's second MOT and yearly service is a month away:

Echoing wha other's said:

- Gearbox gears WIL need to be replaced (£300-£700) depending on where you go, who does the work etc
- Rear water ingress into the boot is a thing.
- Front Suspension: Culprits: Torsion bar drop links and steering connecting rods...
- EGR clogged (bunny hops/stalls at junctions)

All the above seem to be the norm in high-mileage 2002-2008 Jazzes. besides the gearbox, not overly expensive but I guess the fact that we drive such cheap cars means that are wallets are not that thick so it's best to aim for the youngest/best maintained models possible

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 09:01:13 PM »
Olduser talks sense.
Look for ones which has been looked after. I got mine main dealer approved used, and was cheaper than other garages,
They changed brakes tyres and exhaust too.

Have a test drive, and have a quick check of how the owner drives - eg holding biting point on hills at lights instead of in neutral. Heavy braking, etc. Going over speedbumps quickly. Smooth gearchanges... You soon get an idea how they treat cars.

Mines just gone round the clock, and I can't fault it.

Don't be scared to walk away from cars. Theres usually better out there somewhere.

gtd2000

• Approved Member
  • Tell it as it is..NOT how it should be!
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 03:53:38 PM »
As far as I’m concerned there’s three things the car is likely to suffer from, perhaps four, depending on age.

1.   Rear wheel bearings
2.   Input shaft bearing whine
3.   Water ingress in boot
4.   Rust

Our first car had just had the rear bearings replaced at a cost of £300 according to the receipt and had the leaking joint causing water ingress to the boot. During the 50,000 miles of driving, there was no problem with the input shaft bearing. Car was becoming rusty underneath but no signs of anything that that compromised the safety of the car. The car had done 130,000 miles when we sold it and was in generally very good and unworn looking condition. I believe the new owners were very impressed with the overall condition.

The new car appears to be fine, with the exception of number 3.

I honestly wouldn’t be concerned with higher mileages on a Honda at all. Buy on condition not age or mileage.

Other than an AC condenser and some associated pipes, there really wasn’t anything out of the normal servicing required for the car. It had one full exhaust system and then a back box fitted just before sale. I’ve no idea why the back box corroded so badly, as the middle section of the exhaust was bought at the same time from the same outlet and it looked to be in really good condition when I changed it.

Other than oil & filter changes, the spark plugs were replaced (£13 from EuroCarParts delivered for 8) a couple of years back when the car started to Kangaroo when setting off. This is another known issue but it’s just a servicing item really.

Oh and one other thing, the keyfob started falling to bits but a case sourced on either eBay or Aliexpress had it looking as good as new for around £2.

Jeffyjazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz se sport
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 07:43:08 AM »
I got my 2002 jazz in 2011 for £800 with 30k miles on it.   For the first year everything rubber needed replacing

I think that was because of such low miles and everything had gone crispy.    It's now on 145k miles and only ever needed consumables brakes, exhaust, and tires

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 09:23:10 AM »
Check for a whining from gearbox in lower gears,  this is pricey to fix (upwards of £400 for removal / repair and replacement of gearbox) if you take box out yourself there are quite a few places that will replace bearings for much less,  but you need to remove bits of suspension to access the box - pity it is only one bearing - but if you can stand the noise it will never fail and leave you stuck,  just gets noisier - a dose of molyslip in the box may quieten it - I used molyslip in my GD Jazz from when I bought it with about 15,000 miles and at 120,000 when I sold it there was just the very faintest of whine in first gear.   

Rear brake pipe - just the last bit of steel pipe that connects into flexible on rear suspension,  dealer will charge about £200 to replace small length (about 300mm), you can get it done cheaper than that though.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 09:52:01 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest7024

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 08:24:37 PM »
just bought 2002  jazz with the gearbox bearings gone  but have found somewhere 290 fitted recon box  and if I buy clutch they fit it free  only other issue steering seems stiff for little car you have to be careful at speed or you could over steer it not smooth

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 10:39:17 AM »
just bought 2002  jazz with the gearbox bearings gone  but have found somewhere 290 fitted recon box  and if I buy clutch they fit it free  only other issue steering seems stiff for little car you have to be careful at speed or you could over steer it not smooth

Even if it is only for new bearings and oil, £290 for a recon box fitted sounds very fair indeed. It's sensible to change the clutch at the same time, unless you have any evidence it's been done recently. Pay a couple of pounds more for a decent brand, and don't forget the release bearing.

The steering is another matter. I've just bought a Jazz for the other half, and the steering has been improved a great deal by replacing the scrubbed tyres on the front and straightening the tracking up, which was a mile out. There's loads of threads on here about steering, it seems to range from heavy, notchy and lifeless, to light and perfectly normal.

I suspect that the geometry setup and electric power steering on the Jazz makes it prone to feeling lifeless, but the all too common notchy, sticky feel, particularly around the centre, is not normal. Some have had success with new steering racks under warranty, but paying for it makes it a none starter... there must be a better solution for us skinflints.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 04:39:35 PM »

Steve. Can I ask where the recon gearbox work was done? I have just bought a 2005 model in good condition but the bearings are noisy.

Thanks

Martin

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 05:48:20 PM »

Steve, if this is your first Jazz you will find the steering a little stiff at first. It's due to the electric power steering as opposed to hydraulic power steering on most other cars. However after a while you'll get used to it. I find it several times stiffer than my wife's 57 plate Nissan Micra which is very loose on steering.

Mike.

guest7024

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 05:19:26 AM »

Steve. Can I ask where the recon gearbox work was done? I have just bought a 2005 model in good condition but the bearings are noisy.

Thanks

Martin
It a place at Wakefield  I get you details later was hour drive but by dinner time I got car back all done

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 03:31:54 PM »

Thanks

Martin
It a place at Wakefield  I get you details later was hour drive but by dinner time I got car back all done

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

If you can dig out the details that would be really helpful. Thanks.

Tags: