Author Topic: Has anyone Gone from a Jazz to HR-V?  (Read 13888 times)

guest6436

Has anyone Gone from a Jazz to HR-V?
« on: May 07, 2017, 11:57:56 PM »
What would be your top 3 Pros & top 3 Cons once you had switched to the Hr-V and used it for a while when compared to Jazz?

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE
Re: Has anyone Gone from a Jazz to HR-V?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 10:00:27 AM »
Yes I had a Mk1 Jazz for a few months then a Mk2 Jazz for two years before getting my HR-V around 18 months ago.

Pros:
1. 'Big car' luxuries, like leather, heated seats etc.
2. Definitely more roomy inside, but not significantly higher though.
3. Bigger engines, quicker car. Diesel engine is economical and powerful.

Cons:
1. Diesel engines now not at all popular. Get the petrol.
2. Being a brand new model, early cars had a number of niggling issues to resolve.
3. Struggling to think of a third - this is a superb vehicle. Wish there was a 4x4 option and slightly more ground clearance maybe.

Same:
Given the HR-V is built from the Jazz template, there are a lot of similarities, so the transition was pretty straightforward. If you have a 3rd generation Jazz then it will seem very similar to an HR-V.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 05:40:47 PM »
How about internal storage for odds and ends?  It seems somewhat limited in the Jazz.  e.g. there is no under seat storage like the C-RV has

guest6425

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 08:01:24 PM »
fuel tank is under the front seats so not a good idea for a cupboard...

Jazz Upper cool box glove box is way bigger than the CRV one (Mk2)

Even with the rear seats, set for seating, you can put stuff under them due to how it works, I don't know of *any other* car that can do that.

I don't know why you'd think the cubbies are limited in a Jazz.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 09:03:29 PM »
Jazz Upper cool box glove box is way bigger than the CRV one (Mk2)
I don't think I have a "cool box" on my MKIII.  I did have one on the CR-V though.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 09:19:10 PM »
This thread http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8719.0 contains some relevant discussion. I changed from the Mk 3 Jazz to the HR-V about 6 months ago (and before that had a hybrid Jazz). I'll make my comparisons with the Mk 3 since that's what the HR-V is based on and I'm also comparing the CVT SE versions of each.

Pros:
1. The HR-V's engine isn't much bigger than that in the Jazz but behaves as if it is a lot bigger. The engine on the Mk 3 is set up for the more economical Atkinson cycle in the lower half of the revs range (and has to rev above around 3,000 rpm to deliver useful acceleration) but the HR-V's engine is much more progressive in its performance and capable a smooth gradual and quiet acceleration at around 2,000 rpm.
2. The windscreen glare problem which really annoyed me on the Mk 2 Jazz and was still (but reduced) problem on the Mk 3 is not an issue on the HR-V with its steeper windscreen.
3. More capacious cargo capacity in the HR-V. I recall that someone traded in the Mk 3 Jazz for an HR-V because the Jazz wouldn't take a set of golf clubs in the boot. The HR-V will take up to 5ft long objects with the rear seat folded and it's possible to get 8ft planks in if the front passenger seat isn't in use.
4. Useful details such as the ability to fold the mirrors using the remove control plus the nearside mirror automatically tilts downwards to shw the rear wheel when reversing.

Cons:
1. The HR-V is thirstier. I'm assuming about 20% thirstier until I've clocked up a year of motoring under similar conditions (but have to admit that I tend to drive the HR-V a bit faster than the Jazz which won't help the mpg). However, the HR-V's fuel tank is 25% larger so there's no reduction in range between refills.
2. The touch panel for controlling the heating and ventilation is a challenge to operate safely as it's necessary to look at it to change anything.
3. While the HR-V rides better, I'd much prefer a size smaller wheels with correspondingly larger tyres to help damp out the potholes. The big wheels + lowish profile tyres look nice but aren't the best for the deteriorating UK road surfaces.
4. Niggling software issues such as the temperamental auto idle stop and the whole touchscreen system (but the Mk 3 Jazz also has these problems).
5. While there's some useful space and a decent selction of sockets under the centre console, it's an awkward location for access when sitting in the front seat.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest6425

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 02:33:03 PM »
Gen question, does the HR-V also have the magic seats of the jazz ? or is it jazz only.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 11:05:49 PM »
Gen question, does the HR-V also have the magic seats of the jazz ? or is it jazz only.
The HR-V also has the magic seats so a horizontal load space when they are folded down, or a goood sized space behind the front seats when the seat bases are lifted up or quite a lot of storage space under the seats when the are in the normal position.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 11:47:34 AM »
Plus European Civic 8th & 9th generation hatchbacks and touring models which share the Jazz rear torsion beam suspension, but not North American / JDM sedan & coupe which have double wishbone rear suspension and different floor pan.
--
TG

guest6425

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 10:20:20 PM »
Thanks, good to know that flexibility is there in other ranges too.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 08:32:13 AM »
Thanks, good to know that flexibility is there in other ranges too.
But note that the 2017 (10th generation) Civic doesn't have the magic seats http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/honda/2017-honda-civic-review-drive-new-british-built-family-hatchback/ so you would need to buy the previous model to get this feature.

Tags:

anything