Author Topic: Servicing schedule  (Read 6855 times)

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
Servicing schedule
« on: April 14, 2017, 04:05:47 PM »
Hi all; I've had my Jazz 08 plate for a year next month from a Honda main dealer (full service when buying it, they said) and got the letter that a service will be due and MOT. Even offered me a free MOT if I have it serviced there. As I'm retired, partially disabled and don't go far these days I would think it's a waste of money to have it serviced every year, as I shall only have done around 1000 miles since I got it. Obviously it will need MOT which I get done at my mate's garage at mate's rates which is a few 100 yards from where I live.

I can understand having a yearly service if I was doing 10,000 miles or more a year but I consider it excessive if I do such little mileage.

What period between services would you folks consider advisable for someone who does low mileage. Thanks in advance, Mike. :)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Servicing schedule
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 04:42:09 PM »
Personally I think that any car should be serviced at least every year even if low mileage. It means that invisible faults can be picked up and acted upon such as corrosion on brake parts for instance.
You don't have to use a Honda dealer, do you not have a recommended independant close by?
Have a trawl on the web, you may find someone in the 'Good Garage' scheme or on 'Honest John's' website.

Vic.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 04:50:40 PM »
At that mileage I'd get your mate to change the oil, when it is in for its MOT, and leave it at that.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 08:06:35 PM »
My wifes Jazz does low mileage so I get it serviced every 2 years, mine however has up to 5 services a year !

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 10:07:27 PM »

Like Vic i also think that any car should be serviced at least once a year, and when those 1000 miles are mainly short trips i would replace engine oil and oil filter twice a year.
Dealer or independent, choose one you trust. :)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 08:29:30 AM »
i would replace engine oil and oil filter twice a year.

IMHO even with short journeys once a year is perfectly OK with modern oils,  all that extra oil has to come from and go somewhere, and even if it is recycled it still takes energy to clean it up.  All it needs is a decent ( >20 miles on main road every couple of weeks to get oil proper hot and battery fully charged).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 11:14:37 AM »
I am a right moaning minnie. I would not bother with the main dealer, my posts have made my feelings quite clear about those establishments.
Get your mate to just change the oil and filter when he does the MOT. Even if you don't want anything else done.
Look after your engine, it will repay you.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 12:30:38 PM »
It's an interesting one this. I do 3,000 miles a year maximum. A friend of mine, who does a similar mileage, and also has a Jazz, uses a local independent to do the MOT, change the oil and filter and just check the car over. He pays about £100 for this and gets a full service every 2 years.

I think the oil change is important. I do a lot of local stuff so I guess the oil gets more contaminated than it would do with longer journeys.

I'm a bit OCD with things like this so I follow the service schedule but am I wasting money?

MikeG1944

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 01:34:46 PM »
Thank for all your input folks; very much appreciated.

Firstly, I don't use main dealers for repairs and servicing; only bought the car from one because it was just what I was looking for. I use my mate as he has been looking after our cars for nearly 40 years; in fact when my sons lived with us he was looking after 5 cars. He'll bend over backwards to help me out whatever the problem and usually do my stuff the same day if he can get spares in time. I'll have a word with him soon and get the MOT, oil and oil filter done I think.

The reason I queried servicing schedules is that the schedule on my wife's car (57 Nissan Micra) is a lot different; as it seems to be done more on mileage; every 6K or 12K and as she does low mileage too she doesn't have to worry about it much. I guess it's just how different manufacturers think a schedule should be done.

Mike.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 02:58:32 PM »
I do about 1000 miles every 6 weeks, virtually all cold start short runs in town. Three miles is a long run for me, particularly in the winter. I would never dream of changing the oil once never mind twice in that 1000 miles. Most manufacturers quote mileage for service intervals, with the oil change at that mileage - or every 12 months - whichever comes sooner. I have my oil and oil filter changed every 12 months. Modern synthetic or semi synthetic oils are far superior to the old 20W-50 or SAE 30 of years gone by (We still stock and sell SAE 30 Classic, for those that need it). I feel perfectly comfortable doing that with my engines. If I was aiming to buy new, and hoping for 1000000 miles + I might change the oil a bit more often but not on an older car.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 04:44:03 PM »
Nobody ever looked at the maintenance schedule for severe conditions? Many short trips (only) are severe conditions for a car!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 05:53:44 PM »
But even severe conditions don't need the oil changed more frequently than every 4500 miles. 6250 if you live outside the EU! The odd longer trip burns off the water and such so, in my opinion, the six months doesn't affect me. I'll grant you that if every journey is under 5 miles then the oil and filter should be replaced every six months, according to the service manual, but I wouldn't change mine that often, irrespective of what the manual says.

geoffchats

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 10:57:33 AM »
I would suggest that an annual, at least, engine oil change is essential especially if you intend to hang onto the car.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2017, 12:15:07 PM »
Without a doubt. Especially for me who gets my parts and oil at employee discount.

MikeG1944

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 05:33:30 PM »
Had a chat to my mate who owns the garage today and he confirmed best to change oil and oil filter as it stands around for long periods. He'll do it with the MOT. :)

Thanks for all your advice folks.:)

Mike.

Tags: