Author Topic: Idle stop, on or off?  (Read 19278 times)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Idle stop, on or off?
« on: April 13, 2017, 06:55:42 PM »
I have been turning my idle stop off for a couple of weeks, it has made no difference to my fuel consumption other than it has improved slightly (warmer weather?). I believe the idle stop is designed to assist Honda with statuary testing results rather than do the owner any good. I now only turn on the idle stop if I am in heavy traffic where the car will be stopped  for more than 2 minutes. This makes normal driving with short stops far more pleasant and is a lot easier on the car.

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various
Re: Idle stop, on or off?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 10:31:54 AM »
I think idle stop works best when used in conjunction with a hybrid engine. Then it can just do its thing. Such a pity that after pioneering the hybrid car and having three hybrid cars in their range, Honda dropped hybrid technology in favour of the 1.6 Diesel engine and diesels are now doomed.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 12:24:11 PM »
I have been turning my idle stop off for a couple of weeks, it has made no difference to my fuel consumption other than it has improved slightly (warmer weather?). I believe the idle stop is designed to assist Honda with statuary testing results rather than do the owner any good. I now only turn on the idle stop if I am in heavy traffic where the car will be stopped  for more than 2 minutes. This makes normal driving with short stops far more pleasant and is a lot easier on the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k159M8QhCIE

I just love this guy. He agrees with you.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 01:44:47 PM »
stop - start is another example of fuel consumption tests being skewed by test regimes that are favourable to laboratory testing but have very little basis in real life driving. I have been passenger in stop-start cars and I reckon I would be switching it off as well if I was driving.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 03:11:50 PM »
I do my own manual version of stop start at certain lights where I know what the sequence is and how long I'm going to wait and, of course, I don't idle unnecessarily but these systems detract from driving comfort and pleasure and at a negligible fuel saving.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 03:26:12 PM »
Gentle brake pedal pressure is often enough to stop the car without stopping the engine for short stops.

guest6570

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 12:03:34 PM »
Whatever the arguments are for reducing fuel consumption it is not the only reason for the system to be there, it is there to also reduce emissions and therefore benefits the driver by lowering their tax liability. Stop/Start if used by all those drivers who have it would also benefit the environment. Thousands of cars or even millions worldwide all stopped at lights burning fuel is no good to anyone whether its for a few seconds or fractions of a minute - use stop start and save the environment! I've had a Vauxhall Insignia with Stop/Start and now a Jazz Mk3 with it and it never bothers or causes me any issues at all. Why turn it off!!!

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 01:26:51 PM »
If turning off my stop start is not effecting my fuel consumption how can it be effecting the cars emissions? 

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 02:13:18 PM »
If turning off my stop start is not effecting my fuel consumption how can it be effecting the cars emissions?

I think it's the concentration of fumes at pavement level that is the issue here rather than the global total. Idling traffic does kick out a lot of stuff that can be breathed in by pedestrians or even other road users through the ventilation system so it's why people are often recommended to switch to recirculate mode when in heavy traffic.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 02:45:28 PM »
I think the vehicles accelerating away from the lights emit many times more pollution than those waiting.  However, "every little helps" I suppose.

guest6570

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 02:47:58 PM »

Your car burns fuel when idling and stop start is disabled therefore it will burn some be it miniscule amount of fuel and contribute to CO2 emissions into the atmosphere. Maybe not harmful if it is just one car but take into account all the millions of cars on the road then it becomes a much bigger issue. And if the manufacturers didn't include stop start on Cars then your road tax would be higher depending on which band of tax your car falls into. Would you rather pay more car tax! Like I said I don't find the Jazz stop start to be any problem at all but each to their own!

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 03:04:55 PM »
I have done my bit by switching from diesel to petrol. I also live in a low traffic semi rural area where my car is only occasionally stationary for a few seconds at a time.....when it is in use.  :-)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 12:22:04 PM by Deeps »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 01:04:55 PM »
I have done my bit by switching from diesel to petrol. I also live in a low traffic semi rural area where my car is only occasionally stationary for a few seconds at a time.....when it is in use.  :-)

Two of my brothers were lifetime diesel fans and they have switched to petrol and were surprised how far petrol engines have advanced and how quiet and nice to drive they are.

Their only worry is putting diesel in instead of petrol.  I would have thought with todays technology a vehicle would have a chip by the filler to match with chip on fuel nozzle to stop people putting wrong fuel in.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 01:15:19 PM »
The diesel pump nozzle is a larger diameter than a petrol one, petrol in a diesel is easy, a diesel nozzle does not fit in most petrol cars. I owned diesels for 30odd years, never a problem, I always cross checked nozzle, pump indication, and price. The jazz is a doddle, the diesel nozzle doesn't fit!

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 01:15:36 PM »
Their only worry is putting diesel in instead of petrol.  I would have thought with todays technology a vehicle would have a chip by the filler to match with chip on fuel nozzle to stop people putting wrong fuel in.
The diesel nozzle is generally bigger than the petrol nozzle so shouldn't be an issue that way round.

Tags: