Author Topic: how do i install remote locking system?  (Read 22602 times)

guest6693

how do i install remote locking system?
« on: April 01, 2017, 03:15:04 PM »
Hello everyone!
Not long after i bought a honda jazz 1.2 2008 MK I idts i realised it's a base model and does not accomodate a remote locking system. I bought this car on reliability as i do long trips quite often. But this thing is bothering me as all the previous cars i owned came with the remote central locking.
I tried to find out but the dealership discontinued its OEM remote locking system as after 2008 models all cars have remote locking as standard.
Found some cheap universal remote locking system of ebay, but I haven't got a clue how to install it. There isn't any obvious video posted on this model for me to follow as well.
So i was wondering if anyone with such knowledge can help me with the where and how to install it and the how do i work my way through the fuse cluster system and any relevant information please.
Any info will be much appreciated.
Thanks.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: how do i install remote locking system?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 06:07:58 PM »
I would go the breakers yard route & obtain Honda parts off your local yard, good luck with the project.

guest6693

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 07:36:37 PM »
Thanks, good to know what u'd do, but your response doesn't seem to help me a lot, much appreciated tho  :P

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 02:35:19 PM »
OK I've talked a couple of people through this - it's quite straightforward but does require you to put your head upside down in the driver's footwell and make connections to fairly tight wiring behind the kick-panel.

Unfortunately Honda seems to use a model specific minimum wiring loom, so although I once sent a remote receiver and blipper key to a forumite, the plug to connect it was not there so that project faltered, but the good news is generic kits containing two blippers, a control box and a wiring loom are available on eBay / Amazon for £10 http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=remote+locking
You may also find some splice connections and a multimeter useful but not essential, plus a cushion for the footwell to save your shoulder.

I'm going to cut paste some instructions from a previous response of mine below once I've found them.
--
TG

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 03:24:28 PM »
The eBay keyless units are all universal and can be set up to suit different cars at installation. Most of the wires can be ignored, e.g. you don't need it bibbing the horn, flashing the indicators and closing the windows so the simplest units are probably the best, and you won't need actuators either.

Using wires from the drivers door key lock, the white wire is temporarily grounded to unlock, the white/red is temporarily grounded to lock the central locking, so follow the set up instruction in the kit for 'pulse low' or 'negative trigger'.
This connects to the loom from the drivers door that pass through the footwell area next to the fusebox. There is space to hide the receiver behind the panel to the right of the fusebox (which is where the original receiver would live).

The existing wiring is quite tight and you'll need to spend an hour with your head stuck in the footwell, but quite a few people have done this.

From drivers key mechanism and taken momentarily to ground (black):
White = Unlock
White/red = Lock
Quite a few choices to get permanent 12v and ground nearby.

http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual > wiring diagrams > power door lock system

- - -
Shouldn't need to take off the door panel, the wiring can be done from the footwell. The panel above the pedals is the most useful to remove (twist clip + 2 friction clips along front edge) and it might help to take out the fusebox cover (unclips) and the trim that surrounds it (screws + clip). The wiring diagrams from before will help you find one of the 12v wires and you can use a bolt for the ground connection

There's also a useful connector for the door wiring hidden by the trim around the bonnet release lever.

- - -
The door wires for locks, windows and mirrors pass through the rubber grommet then down to a grey and blue connector in the footwell.  You should find a white/red and a white with silver grey blobs next to it on the grey connector (circled in image).

Remember leave a window open and to disconnect battery if you are going to start joining to these cables, there will be 12v present at all times as the driver's door keyswitch temporarily connects them to ground.
Power the unit via one of the existing fuses with a fusetap.
- - -
Kit wires  >>>  Car wires

Yellow & yellow/black & black   >>>   ground (0 volts), i.e. under a bolt
Red           >>>   permanent 12v via a fuse
White         >>>   white/red  (lock)
White/black   >>>   white (unlock)

Note that white does not connect to white. (although at least one kit has the lock & unlock buttons swapped over)

Just connect the red and black power wires first to test if it receives the signal from the remote.  If that seems OK, move on to the (un)locking.
Probably a good idea to make sure there is no exposed cores of the other spare wires able to contact anything so tape them up.
- - -
Looking at the car's horn and indicators / hazard light control circuit most of it is quite buried without removing further bits of trim, but the rear indicator lights cabling runs down the drivers side of the car and can be traced from the footwell.  The indicators take quite a lot of power (21w + 5w + 21w) x 2 = 94w so it's seems beneficial that the two brown wires from the kit are fairly thick.  You can connect one brown wire to the left hand indicators and the other brown wire to the right hand indicators, but they will need to be good connections to support the potential current draw.

The circuit diagram shows green/yellow for RH indicators and green/red for LH indicators, you could trace back the cable bundle that runs along the drivers sill to find where the connections are made to the under dash fusebox. (It's also a junction box with connections on both sides). 

I'm not certain what the siren/horn connection will achieve, bibbing the horn when locking or unlocking is not much use.  If it's for a panic alarm that might be worth it.  You can hear the locks operate from quite a distance so that's all you really need to be sure it's working. 
- - -

So, the indicators lights were connected on separate harness marked.
After connecting the brown wires from the kit, all working perfectly as expected!!

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 05:02:38 PM »
I'm guessing Gavin is happy enough using his key.
--
TG

guest6693

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 03:16:34 PM »
Thank you TG, your detailed and vivid description really helped me through the entire process, appreciate it. you're the star! ;D

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 08:44:41 PM »
Happy to help.
--
TG

guest6693

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 03:37:29 PM »
just an update for the future retro fitters, as mentioned earlier the wire loom under the footwell is preety tight, you hardly can do anything unless you are strongly determined to do it. cut the binding tape open to get more access to the wires. hard to get a 12v constant around that area so i used a fuse tap from no.28 (power door locks) of the fuse cluster, ground was pretty easy to get as your whole car body is a negative (no issue at all).
but my "lock" and "unlock" options worked just the opposite as suggested by TG above. the "unlock" button of my remote actually locked the car and "lock" button unlocked it. So i had to swap the wires resulting into below:
receiver wire                  car wire
white       >>>>>>>>      white
white/black  >>>>>>>     white/red
PS: It might just be a different kind of keyless entry system (its from ebay thou) or the wiring of my jazz (should be standard thou)  :o
So, i strongly suggest keep checking as you go on every step, so you would save yourself some time and efforts.
Thanks to the Forum, without it I wouldn't have got it done, laughing now like  :D :D

xiodene

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz GD 1.2 S
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 03:18:33 PM »
This is a really useful guide TG!

I have a few questions though...

Im having some trough with this. I have wired it all up. The unit unlocks, but does not lock. I can hear the relays clicking but the doors do not lock.

The only thing I have done differently is that I made the connections on the other side of the plug in the footwell, but I cant see why this would matter?
One thing I noticed though. When i remove the plug and try to lock and unlock the car with the key, only the drivers side works, which makes sense as there is no power.
However, when I reconnect the plug; but still have the wires disconnected from the new block I still get central locking for the whole car. How can this be if the wires are cut?

Can anyone help with this??

Thanks
 Matt

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 04:37:43 PM »
Hi Matt,

If the drivers door keyswitch is still central locking the car then it suggests that the lock signal wire is still connected, same reasoning that the new remote lock signal is not locking the car as it's maybe connected to something else. The lock control wire from the keyswitch is the white with a red stripe, the unlock wire is the white one although it may also have the odd blob of paint every few inches along it.  The two wires appear next to each other in this image.  It should not matter which side of the connector you attach them.  There are a few other wires that are similar such as white with a blue stripe or pale grey with a red stripe so it check your lock wires are in the same position as these on the top row next to the tab.

Hope this helps, and keep a window open while doing this!
--
TG

xiodene

• Registered Member
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2017, 04:44:50 PM »
Thanks for the reply TG.
My thoughts are the same, I must have the wrong wire...but I am 100% sure I have the white/red wire that is circled in that picture.

Any other ideas? I can take a picture of the wiring if that helps?

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2017, 05:24:20 PM »
A picture might help.  You could fold yourself into the car so you can close the doors and just try grounding the lock wire with a wire offcut; you can push the exposed end into the connector and then tap the other end to a ground point to see if it locks.

That triggers a memory (goes out to car to test theory)......

If any door or tailgate is open you will hear the unlock but not the locking clunk using the remote - all doors must be shut for the central locking to work, this way you won't walk away leaving an unseen door ajar.

I once discovered that you could only pair another remote with a Jaguar with the doors closed after an hour of trying multiple times.
--
TG

xiodene

• Registered Member
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2017, 05:28:30 PM »
Thanks for the help :)
Im away from the car now so wont be able to try until monday, but will update then :)

guest7553

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 08:14:47 PM »
Fantastic thread, just installed a remote on a 2003 Jazz 1.4 S where the driver's door key stopped working.

Connectors were the same but wires weren't quite the same. I used the wires from the master switch on the door rather than the door key switch, which were white/blue and white/green from this wiring diagram
http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A00/HTML/00/SAA2E00000000000000EBAT00i012.HTML

Took power from the white/red wire to the floor loom plug from the fuse box and earth via a mounting bolt.

Haven't bothered with indicator or horn etc. Bit worried that the current draw for the indicators would be too much for the box I have anyway as the (dubious) instructions say only 5A load for them!

Anyway, great forum and many thanks.

Tags: