Author Topic: Supermarket Super Fuels? Any good?  (Read 1358 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Supermarket Super Fuels? Any good?
« on: March 15, 2017, 12:11:32 PM »
https://d16vpkeamxept2.cloudfront.net/assets/6ca06d648b9541e78fa838fece4a1a23.pdf

In selling super fuels, suppliers like to emphasise the extra cleaning properties of the fuel. Tesco say that their Momentum fuel has more additives than their normal unleaded.

But have a look at page 3 of the Millbrook report on Tesco Momentum - especially Page 3 - this indicates that there was an increase in deposits in 3 of the 4 test cars after using Momentum even compared with their own 95 RON fuel?

It's to their credit that they publish this report in full but my reading of it is that there no case for Momentum on the basis that it keeps your engine cleaner - the opposite seems to be the case.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Supermarket Super Fuels? Any good?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 07:00:54 PM »
In another report that I read sometime ago, not sponsored by Tesco, comparing Tesco Momentum with another brand 95 fuel the Momentum was shown to be superior in consumption, vehicle performance and engine cleanliness.
I would suggest that a lot of those figures in the report are within the realms of experimental error and are, hence, meaningless..
So you pays your money and takes your choice.
From my own experience of long term use of Tesco Momentum there is no obvious advantage in either consumption or performance but I obviously have no idea about engine cleanliness.
I use Tesco fuel because that is where I shop and I get loyalty points. I actually use both 95 and 99 fuels alternately so am more or less running on 97 octane on which the car goes very well.

Vic.

Tags:

anything