Author Topic: Fitting DRL to jazz  (Read 20830 times)

guest1372

Re: Fitting DRL to jazz
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2017, 12:52:49 PM »
Many thanks d2d4j, I learn something new each day.  It seems that a lamp with dotted lines is the symbol for DRLs and that fuse 15 may make life easier for installation although still need to learn more about the relay and how much (or how little) of the wiring is included.  Honda have a habit of not including spare wires within the loom on models that don't have the item fitted.

Perhaps the EU should have thought of this and when some eurocrat came up with the idea .....
Or more accurately -

Perhaps the UN working party 29 should have thought of this and when some worldwide delegate came up with the idea ....

This EU bashing is easy, when in reality their main role is in establishing common regulatory frameworks to simplify pan-European tasks.
--
TG

* https://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/introduction.html

"The UNECE World Forum for Harmonization of Vehicle Regulations (WP.29) is a unique worldwide regulatory forum within the institutional framework of the UNECE Inland Transport Committee.

Three UN Agreements, adopted in 1958, 1997 and 1998, provide the legal framework allowing Contracting Parties (member countries) attending the WP.29 sessions to establish regulatory instruments concerning motor vehicles and motor vehicle equipment"

guest6865

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2017, 10:53:44 PM »
Hi Folks

Grateful for any ideas on how to solve this one.

I bought a set of Osram LEDriving LG Daytime Running Lights (LEDDRL102) to install them on my 2009 Jazz 1.2 (GG VIN) as it’s being used as a learner driver car by my daughter.

Osram recommends the PX-5 model DRL as a retrofit for the Jazz because the PX-5 is wired just to the battery, whereas the LEDDRL102 needs an additional wire to go to under dash fuse 15. I preferred the LEDDRL102 because it dims to 50% when the main beams are lit whereas the PX-5 switches the DRL off altogether (and I also bought it new on special offer).

If I follow the Osram instructions, the challenge is to get a wire from the battery in the engine bay, through the firewall / bulkhead, and all the way to the (empty) fuse 15 in the under-dash fusebox. On my Jazz, there is a bundle of cables up above and behind the clutch pedal that goes through a boot/gland into the engine compartment, but being a small car these cables turn the corner behind the front right wheel arch and come through into the engine bay in an essentially unreachable place.

Currently my two options seem to be:

(A) Some posts (http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8585.msg43955#msg43955) suggest using a yellow headlight height adjustment motor for IG1 power instead of fuse 15, but that wiring diagram (http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A00/HTML/00/SAA2E00000000000000EBAT00i004.HTML) is for an older Jazz. The one I think is for mine (http://hondafitjazz.com/manual3/index.html > Lights, Exterior > Headlight Levelling System > Circuit Diagram without HID) seems to suggest that I’ll be looking for a LT GRN wire.

Does anyone have experience with this? Any things I'd need to look out for connecting to that wire instead? It’s quite a hassle to remove the bumper to get to the headlight to find and test the wire so keen to hear if anyone knows this already.

(B) Alternatively, any tips for getting a cable through the firewall without removing the windscreen wiper assembly on the outside to reach the cable bundle in the engine bay? Like I mentioned, it’s a really tight squeeze  where the wire bundle comes through into the engine bay…

Any ideas or suggestions gratefully welcomed.

d2d4j

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2017, 08:49:32 AM »
Hi zapax_242

TG confirmed the colour and wires to use, which worked on our jazz

If you read this thread from the start, TG posted in reply to my original post, which is light green, but please read for yourself

Good luck and appreciate any pics when you finish

Many thanks

John

guest1372

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2017, 12:54:03 PM »
Grateful for any ideas on how to solve this one. ....  Any ideas or suggestions gratefully welcomed.
The earlier thread mentioned was for the Mk1/GD and the colours for the headlight motor wire (yellow), this thread has the Mk2/GE colours (lt green) as you have noticed from the wiring diagrams.  Some controller kits have their own suggestions, I think Philips does a voltage sense on the main battery terminal to determine whether the car is running or not; I prefer the switched IG1 method myself, but it's up to you.

I think the fuse #15 method might be a dead end on UK spec cars as the relevant relay & cable run are probably missing and would need adding.  This would need an appropriate plug for the internal fuse/junction box (via Honda as it's v. rare & unique).  It might also be another item that's controlled by the multiplex MICU (a known unknown as D. Rumsfeld might say *).

d2d4j & matty vapour are probably your main resource on this job as they know exactly which bits of trim to lift and where the cable runs are.
Good luck.
--
TG

* There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.

d2d4j

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2017, 06:33:28 PM »
Hi

Our jazz is the SI, but the wiring (of using TG advice as we did), is very easy and simple to do, with no additional work to wire to fuse box

I suppose it depends upon the DRL controller, which my controller needed a battery and ignition on feed, so I soldered and hear shrink the battery wire to the ignition on wire, then crimped this to the green power feed to the head light level feed on the headlight (top left at rear of light cluster), so this feed both, allowing the DRL only working on IG2 (when dashboard lights come on or engine is running), but off on IG1 key position (kudos to TG for this)

I did initially crimp the indicator light but disconnected this because the DRL flashed when indicating, which is illegal in UK to have flashing white lights on indicators I believe

Last wire to crimp was to the sidelight, so the DRL dimmed to 50%

I would advice you remove the front wheel, remove the wheel arch liner, and fit your DRL, which from what I can see, you will need to drill a small hole, for wire feed, unless you may be able to feed the wire through where your fog lights are, but I'm not sure as our is the SI with different bumper.

I hope it goes well for you, and would be good if you could post pics to help others if you do fit them

Many thanks

John

guest6865

« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2017, 08:29:37 AM »
Thanks folks,

I'll see what I can do over the weekend then upload photos once successful.

Good additional explanations - I'm not a sparky so a bit daunted by making sure I get the right wire - don't want to be messing around and making 'known' mistakes...

steverae

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2022, 03:36:10 PM »
OK - So ive just ordered a set of DRL's as per the Authors comments and will be fitting these to my Si once they arrive in the new year.

Hopefully this should be straight forward

Tags:

anything