Author Topic: Battery Life?  (Read 16834 times)

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
Re: Battery Life?
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2017, 02:19:52 PM »
Surely you must have a Yuasa battery?

--
TG

Cant find anything that would suggest its a Yuasa one

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2017, 02:21:03 PM »
Some good points Culzean. It's why, for me, at present, they don't quite stack up. On the range issue I have been doing a little exercise simply jotting down roughly how many miles I do in a day since the start of the year. As of today I haven't done a single journey that even a limited mileage EV couldn't do.

However, in September, we are doing a bit of a UK road trip taking in the Malverns, Cornwall and Bath over 7 days. I'll do 800 miles plus. 15 x 30 minute fast charges? No thanks.

My mate, on the other hand, saves significant money with his EV as he does about 10,000 miles a year and changed when his ICE car was ready to be traded in. He bought used. He has access to an ICE car (his daughters) for the occasional long trip (about 2 a year) simply swapping cars for those trips.

Sorry guys - a bit off topic!

Garyman

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2017, 02:26:29 PM »

When they get an EV with 400 mile range and 10 minute recharge and guarantee plenty of charging points with no queues I may reconsider.

We may need to start a new thread regarding EV (or maybe theres one already) but after seeing a member on another forum with a Tesla X, I've completely fallen in love with it and really want one! 

Doubt I could afford one currently but the more I research about it, the more I see EV being my next car.  I just wish they could make it more affordable.

People on that thread say the Tesla can be up to THREE / FOUR TIMES more than what they previously had but have no regrets. 

The free Superchargers for charging the car out in the network sounds encouraging but considering you're spending £80k+ on a car, you're more or less paying for the "fuel" in advance?  That's the way I see it anyways.

guest5079

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2017, 02:32:13 PM »
JazzWay,
 When I took the battery out of the car, there was a sticker on the side with 10/10/10 on it nothing else. The battery was not a make I had ever heard of but it was made in Japan.

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2017, 04:02:51 PM »
This morning, Tesla Motors announced via its official blog that it will no longer offer lifetime free charging at its Supercharger network for new buyers. Starting in 2017, new Teslas will only come with a limited amount of free charging every year.

Up until now, every Tesla sold came with free, unlimited recharging at any Supercharger station in Tesla's growing nationwide network. In an announcement this morning, Tesla says any cars ordered after January 1st, 2017 will come with just 400 kWh of complimentary Supercharging per year, equivalent to roughly 1000 miles worth of range. After that, owners will have to pay a "small fee" to power up their cars.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2017, 04:27:25 PM »
As the uptake of electric cars increases it won't be long before the UK government starts to put tax on electricity used to charge a motor vehicle. It is a cash cow they cannot pass up, especially as duty on petrol and diesel will be tailing off.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2017, 07:13:07 PM »
As the uptake of electric cars increases it won't be long before the UK government starts to put tax on electricity used to charge a motor vehicle. It is a cash cow they cannot pass up, especially as duty on petrol and diesel will be tailing off.

Yes I agree,  they won't miss out on that cashcow, even down to having special meters in your house and maybe special voltages to make sure you can't sneak a charge of normal 230 mains. 

Tesla in USA promised free charging with their very expensive novelty cars but because the rich people who bought them are so mean the owners were driving miles to get to the local free charging stations to get topped up and huge queues were forming, which meant anyone trying to get a charge during a long journey was unable to. 

Even the Tesla business model (which I believe has yet to make a profit) can't stand the financial drain of 'free charging for life' that they had to promise to get people to buy their cars,  Tesla has had little competition to date but the big 'cash rich' German and Jap car makers will soon be snapping at their heels and then it will be interesting.  Tesla so far has been a company that attracted investors to its novelty products but has made them no money - how long will this continue before shares get dumped and company folds ?

http://www.investopedia.com/news/will-tesla-make-profit-2017-tsla/
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 09:02:07 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Garyman

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2017, 10:31:08 AM »
Back to topic.......

Despite getting it checked and charged by my Honda dealer on Tuesday, I almost couldn't start the car on Friday morning.

Emailed my dealer and they said to bring it down on Saturday morning where they will look at it again.

I said I don't have the time and rather just pay another £55 for a new Yuasa battery and just install it myself but they said they want the opportunity to help me sort it, and will somehow make it read a fault code so they could get me a free replacement as the battery is under warranty.

Went down 9.15am Saturday morning but they already had 7 other customers waiting for their cars to be worked on. 20mins later, the new lady at the service desk came over saying that the battery wont charge and that it will be £95 for a new battery.  I said no chance, and its still under warranty so should be foc so she said she'll check with the service manager and should be fine.

I was away by 10.15 after a new battery  8)

Car starts and just feels much better now with a new battery so pretty chuffed my Honda dealer once again helped me sort this out

Lol23

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 EX I-Shift 2009
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2017, 07:04:46 PM »
Ref Auntneddy
I have just part -x my Honda Jazz EX  1.4 I-shift 2009 it had the original battery and was showing no signs of deterioration started the car every time. Hope I get the same service out of my new Jazz ex CVT stop/start
Lol23

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2017, 12:37:27 PM »
Daughter's just under 3yr old Jazz failed to start this morning showing all the symptoms of a flat battery.  Don't even have jump leads any more but anyway while it's still in warranty I'd prefer Honda took a look at it, so Honda Assist have been called.

Car did a decent journey yesterday so wouldn't have expected a problem.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2017, 01:46:32 PM »
Daughter's just under 3yr old Jazz failed to start this morning showing all the symptoms of a flat battery.  Don't even have jump leads any more but anyway while it's still in warranty I'd prefer Honda took a look at it, so Honda Assist have been called.

Car did a decent journey yesterday so wouldn't have expected a problem.

Battery life depends on so many things,  and if car is not used regularly for decent journeys it can shorten its life considerably.    May be a charging problem or maybe a drain on the battery when ignition is off (it has been known for boot light to stay on,  or the relay that controls heated rear screen or mirrors to stick closed,  which means there is still power being supplied to them even though ignition is off).  Is there an alarm fitted to the car,  alarms can draw quite a bit of power on standby,  the battery on my sister in laws car went flat in just over a week due to the fact her car has an alarm fitted (a factory one as well, not some shonky aftermarket one).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2017, 03:16:10 PM »
Car starts and just feels much better now with a new battery so pretty chuffed my Honda dealer once again helped me sort this out

Sounds like they would have helped you out of 95 quid, if you hadn't questioned it!  ;)

Garyman

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2017, 06:03:11 PM »

Sounds like they would have helped you out of 95 quid, if you hadn't questioned it!  ;)
To be fair, I've been using them for well over 15 years now so know the service and mechanics really well and they know what I expect of them.

The battery was still under warranty and they said they will bring up a fault code in order to claim a replacement battery under warranty, which I guess it was they did.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2017, 07:25:04 PM »
Battery life depends on so many things,  and if car is not used regularly for decent journeys it can shorten its life considerably.    May be a charging problem or maybe a drain on the battery when ignition is off (it has been known for boot light to stay on,  or the relay that controls heated rear screen or mirrors to stick closed,  which means there is still power being supplied to them even though ignition is off).  Is there an alarm fitted to the car,  alarms can draw quite a bit of power on standby,  the battery on my sister in laws car went flat in just over a week due to the fact her car has an alarm fitted (a factory one as well, not some shonky aftermarket one).

I think the interior lights turn off anyway after a few mins - not sure about the boot lamp.  Car doesn't have an alarm, I don't think - it's an EX. And HRW / mirrors wouldn't be used at this time of year.

It's used a lot - not long distance journeys but even a journey across town as it did yesterday would be a good 30 mins running, which with modern alternator charging systems should be plenty on an easy-to-start car like Jazz, especially in summer.

Honda Assist sent a local recovery agent who was grumpy and just jump started the car and left it running.  We'll have to keep an eye on it and get it checked when in for service in a couple of weeks.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2017, 09:27:50 PM »

I think the interior lights turn off anyway after a few mins - not sure about the boot lamp.  Car doesn't have an alarm, I don't think - it's an EX. And HRW / mirrors wouldn't be used at this time of year.

It's used a lot - not long distance journeys but even a journey across town as it did yesterday would be a good 30 mins running, which with modern alternator charging systems should be plenty on an easy-to-start car like Jazz, especially in summer.

Honda Assist sent a local recovery agent who was grumpy and just jump started the car and left it running.  We'll have to keep an eye on it and get it checked when in for service in a couple of weeks.

May just be a dodgy battery connection. This causes high resistance and won't allow power to the starter.  Good plan is to turn headlights on and get someone to see if they go out completely when you try to start engine (they normally go dimmer, but not out).  Otherwise with the bonnet up try to start car and then quickly feel both battery terminals,  If one is hot that will be the dodgy one.

Tags:

anything