Author Topic: Getting Jazz Washed After Pigeons Christened It  (Read 14646 times)

guest6373

Getting Jazz Washed After Pigeons Christened It
« on: October 21, 2016, 06:45:32 PM »
Just a quicke.

I'm borrowing a Honda Jazz at the moment.

A colony of pigeons decided to christen it.

They have shat all over it. I'm not kidding. I mean really shat everywhere.

It's definitely not a manual job. Gonna take it to an automatic car wash at a service station.

Can anyone advise is it okay with this car? I don't need to worry about the aerial(sp?) at the back on the top do I? Or anything else?

Also which car washes do you advice and what program? I think they offer different wash types don't they?

You have to forgive me because I never wash cars. My last car that I owned was scrapped a few months ago. I only washed it once or twice in 9 years of owning it.

The last time I went to a car wash was in Melbourne in 2002 when I took a hire car to a Shell one before dropping it back off so I am pretty clueless to know how much they cost here in the UK and which is best value for money?

Thanks for any advice.

guest5828

• Topic Starter
Re: Getting Jazz Washed After Pigeons Christened It
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 07:25:27 PM »
Hi, you could give it a bird bath :D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 09:40:16 PM »
Hi, you could give it a bird bath :D

I don't think Dove do car shampoo  :(

Rear wiper is normally the thing to watch for,  some car washes give you a plastic bag to put over it to stop brushes getting tangled and ripping wiper off.   Don't let the poo harden on the paint as that is what does the damage,  if you don't have car shampoo get a sponge with some warm water with hair shampoo and dab on the poo to soften it and make it easier to remove in car wash.

choose a long program,  but personally I would avoid final wax as it gets on windows (but brushes probably have wax on from previous washes anyway).  You may want to try a do-it-yourself wash with foam brush and pressure spray.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 09:56:15 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 02:39:13 PM »
If you haven't had or indeed done it yourself by now, don't leave it!  I once left a lump of bird special delivery for longer than I should and it literally burnt a hole in the paintwork.
As you have suffered a mass bombing leave it and you will have no paint.
We have a pigeon fancier locally, he 'loves' to see his pigeons flying around, fortunately we are not in his flight path.On a serious note he is strongly suspected of killing a couple of Buzzards. If my knowledge is correct Buzzards mainly eat carrion or rodents etc. I wish they did eat pigeons.OOPS.
Good luck!!

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 03:37:12 PM »
The best bit of kit I bought for car washing was a telescopic pole with a soft brush on the end that connects to a hose with the standard snap on connector.
You can wet the car first and remove any dried on mud etc and then wash your car. You can then shampoo it if you feel the need then wash that off.
A squeegee will get most of the water off before leathering.
I am fortunate that my garage tap is connected to the soft water supply so if I don't feel like drying the car after washing it it doesn't leave streaks as it dries.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 06:21:34 PM »
On a serious note he is strongly suspected of killing a couple of Buzzards. If my knowledge is correct Buzzards mainly eat carrion or rodents etc. I wish they did eat pigeons.OOPS.
Good luck!!

Buzzards will not eat pigeon unless it is already dead,  IMHO there are nowhere near enough animals and birds that kill and eat pigeons in the UK - pigeons are rats that have learnt how to fly.

As for whether I would rather watch a Buzzard soar gracefully over my house or a flock of flying rats - no brainer really
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 06:24:02 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest6316

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 06:38:30 PM »
Yeah your right the only thing that pigeons are good for is sitting in a pie, preferably with some nice gravy and glass of wine.
Unlike the bombers I have to deal with, sea gulls, my god that's a misnomer, none of them are at sea anymore the car roof and bonnet is proof.of that.  :'(

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 10:37:05 PM »
Yeah your right the only thing that pigeons are good for is sitting in a pie, preferably with some nice gravy and glass of wine.
Unlike the bombers I have to deal with, sea gulls, my god that's a misnomer, none of them are at sea anymore the car roof and bonnet is proof.of that.  :'(

Seagull poo will actually dissolve most things,  car paint doesn't stand a chance.

Seagull population is actually falling,  the fact that fishing boats no longer throw fish guts overboard has robbed them of their main food source,  being opportunists they moved inland en-mass to feed on rubbish tips,  but open landfill tips are being phased out and covered over,  so I guess seeing a gull will be a rare thing soon as their population will settle back to a more natural (un-subsidised) level when they are reduced to eating ice cream and pasties   :o   

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 11:20:53 AM »
When I posted my critique of pigeons I thought I might be in trouble. Nothing helps to lift my mood these days ( it takes some doing) as much as a or pair of Buzzards wheeling on the thermals and the plus is that they tend NOT to do this over cars etc.
All of my bird feeders have anti squirrel cages NOT for squirrels but piggin pigeons.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 05:49:29 PM »
When I posted my critique of pigeons I thought I might be in trouble. Nothing helps to lift my mood these days ( it takes some doing) as much as a or pair of Buzzards wheeling on the thermals and the plus is that they tend NOT to do this over cars etc.
All of my bird feeders have anti squirrel cages NOT for squirrels but piggin pigeons.

I have anti-squirrel cages around the feeders with seed catcher trays under them to stop seeds falling on the ground for the pigeons / squirrels to hoover up (also to stop rats being attracted to garden) - also anti-squirrel plastic discs on the poles (to stop them climbing up) -  the anti-squirrel cages around the feeders are to keep pigeons and magpies off the food.  It's a war of attrition - if the squirrels (tree rats) get past the defences and start doing damage or causing trouble they will get a dose of 'sudden lead poisoning'  from my trusty .22 air rifle.

guest5828

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 07:34:50 PM »
Call Dastardly and Muttley ( stop the pigeon) pmsl

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 07:37:15 PM »
Some car washes have a jet wash.  My car once got covered with baked on blossom.  I used one of those.  You are then in control.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 10:08:25 AM »
On a serious note he is strongly suspected of killing a couple of Buzzards. If my knowledge is correct Buzzards mainly eat carrion or rodents etc. I wish they did eat pigeons.OOPS.
Good luck!!
,  IMHO there are nowhere near enough animals and birds that kill and eat pigeons in the UK - pigeons are rats that have learnt how to fly.

As for whether I would rather watch a Buzzard soar gracefully over my house or a flock of flying rats - no brainer really

We have buzzards flying  150 meters overhead on most days.

And these eat pigeons on our lawn - taken from our kitchen window.  (Sparrow on menu today..)

[attachment deleted by admin]

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 02:12:18 PM »
Sparrowhawks are great,  they will have a go at anything.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 02:42:12 PM »
We have over the years tried to encourage wildlife into our garden. The problem is that although I live in a Devon village, most of the properties are let, not holiday, with the resultant wilderness as most tenants don't bother. As I reported pigeons reign and there is a groundswell of incomers that don't like wildlife.
My neighbour who hails from Oxfordshire has given up trying. When we do speak he asks me the same question. Is there a dog breeder living behind? He is a man of the soil and a countryman to boot but he cannot get over the number of barking dogs and their deposits, which is nearly as bad as pigeons except it doesn't in the main get on the paintwork. Before all you dog lovers start screaming, I like dogs but here they are like their owners a piggin nuisance. I am envious of Madasafish with his Sparrowhawks.
Way off subject BUT, a young couple have just moved in opposite, Mummy and Daddy live two doors away, either one drives from one house to the other. Daughter has two dogs, no excercise  usually carried from one dwelling to the other and mega noise.

Tags:

anything