Author Topic: Tyre Deflation warning - false  (Read 4513 times)

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
Tyre Deflation warning - false
« on: June 26, 2016, 05:27:28 PM »
Yesterday was first long motorway journey with my new Mk3. Tyre Deflation warning came up.

I pulled off at next opportunity, and first off tried turning ignition off and then on, but warning still there.

So checked the pressures. Fronts 36psi, rears 34psi. These are hot of course so I didn't take too much notice of the values, but was satisfied there was no tyre deflation going on.

So I went to the Info screen settings and chose "initialise", and after a short while it said "completed".

Carried on another 100 miles with no more warnings.

I saw something in the manual about taking half hour at motorway speeds for calibration, and presumably this drive was the first time my car had been on a motorway for half an hour. I don't know if this was anything to with it but it made me wonder how new cars get calibrated.

I will give the system one more chance, but if I get another false warning I shall turn the system off.

I remember reading another thread about this but it didn't come up in a search.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Tyre Deflation warning - false
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 05:35:06 PM »
Perhaps part of the pre-delivery check should be to set the "initialise" once the pressures have been checked and some, but not all, dealers do that.

In mid May I checked, and slightly adjusted, the tyre pressures and immediately enabled the "initialise" although I wasn't going anywhere for a day or two. So far, I haven't been troubled by the warning message.

2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 06:50:11 PM »
Dad had this same problem on his Kia Picanto, the dealer replaced the tyre pressure sensor in the end.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 09:05:45 AM »
Dad had this same problem on his Kia Picanto, the dealer replaced the tyre pressure sensor in the end.
From this previous thread on the same topic:
http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=7901.0
Page 443 of the Mk 3 Handbook (UK edition) states:
"Instead of directly measuring the pressure in each tyre, the deflation warning system on this vehicle monitors and compares the rolling radius and rotational characteristics of each wheel and tyre while you are driving to determine if one or more tyres are significantly under-inflated."
So there appears to be no sensor on the Jazz to be replaced, that description makes the TPMS sound like an adjunct of the ABS.

This TPMS issue is shaping up to be something else that some people experience and others don't (another example being the infotainment system fault). How can that be if all cars are nominally the same when they leave the factory ? Either different cars have different hardware &/or software, or the factory's not setting these things up correctly, which sounds like a QA issue.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 09:41:34 AM »
I had several false alarms when the car was new, but it soon settled down.  No more for over 3000 miles now.

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 09:54:38 AM »
I had several false alarms when the car was new, but it soon settled down.  No more for over 3000 miles now.

What did you do each time?

I have still only had the one incident.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 10:29:27 PM »

What did you do each time?

I have still only had the one incident.
I reset as per the handbook.  I only checked the pressure the first time!

Tags:

anything