Author Topic: engine clatter  (Read 9487 times)

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
engine clatter
« on: June 26, 2016, 04:08:53 PM »
my mk2 facelift is making a knocking noise only happens when the engine is warm, has anyone else got this noise?  thanks

« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 01:47:35 AM by monkeydave »

guest5715

Re: engine clatter
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 07:17:55 PM »
Do you mean the deeper knocking noise? That is most likely a big end bearing isn't it?

Have you got the correct oil in it. And enough of it?

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 11:12:18 PM »
yeah oil is good gets serviced at main dealer every year about 7.5k to 8k per year and it isnt as bad or loud as the video (but it was the only video i could find which sounded similar)

it is only after motorway run of an hour and only at tickover you can hear it and it isnt really in time with the engine and comes and goes

i know the jazz is a noisey engine but it isnt using any oil or water and is super smooth and quiet on the motorway

might be the timing chain giving some noise or valve lash, it is at 41500 miles now and i fully ran it in from new
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 11:22:22 PM by monkeydave »

longlegpete

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Better Half's Jazz Sport 1.4 2007, MY Jazz 1.4 Ex 2009 And Another 1.4EX 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 11:24:08 PM »
Does sound a bit like the big end but its hard to say on a video,  could be camshaft or maybe valve clearances are out, tappets are normally more of a tap/rattle than a knock.

If you have a long screwdriver you can try placing it around parts of the engine with you ear at the other end when it's running,  can help pinpoint a noise,  obviously be careful of touching anything hot or spinning etc

longlegpete

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Better Half's Jazz Sport 1.4 2007, MY Jazz 1.4 Ex 2009 And Another 1.4EX 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 11:36:35 PM »
yeah oil is good gets serviced at main dealer every year about 7.5k to 8k per year and it isnt as bad or loud as the video (but it was the only video i could find which sounded similar)

it is only after motorway run of an hour and only at tickover you can hear it and it isnt really in time with the engine and comes and goes

i know the jazz is a noisey engine but it isnt using any oil or water and is super smooth and quiet on the motorway

might be the timing chain giving some noise or valve lash, it is at 41500 miles now and i fully ran it in from new

Timing chain is more of a rumble than that but there's no rules really,  if its been serviced regularly and not run low on oil you would have to be really unlucky to get an engine problem,  if theres one thing honda do well it engines.

Have you tried looking for something loose maybe jumping/jigging around?

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 05:03:58 PM »
i have checked for anything loose and nothing jumps out at me

i am just worried it is rod knock, the car has never been hammered but gets used regularly on the motorway and always has dealer service, just under 42k on the clock, i dont expect this from honda at all

thing is the clatter i hear under the regular engine noise comes and goes and if it is rod knock it would be there all the time, unless it is just the first stages of it

it has always been slightly more noisy than my civic but that was down to the chain cam not belt

the good thing is there is no reports anywhere about rod knock on mk2 jazz or fit just a few random videos on you tube

has anyone else think their jazz is a bit clattery when warmed up?

longlegpete

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 10:42:51 AM »
We only have 1.4 versions but they are so quiet that you dont know they are running,  maybe 1.2 runs slightly noisier i dont know.

You mention the noise comes and goes,  if a big end is on it's way its normally there to a degree all the time, i presume when the noise is there it rises with engine revs ?,  years ago there was a similar problem with some Suzuki inline 4 motorcycle engines, 750,1000 and 1100cc, this was caused by camshaft end float,  noise was a on and off knocking when it felt like it, didn't matter to reliability just sounded unnerving,  could be removed by fitted small shims to the head to stop the float but not worth it if the noises didn't bother the owner.

Sorry to digress but all I'm trying to say is a intermittent noise is not always a terminal problem.

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 03:52:18 PM »
i had a good test today, i think it is just noisy valves, as i reved it to 4000 and then to 6000 stationary and there is just normal engine noise, it seems to be about 2000 revs the noise is but this car has always been a bit clattery from new and i suppose at 42000 miles it might need the valves adjusting

if it was rod knock it would def be knocking at 6000 revs but it sounds very sweet, as you said as i have had it from new and had it dealer serviced all the time i would be unlucky to have rod knock, and no oil or coolant usage at all even on motorway journeys, it is probably me just being paranoid

thanks for your help
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 03:58:46 PM by monkeydave »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 05:35:42 PM »
If the valves are 'clattery' they probably don't really need adjustment,  the time to worry is when valves get too quiet because the gap has closed up and now there is a chance of the valve not being allowed to close properly which will allow compression to escape from the cylinder. Also a fully closed valve can lose some heat into the cylinder head, if it is not allowed to touch its seat the valve will over-heat and burn out.   If the car is running well and doesn't seem down on power I would not worry too much.

I would rather have a noisy valve than a quiet valve any day of the week.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 06:55:07 PM »
yeah the car runs great lots of power (for a jazz lol) no hessitation and no oil or coolant usage  cheers

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 01:46:55 AM »
hi guys, just an update, i finally managed to get a couple of videos of my actual car engine noise, see what you think, in the first video at 30 seconds in under the wheel arch is the most noticable, the second video has some revving in, cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDqqisQXlnM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHm-7wbKFGU
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 05:44:49 AM by monkeydave »

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 04:22:11 PM »
From the consistent clatter and frequency associated with revs I would go with valve clearances but as Culzean said, there's probably not a lot to be gained by having them checked.
If it gets worse then there may be a small loss of power.
Always use top quality oil and regular, like six monthly, oil and filter changes.

Vic.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 06:53:53 PM »
Sounds OK,
 but ask yourself what changed immediatley before the noise became more noticatable ?

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 08:42:03 PM »
cheers guys, it gets fully synth service every year about 8000 miles a year and was just done in feb, i dont know if anything happened maybe i just noticed it more, it has always been a bit clattery from new as it is my first car with a chain cam too, my civic had a belt as did the others apart from a few overhead valve engines
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 12:15:37 AM by monkeydave »

longlegpete

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 11:04:12 PM »
It definitely sounds top end, could be valve clearances, sounds more noisey than our 1.4 versions but as i said before maybe the 1.2 runs on the noisy side, i dont know, you say you have it dealer serviced,  have you asked them what they think?, i would think as you have the car serviced there it would not be too much to ask for them to have a listen?,

its not a big job to just remove the rocker cover and have a look, if all seam well it will put your mind to rest

Tags: