Author Topic: Keyless entry! What options do i have?  (Read 24012 times)

guest6092

Keyless entry! What options do i have?
« on: April 30, 2016, 10:42:24 PM »
My 2008 1.2 used jazz came with one manual key when bought a while back. Recently the driver door is not opening with key. So using passenger side or back door to unlock. Now i read many people have similar problem.

Just wondering is there a option to integrate keyless system on my honda jazz? What options do i have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

guest1372

• Topic Starter
Re: Keyless entry! What options do i have?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 02:44:26 PM »
It might be possible to retrofit the keyless entry receiver from a donor Jazz, but the remote keys/fobs are rare and quite pricey.

It's probably best to get a £10 keyless entry kit from eBay or Amazon. This connects to the lock & unlock signal wires from the drivers door that pass through the footwell area next to the fusebox. There is space to hide the receiver behind the panel to the right of the fusebox (which is where the original receiver would live).

The existing wiring is quite tight and you'll need to spend an hour with your head stuck in the footwell, but quite a few people have done this.

From drivers key mechanism and taken momentarily to ground (black):
White = Unlock
White/red = Lock
Quite a few choices to get permanent 12v and ground nearby.

http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual > wiring diagrams > power door lock system
--
TG

guest6092

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 06:16:37 PM »
Thanks TG. Just found one stock remote on ebay. Do you think it might be compatible with my jazz?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/231927136640

Or this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/371586335570

It's little more expensive than aftermarket solution, but considering the work and hassle involved to fit it, it might be worth paying little more for a used remote?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 10:20:47 PM »
The receiver is not included in cars that didn't have remote locking as standard and it's not entirely clear if the wiring exists on all cars to add the Honda receiver, I sent one to somebody but did not hear if it was successfully installed or not.

The wiring diagram (13) shows the Honda receiver with permanent 12v, accessory 12v, ground & a signal wire that feeds into the gauges cluster where one of the cars principal CPU's is integrated. On cars fitted with factory remote locking the receiver plugs into a 5 pin connector and clips in to a space against the side of the car which is just reachable by removing both the trims around the under-dash fusebox. The wiring colours in use on UK cars also differ from the diagram. Honda seem to use a model specific minimum wiring loom, so wiring & connectors for non-standard items is rarely included.

Tapping the wht & wht/red wires from the driver's keyswitch using an aftermarket kit are probably a more guaranteed & cheaper result.
--
TG

guest6092

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 10:36:48 PM »
Thanks for very detailed explanation. Much appreciated.
Only reason i was not inclined to use an aftermarket setup is the wiring hassle. I am not so technical. Saw all those wiring and already my eyes started rolling. and the diagram makes no sense to me, and can't figure out how the wiring diagram and the wireless unit could come together.

Anyways, I tried to find some video on YouTube of how to setup this unit, but can't seem to find any for jazz specially.

Do you have any step by step write up for this?

Also ebay has few different types of wireless unit. One with a cylinder shaped part abd another is without. Not sure which type to buy!!!

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 12:17:14 AM »
It's just about possible to strip down and refurbish the door lock barrel, replacement tumblers are available online, someone with a worn ignition barrel just removed the worst tumblers from it so the key still turned it but it did not register if all 8 points of the profile of the key were correct. An unscrupulous dealer might remove some of the tumblers from a problem door lock.

The eBay keyless units are all universal and can be set up to suit different cars at installation. Most of the wires can be ignored, e.g. you don't need it bibbing the horn, flashing the indicators and closing the windows so the simplest units are probably the best, and you won't need actuators either.

The car's white wire is temporarily grounded to unlock, the white/red is temporarily grounded to lock the central locking, so follow the set up instruction in the kit for 'pulse low' or 'negative trigger'.

Probably best to get someone to install this if you don't want the hassle, it's doable but awkward.

As an example (but not necessarily the same colours as any given kit):

--
TG

guest5826

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 10:50:40 AM »
"The receiver is not included in cars that didn't have remote locking as standard and it's not entirely clear if the wiring exists on all cars to add the Honda receiver, I sent one to somebody but did not hear if it was successfully installed or not. "

Apologies for not replying earlier.  I was not able to find a place to plug in the receiver.  I was waiting for the nicer weather to have one more go at it before giving up.  As TG says, it is very tight.  I think an aftermarket solution is likely the only way. 

guest6092

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 05:41:43 PM »
Thank you both TG and mack62.
Received the unit this morning. Just wondering if you guys can explain how to open the driver door and footwell area to set this thing up please? Or where can i find the relevant information?

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 07:12:04 PM »
Shouldn't need to take off the door panel, the wiring can be done from the footwell. The panel above the pedals is the most useful to remove (twist clip + 2 friction clips along front edge) and it might help to take out the fusebox cover (unclips) and the trim that surrounds it (screws + clip). The wiring diagrams from before will help you find one of the 12v wires and you can use a bolt for the ground connection

There's also a useful connector for the door wiring hidden by the trim around the bonnet release lever.

Probably best to ignore boot release / lights flash / bip horn etc. and I recommend a cushion or a teenage relative.
--
TG

guest6092

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 10:39:07 AM »

Hi TG
This is my fusebox above the pedals. Is this the one you talked about? Can i connect any wires for keyless system to any of this cables?

Also the fusebox cover

Edit: I meant, can I connect specific wires of the keyless receiver to some of the specific ones in fusebox?

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 02:40:05 PM »
That's the place.

Sounds like you might need a hand with this, the wiring is very short and clipped in place, someone who does this regularly might find it easier to do, one wrong connection could trigger a warning light, failure to start or other problem.

It's the white & white/red wires from the door keyswitch you are looking for - they pass down the side of the car to the right of the fusebox, but are in conduit or taped up so not easy to see. You also need to get permanent 12v power and using a fusetap might be the easiest way.

Reaching the door wires is the tricky part, by removing 2 screws you can take out the trim that surrounds the fusebox to give a bit more space to slide a hand in, the panel under the shelf also removes fairly easily (one twist & two friction clips), the trim around the bonnet release also comes off OK (two friction clips).

I'm tempted next time I'm at the scrapyard to remove all the plastic round this area so we can get a good idea of what's going on and get some decent photos, not that keen on taking my own car to bits. The fuse box is also a junction box with many plugs and relays on both sides.
--
TG

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest6092

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 03:18:17 PM »
Ok. That's good. At least I'm in the right place.
Now the hard part is to identify the cables. I have some scotch locks , so cutting and taping the wire wont be a problem.

Another thing is permanent 12v connection. How to do it through the fusetap (I guess fusetaps are the numbered colourful ones in my attached picture)?

If i can identify the cables here, all other door cables also be there right? So, i just wanted to complete the job if I'm gonna get my hand dirty anyway... So what the colours of the other cables?

EDIT: Found add a circuit cable on ebay, but there's 3 different varieties of size. What size of fuse on my circuit board?

guest6092

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2016, 11:31:09 PM »
Hi. TG
Another thought on receiver connection. On the drive door window control, the switch that open/closes all window, can i not connect one of lock and unlock cable of the wireless receiver? Any disadvantage of doing this way?

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 12:09:47 PM »
On the drive door window control, the switch that open/closes all window, can i not connect one of lock and unlock cable of the wireless receiver?
I don't think that works when the car has been deadlocked otherwise you could break the window reach in and press the button. The pair of wires from the door keyswitch are the ones you want. It's possible to trace them down from the rubber grommet between the door and frame, as you can see behind the bonnet release trim there are rather a lot of other wires also in that space.
--
TG

guest6092

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 05:57:12 PM »
Funny enough!!! Button actually works when the car is dead lock (at least it seems like). For example, I lowered the windows and then locked myself in. And pressed the button and doors unlocked!!!
What does that mean? Any electrical fault in the car then???

Tags:

anything