Author Topic: Replacing stock speakers  (Read 7085 times)

phaedra

Replacing stock speakers
« on: April 25, 2016, 06:38:26 PM »
Hi All  :D

First time Jazz owner and first time poster :)

After failing my PIP assessment I've bought a 2013 Jazz SE, picking it up on Wednesday :)

The one thing that stood out during the test drive was the fairly poor sound quality, I drove an ES with the extra rear speakers but that didn't really sound any better!.

I previously had a nice CRV with the sub-woofer system and then a Ford Kuga with the Sony system (not as good as the CRV!) both were acceptable, I'm not looking to blow the windows out, just a fairly decent sound quality.

My question is, will replacing the existing front speakers with a pair of JVC CS-V528 DRVN make a noticeable difference (they're coaxial with an added tweeter)? also, would adding a pair to the rear doors make much of a difference?, most of the time there'd only be me in the car.

Thanks for any advice :)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Replacing stock speakers
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 07:29:44 PM »
Excuse me for perhaps teaching Granny to suck eggs but on a test drive you presumably did not have the opportunity to set the radio up to your own liking.
If the car is used you have no idea how the previous owner had the radio set up if they actually used it.
In my current, 5th, Jazz the radio sounded terrible until I played with the balance, fader, bass and treble settings.

Vic.

phaedra

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 10:31:50 PM »
Thanks for the reply :)

I spent some time going through the settings, couldn't get it to sound "decent" reminded me of the new Qashqai I got after the CRV, what a terrible sound system and car  :D it lasted 6 months before it went back to the dealer (numerous unresolved faults, not because of the sound system!).

phaedra

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 12:35:49 PM »
Did things the "easy" way, replaced the missing rear speakers with the JVCs, I have to say the stock front speakers sound better!.  While the JVCs have a nice treble and clean mid there's no real bass :(

bill ericay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Civic Sport 1.8 Orchid White
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 05:40:00 PM »
This question has been raised several times in the past.
From what I remember, the general advice was that the head unit is the guilty party , not the speakers, as the frequency response of the head unit is rather limited.
I had my Mk2 Jazz for 3 years and also intended to replace the speakers, easier than the head unit and bought some Alpine speakers, but never got round to replacing them as the sound quality gradually improved.
Car audio sites tell you to 'run in ' speakers for many hours to get the best sound quality-- I'm not sure I believed this , but I have to admit the sound quality was more acceptable on the standard unit after I had the car for a year, hence couldn't bother to replace the speakers.
The sound quality was certainly not brilliant, but acceptable for a car.
I would suggest waiting a bit, see if it gets better, and if not do a search on this and the Fit forum-- loads of stuff there.
I don't have the Jazz any more, replaced it with a Civic, and the sound quality is still not brilliant, but it's a car !

Tags:

anything