Author Topic: Hybrid foibles  (Read 4524 times)

guest5611

Hybrid foibles
« on: February 02, 2016, 09:58:18 PM »
Hi all,

As my 5 month-old Jazz HX has "run in" I've noticed some odd, in some cases, concerning behaviours with the car and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced similar.

On a couple of recent occasions, in cold or damp conditions, within a few hundred metres of starting off, the engine and transmission system seem to get stuck in a state where the rev counter sticks at about 2,200rpm (even when the car is coasting).  If the MFD is to be believed, the regenerative braking is still working on the downhill and the IMA is cutting in under load but the revs sound abnormally high and constant in pitch and, although the car still seems to manage to respond when the accelerator pedal is pressed, there's very little power available.  The second occurrence was this morning and the only way I could clear the problem was to pull over, switch the ignition off, then restart it.  I'm thinking of taking it into the garage to get this looked at, but since it happens intermittently, it is going to be hard to reproduce so I wondered if it is a problem that anyone else has encountered and might know more about?

Over the last two or three months, it seems to have got more hit-and-miss as to whether the auto-stop activates or not when the car comes to a halt.  I know it doesn't trigger when the engine is cold but I've noticed that, even when warm, sometimes the auto-stop triggers and sometimes not, and it doesn't seem to correlate to ambient temperature, rate of deceleration or load due to ancillary systems such as lights and heater. 

Every time I get the car out of the garage, there are a few drops of water on the garage floor, roughly corresponding to where the back of the engine compartment has been.  I get the impression they are only produced at the time when the car is started up because there is not enough water present for it to have been dripping for a prolonged period.  I wondered if there was a drain point in the exhaust system which might be the cause of this?

The fuel economy seems to have dropped from more than 61mpg (reported by the MFD display in the car) back in September to about 55mpg on the same route recently.  I guess this is partly due to increased usage of lights and heater, and probably the cooler temperatures affecting the battery performance, but it still seems quite a substantial reduction.  Any comments?

All advice and experience gratefully received.

Cheers,

Mister P

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
Re: Hybrid foibles
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 10:34:32 PM »
Don't worry, about the water on the floor, Mr P.

It is condensation, from the air conditioner. I have mine set to auto climate control.

I have a 12" plantpot saucer, in place. And, empty it, as necessary.......
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 10:41:37 PM »
All vehicle increase fuel consumption in cold weather, yours mpg reduction normal.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 10:54:53 PM »
I no longer have my HS, but it never showed the problem you are describing. My main complaint about the hybrid system was switching from assist to charge when going up a long hill.

Winter is bad for the mpg and the drop you are seeing is plausible. It takes longer for everything to warm up; there is greater use of ancilliaries; the cold air is denser and gives more wind reistance; and there's more windy weather around. I have the gut feeling that wet roads have higher rolling resistance than dry ones, but have never read anything to substantiate this.

Factors affecting the auto stop include too many stop-starts within a certain time period or the engine getting hot. This is noticeable in stop-start queuing traffic where, after a few stops and starts the car decides to keep the engine running. Heating or air conditioning requirements will also influence whether the computer decides to keep the engine running. There is some discussion in the handbook.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 08:04:40 AM by John Ratsey »
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest5251

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 06:57:43 PM »
stop start systems regardless of manufacturer are never that good sometimes they work and sometimes they dont
thats just the way they are,the system will work perfectly on the 30th of feb 2016 though.

guest5251

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 09:36:37 AM »
with regrads to the water on the floor get a piece of tissue and blot it up
you will be able to see if it has any colour
i.e. red / pink - antifreeze
blue - screen wash
clear - rainwater / air con pipes defrosted

dfconnolly

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e-HEV EX and 2019 CRV e-HEV SR
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 05:06:07 PM »
Hi, I've had my hybrid for over 4 years and 40000 miles now and all the things that you mention are typical attributes. In Winter on plus 10 miles journeys mpg falls to low 50s rising to 60ish in Summer. I have monitored mpg against actual fuel input and this has averaged out at 55.5 overall. One thing I have noticed is that if you deliberately turn the engine off during the First mile or two from a cold start then restart it, it takes an age for the clutch to engage and if gas is applied it happens with a bit of a violent shunt. This phenomenon disappears once everything is warmed up.
We have had 4 jazzes since 2002 and my wife now has my hybrid, we sold a 2005 SE CVT privately for £2500 and I now have a Civic tourer 1.6 which betters the hybrid mpg .....,.I got 64mpg on the last tankfull but we still like the auto and stop start of the hybrid.
From the advert "Who knows where you’ll go?"

Tags: