Author Topic: wheel cleaning  (Read 7990 times)

guest5079

wheel cleaning
« on: May 23, 2015, 11:51:54 AM »
I use Autoglym wheel cleaner but given a shower of rain and the alloy is covered in streaks etc. I have read that 'Rim Wax' is a useful product that not only keeps alloy wheels looking cleaner longer it is also a protector.
Any experience?

guest4078

• Topic Starter
Re: wheel cleaning
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 11:34:13 AM »
Best place to ask:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/

Lots of pro's and obsessives.

guest5251

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 10:12:28 PM »
as long as your wheels are washed regulary you shouldn't have the need to use wheel cleaner,wheel cleaner is needed when the dust builds up and sticks onto the lacquer after weeks of not being washed.
i like to wash my car often but i also polish the wheels using meguiars to help protect the alloys from any dust that does get onto the wheels.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 04:57:10 PM »
Old topic, but we have to keep our wheels clean and shiny always. ;)

A lot of wheel cleaners are not the safest for your wheels. It is too aggressive! I use natural soap in luke warm water on my alloy wheels. I make a solution in a spray bottle as well as in a bucket, spray the wheels and after a few minutes i sponge with the soap in the bucket and a microfiber cloth all the dirt away. Rinse with clean water and dry them. Cheap and good cleaner, but more important, safe for the car and the wax. :)

Last week i did the wheels of my dad's car on my 'natural' way, and they weren't washed for about 3 months. Half an hour, a piece of clay and some wax later they were shining as new!
When i don't have time to wash our entire car, or the weather is too bad, i only do the wheels. They are waxed with the car last October and weekly cleaning is only 5 minutes of work. :)

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 07:21:42 PM »
Yes, cleaning only the wheels is a good way of making your car look brighter, especially if you have a silver car, they hardly show the dirt.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 10:54:48 AM »
Thank you for the input. I have tried just using the shampoo that I use for the car and as you say, the wheels come clean. I use Autoglym car shampoo.
Yes as you say a silver car doesn't show the dirt but after the past few weeks, the Jazz is filthy. At the moment we are experiencing high wind speed and torrential rain with the prospect of yet another wet and windy week. So I am ashamed to say the car stays dirty.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 11:22:05 AM »
I had a couple of silver cars,  didn't need more than a quick hose down more than twice a year,  miss them now I have 'Urban Titanium' (Browny Bronze colour) that means I have to hose the car with cold fresh water at least 3 times a year,  what a waste of time !!   I concentrate on the mechanical health of the car,  not the appearance.  I hose off the underside  to get salt and stuff off there more than i ever do the wheels and top bits - I think dirt is like sunscreen and protects the paint (except bird poo which I always remove as soon as I see it).  I do see cars around that are pretty clean except for the rear number plate,  which mysteriously never seems to be clean enough to read ! wonder why - if plod sees this he should pull the car over and get his ticket book out.

I remember a book by Shirley Conran called 'life is too short to stuff a mushroom'  (in other words why would you go to the trouble of carefully preparing small mushrooms just for show at a cocktail / dinner party when there were so many other more important things to spend your time on).  She is known for coining the phrases "Life is too short to stuff a mushroom" and "First things first, second things never"

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 03:38:13 PM »
Our Jazz, yes silver, IS dirty now, with shining wheels, hahaha. Two times a year a quick hose is not keeping it shiny enough. I do the wheels every week because then it's an easy job to keep them clean. When i have time (after the carnival here) i will pamper the car in a lovely bath of Dodo Juice Born to be Mild. ;)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 05:57:00 PM »
I do it's worth keeping the wheels clean as once the brake dust builds up and eats into the paint they are a pig to get clean without using highly acidic wheel cleaners.

I wish I could be a bit more like Culzean - I do tend to obsess a bit about cleaning and the methods you should use. I've spent more money on bits of cleaning stuff than is strictly necessary as well.

Tags:

anything