Author Topic: Shudder on braking  (Read 4322 times)

finn_mccool

• Approved Member
    • The Camper Vansit
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4i-DSI SE Sport
Shudder on braking
« on: October 26, 2014, 12:53:05 PM »
2005 1.4 SE Sport

When braking at high speed the car feels like it is shuddering.  Also, when I brake at low speed (say, when in traffic), I can hear a slight knocking noise, and slightly changing resistance on the braking, for each rotation of the front driver's side wheel.

Any ideas?

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Re: Shudder on braking
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 02:39:25 PM »
Sounds like the front brake discs are warped.

Tonybaloney

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4-DSI SE Sport
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 02:50:39 PM »
I would say disks warped too :-(

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 04:00:05 PM »
How many miles has the car done and do you know if discs have ever been changed ? Have a look at the discs, if there is a deep shoulder at the very outside edges it may be that disc(s) have worn below their minimum allowed thickness and may have warped because of that.  Have the pads recently been changed ? there are two types of pad, abrasive and adhesive.  The abrasive type is Honda standard, and although it wears the disc more quickly it keeps disc clean and effective during use.  If adhesive pads have recently been fitted they build up an 'adhesive' layer on the disc, if this layer is uneven for any reason  it can cause symptoms of a warped disc and will need removing with very fine emery paper.

If the disc is warped you will get a pulsing feedback through brake pedal (similar to, but not to be confused with ABS feedback when wheels are locking up due to lack of grip).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 04:13:13 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 10:12:32 AM »
Always check your tyres first : pressures, tread , and bulges on the inner and outer sidewalls. Some faults will give poor breaking and shuddering - especially bulges.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 03:19:33 PM »
Some faults will give poor breaking and shuddering - especially bulges.

Agreed, a few years ago my OH had a Mazda 2 which developed a shudder, on inspection I found a nice size bulge on the inside of a front tyre, a new tyre cured the problem.

Tags: