Author Topic: New Jazz Hybrid  (Read 11868 times)

guest4078

Re: New Jazz Hybrid
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 08:17:57 PM »
So, Rudy has arrived. Bright and early at 07.30 this morning, on the back of a transporter from Newcastle via Arnold Clark; Vertu Honda and Marshall Honda in Leicester.

All gleaming red and looking and smelling 'new car'. It is the HS specification and so it has quite a good array of bits and bobs, some good and some just a bit silly. Good supportive seats with a better range of adjustment than previously - full width adjuster bar for back/forward seat adjustment, sensible levers for backrest and height adjustment. Seat armrest. BIG mirrors. Even more space in the back. Front quarter lights that you can see through. Also, auto lights and auto wipers, do they really think I can't tell if it is raining or dark? Too many choices on the radio controls not just on/off.

So, my first drive. Whilst I have had a few autos, I have neved owned a CVT, and only ever drove a DAF a few miles years ago. Engine runs very quiet, select D, amazing. So smooth and responsive, very intuitive to drive, not what I was expecting. Brakes very positive and smooth considering the 7 miles at delivery. Steering a good deal more positive than previously, more feel and more defined at straight ahead. Suspension much improved, a very much nicer ride, better than the new 1.2S we have, maybe the extra weight of the batteries?

So, it has now done 46 miles, and whilst it is not a sports car nor engaging as a drivers car, it is immediately pleasant, restful and easily a nice place to be. The stop/start was a bit scary at first, but a definite plus 1 for all The.Scarecrow's comments. No post-purchase dissonance in evidence today. I will leave it a while and then do a bit more on how it is driving, including mpg. I would say that with my short trip working days, 58 mpg as an average would not be too shabby.

guest4796

• Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 09:14:22 PM »
I did a couple of short journeys today. I'm still bowled over by the quiet comfortable ride. Seats firm and comfortable, very little engine/gearbox noise, smooth as silk CVT acceleration and Instrument visibility is state of the art. I started trying to find places to put the bits and pieces recovered from the Picasso. Not easy because the myriad of small compartments all tend to be too small or shallow to put anything in. Obviously a Honda plot to prevent you carrying stuff you really don't need. The box of spare light bulbs and fuses provided by Honda refused to fit in any compartment. Am I just being ungrateful?

It's on Michelin tyres giving a quiet ride and good feeling to the steering. It includes a Jack, Spanner, Sealant and electric pump tucked away in two small compartments in the boot. All round visibility is good, no obvious blind spots. I second the door mirrors are HUGE giving excellent rear visibility but they sure look vulnerable, always fold them in when parked I think.

Auto Stop/Start, this is going to need getting used to. Its clearly well engineered starting quickly without any fuss the instant you take your foot off the brake when in Drive. At traffic lights it works great, I hope it doesn't irritate other drivers behind in the dark having to stare at my brake lights though. Roundabouts are much more difficult, if you can't time it just right the engine stops even while the car is still moving forward. If just after you arrive a small gap is available, the split second delay starting the engine is just enough to get you into trouble on gaps that would be just comfortable without this Start/Stop feature. My son who has been driving for two years said he will turn that off when he drives the car because he thinks its a bit too risky for him. Then again, he doesn't pay for the petrol.

For monitoring the running costs I'm using an Android App called My Cars (Fuel logger++). It will take a few weeks before it can produce any useful information but it looks very good.

guest4078

• Topic Starter
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 06:22:07 PM »
Really rather pleased...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tags:

anything