Author Topic: TomTom and the USB port  (Read 7051 times)

Pugsley

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 JAZZ EX NAVI I-VTEC
TomTom and the USB port
« on: August 05, 2013, 05:03:50 PM »
Hi all.

I have just bought a 2012 1.4i-VTEC ES Jazz with my old 2008 model in PX.  The new Jazz has a USB port and will shortly have the cable to plug in when the dealer sends it to me.  Have any of you attempted to run a TomTom Via from the port, as that is what I would like to do. 

The Honda main dealer doesn't know whether I can do this and two abortive emails to Honda UK Customer Services still leave me not knowing.

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
Re: TomTom and the USB port
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 04:39:10 PM »
It depends on the current draw of your tomtom device and whether your USB port is for charging and reading music files. If it is only for reading music files, then it may not have the capacity for charging/powering an external device - ending up with a blown fuse. But I suspect the tomtom should be fine.

Why don't you use the 12V cigarette lighter instead? Most satnavs are powered from the cig lighter.

If you use the tomtom a lot, it may be worth considering having this hard-wired into the car to free up your 12v cig lighter and have a neater install - rather than have wires dangling everywhere.

Pugsley

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 05:59:29 PM »
Thanks for the response and advice SuperCNJ.  The handbook does imply that it is only for MP3 players etc, we will see when the cable arrives.

Using the cig lighter for the Sat Nav will be the way forward if the USB doesn't support the Sat Nav.  Trouble is that I do have a horrible habit of leaving the plug for it at home!!

guest4038

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 09:26:47 AM »
Why not keep the plug in the car or buy a spare - that's what I had to do  ;D

Pugsley

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 10:51:02 AM »
Yep - That may be a good idea, then I can leave them both indoors. ;D  You never know, the USB may work then I wouldn't need either of them

Pugsley

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 12:30:23 PM »
Got the cable from the dealer, plugged it in, whacked in the TomTom lead...............................IT WORKED!!! :o

Tags:

anything