Author Topic: New kid on the block  (Read 3140 times)

guest4179

New kid on the block
« on: August 02, 2013, 08:19:51 PM »
Came across this website when I commenced a search on Google for advice on servicing my Jazz.

Used to do all my own vehicle maintenance when there was sufficient room in the engine bay to comfortably reach the spark plugs, distributor, filters and other regular service items. (Giving away my age!)
Gave up trying to be a contortionist and with advent of electronics and service/maintenance plans, I left it to the dealers to keep the car in good shape.
However, I've decided to try my hand at DIY again due to the costs and quality of repairs I have had to put up with since the expiry of the service plan.

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
Re: New kid on the block
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 11:12:39 AM »
Hello and welcome  8)

guest4179

• Topic Starter
Re: New kid on the block
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 05:41:47 PM »
Thank you Garyman.
Today I open the manual and read on some 'Drive way maintenace'.
Check the oil: OK
Check coolant level: Scrape knuckles trying to undo reservoir cap. The tube in the overflow tank is dry so level is below minimum. Knuckles get skimmed.....Blood...Bandaid applied.
Undo radiatior cap and probe with with straw to ascertain level as I can't see it.
Off to supermarket to obtain 'radiator muti' (Real South African expression!)
Add to radiator and replace cap.
Decide to see how traumatic it is to remove spark plug. Removed  nš 1 cylinder and manage. No additonal plasters were needed.
Remove the cover for the air filter. Bottom right hand Philips screw has been seriously over tightened.
Sukkel my moer af  (In English: battled to unscrew it). More plasters.

Checked  rear brake drums and were amazed that they were still OK after 140,000km.

I'm not convinced that I'm going to cope with the very confined space in the engine compartment.

Tags: