Author Topic: What oil do you use?  (Read 66650 times)

guest2853

Re: What oil do you use?
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2011, 09:16:08 AM »
As soon as the car will be out of warranty - 5w40 SM

guest3113

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2012, 07:07:41 PM »
Thread revival time.
Is slick 50 the same as moyslip?
Is off put that in my vespa, engine..  ;D

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2012, 03:16:45 PM »
No Jeff. Molyslip is molydenum disulphide/graphite based,Slick 50 isn't.
I don't believe modern engines need these additives,just good quality oil and filter and six monthly changes.

Vic.

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2013, 09:55:54 PM »
Does anyone know if the GL-5 gearbox oil could be used in the GD Jazz gearbox or only the GL-4?

I`ve bought earlier an Eneos 75W90 GL-5 oil (link), (2l) fully synthetic but what Castrol recommends is GL-4 with the same viscosity.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 10:39:14 PM by DV »

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2013, 07:48:55 PM »
I just bought some a 4 L bottle of Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 A1 fully synthetic off Amazon.

When quoted for a service recently the dealer said he uses 10W 40. ????

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2013, 08:08:31 PM »
I'm amazed a dealer would even be able to quote the SAE spec, did you get offered a free coffee if you booked the Jazz in ?

DrShockr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 CVT in Bright Blue!
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2013, 08:16:40 PM »
I recently had the oil changed at my local independent for my 2005 jazz with 90k. I supplied Castrol edge 0w30 but mechanic said it would not be wise to use such a thin oil in an engine with that mileage even if it is recommended by Honda/Castrol. He advised to use 5w30 which I did go with (triple qx brand) and returned the 0w30. Was his argument correct?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2013, 08:23:19 PM »
I'm amazed a dealer would even be able to quote the SAE spec, did you get offered a free coffee if you booked the Jazz in ?

he was able to quote the SAE spec because he had several 45 gallon drums of the stuff in his workshop , never uses any other grade and uses it in gearboxes as well as engines (despite the fact gearbox oil needs extreme pressure additives).

Magnatec 5W-30 A1 is a fuel saving oil because of its lower viscosity and is no problem at all in UK climate (probably better in the lower temperatures we are now seeing now that 'global warming' or 'climate change' has now changed once again and is now officially 'global cooling' - maybe we are not producing ENOUGH C02 now - we all need to drive our cars more to warm the earth up again).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2013, 08:31:05 PM »
I recently had the oil changed at my local independent for my 2005 jazz with 90k. I supplied Castrol edge 0w30 but mechanic said it would not be wise to use such a thin oil in an engine with that mileage even if it is recommended by Honda/Castrol. He advised to use 5w30 which I did go with (triple qx brand) and returned the 0w30. Was his argument correct?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

on any other engine than a Honda his argument may have been correct because as 'inferior'  (ie non Honda) engines wear the bearing clearances get bigger and oil pressure can drop if the 'thinner' oil can flow through too fast through the bigger gaps and the oil pump cannot supply the extra volume of oil.  But with a Honda engine it is barely run in at 90K and the oil pump will easily cope. (then again he had big drums of 5W-30 in the back and wanted to make the sale >:( )
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: