Author Topic: Anyone increase tyre Psi in cold weather?  (Read 2515 times)

Annastesia

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.3
Anyone increase tyre Psi in cold weather?
« on: January 20, 2024, 10:36:33 PM »

Is it ok to increase tyre psi by 1/2 more during cold weather as the can deflate easier, or is it best/safer to stick to the manufactors recommended psi all year round?

Not sure whether to inflate them higher or just keep topping them up to recommended.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
Re: Anyone increase tyre Psi in cold weather?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 11:49:38 PM »
Personally I just stick to the standard setting but do check them frequently especially if the temperature changes significantly.
A couple of psi either side of the recommended value isn't particularly important,  it's usually a bit of a compromise anyway,  but always advisable to keep near to standard. Some cars recommend quite big differences for fully loaded use.
To keep things simple I use 33psi all round on my Jazz, if I keep to that the tyre pressure warning doesn't give false warnings once calibrated.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 07:41:33 AM »
Is it ok to increase tyre psi by 1/2 more during cold weather …

I’m not sure why you would want to do that, what advantage would it bring?

The laws of thermodynamics mean that the pressure will drop with temperature so the “resting” tyre pressure may well be a bit lower than expected when measured in very cold weather, but the tyres will warm up when driving and restore the pressures. You shouldn’t get any TPMS warnings because that system detects differences between wheels, and cold weather should cause all pressures to change equally.

Summary: no, don’t bother.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2024, 07:46:08 AM »
do you mean by 0.5 psi?

If so a good calibrated gauge would be required to do so.

In snow reducing pressure would be better to increase tread contact area.

Bur for 'normal' drivers/cars best leave as standard. If crash incident happens and tyre pressure deliberately altered you may have a difficulty.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 07:12:29 PM by aphybrid »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2024, 08:00:05 AM »
Same as ColinB for me

I've never seen any hard evidence but I've always guessed that once the tyres warm up there will be little or no difference
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2024, 02:29:39 PM »
 Air becomes denser and takes up less space as it gets colder  so  you will probably have to add air in the winter to bring it back up to the correct pressure . I keep to the same recommended pressures, front and rear, all year round.

You may need to top them up  anyway as  tyres tend to lose about 1 psi a month   because air permeates through the rubber.
When warm weather returns you might need to let a bit of air out again.  But in practice I normally find they have lost enough anyway  through permeation.  You may even need to add air.

BTW always measure when the tyres are 'cold ' ie before driving off.  They warm up as you drive ,the air expands  and  gives a higher pressure reading. This is normal, and is allowed for.  If you check your pressures after having driven for a while  they will be higher than normal. Dont let air out to reduce them.  If you need to drive to a garage to use the air line  add a psi or two above the recommended pressure to allow for the tyres being warm.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 02:46:35 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2024, 03:15:48 PM »
Yes, I had to add 5 psi all round when the temps dropped
Let's be careful out there !

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2024, 04:31:33 PM »
Ask any tyre fitter, the majority of motorist's drive around with under inflated tyres.
A couple of lbs won't hurt matters.

Tags: