Author Topic: Redex  (Read 1386 times)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Redex
« on: October 19, 2022, 04:15:24 PM »
Bought two bottles of Redex at £2.50 for Clubcard members. Seems like a good price to me.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
Re: Redex
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 06:31:35 AM »
Out of curiosity - which one of the three used on petrol engines (I think your model petrol?) .

Is there something in engine performance causing concern?

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 09:08:48 AM »
Out of curiosity - which one of the three used on petrol engines (I think your model petrol?) .

Is there something in engine performance causing concern?

Just the regular petrol one. I occasionally put a full bottle into a tank just to keep things running smoothly. So one bottle is for the Jazz and one for my RAV4.

FordPrefect8

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2012 EX 1.4 Manual Red
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2022, 10:13:47 AM »
Bought two bottles of Redex at £2.50 for Clubcard members. Seems like a good price to me.

I think Redex, if memory serves, was mainly kerosene. I use and recommend Redline SL-1 which has the most amount of PEA on the market.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2022, 12:12:40 PM »
I put Redex Pre-MOT in prior to last year's MOT and I will do the same this year.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2022, 09:56:52 PM »
I think Redex, if memory serves, was mainly kerosene. I use and recommend Redline SL-1 which has the most amount of PEA on the market.

While injector cleaners can be beneficial when needed, I'd only consider using them if there was a real identified need. Potentially PEA additives can contribute to crankcase sludging https://www.sae.org/publications/technical-papers/content/2020-01-2100/
Generally speaking here in the UK the fuels are good enough to mean that regular use of cleaners is not really justified. Having said that, occasional use is unlikely to be detrimental. Certainly in carburettor engines especially if used infrequently they can be helpful in removing varnish/gum resulting from evaporated fuel.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 12:27:26 AM by embee »

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2022, 12:54:56 PM »
My use of Redex has resulted in zero change in driving characteristics, mpg, smoothness, or anything tangible.
Ditto high octane petrols.

SO I don't use them.

Tags:

anything