Author Topic: Water ingress in rear passenger footwell  (Read 7119 times)

guest1572

Water ingress in rear passenger footwell
« on: August 26, 2010, 01:10:21 AM »
Hi, any further or new information greatly received. I've just done a search for information regarding the considerable soaking of the carpet under the rear passenger side seat. My Jazz is on an 03 plate. I've only had the car since Feb this year and hadn't noticed any dampness until now. Monday we had torrential rain, and I was surprised to find that the rubberised carpet mat was soaking and yet the carpet underneath appeared dry. I have since removed the mat and have now noticed along with more heavy rain that there is a good quantity of water now in the rear  passenger footwell. Could this be the doorseals that I have read about or the rear wheel well causing the issue ? as previously read.

The car is normally parked going up the hill, but is parallel to the camber of the road and yet it is the higher side that is wet; the drivers side is closest to the pavement, and this appears to have remained dry.

I have now repositioned the car downhill to see if this has any difference on the amount of water that comes in.

If it is the door seals, should I anticipate that all the seals will fail, or does it depend on the temperature and positioning or manufactured year of the car?

One final question? I presume that if done correctly the problem should be cured, but how often are the seals likely to fail and what is the likely cost of replacing the seals as it is now out of warranty?

We live in the damp and temperate Southwest of England. 

Geoffers

• Topic Starter
Re: Water ingress in rear passenger footwell
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 07:52:30 AM »
Hmmmm! I would also check the window seals on the nearest door. Could be that the water is coming via the inside of the door!

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 08:40:28 AM »
1st check for signs of accident damage, then apply light grease to door and boot seals open/close check for any gaps etc.
Water will always find the lowest level so tracing source on any car be tricky.
Then get your assistant to spray water from above with you in the car with mats carpet out to check for signs
If all this fails contact the last owner and ask them or wait for a better solution on this forum.

guest990

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 06:21:52 AM »
Remove the door lining(s) on that side of the car.
Check the thin plastic membrane that is glued to the door to make sure that it is still sealed all the way around.
I live in Queensland Australia.
Because the drivers side is always parked towards the sun, the black sealer actually softened and left a gap between the membrane and the door and caused the same problem.
Once both doors were re-sealed with a different type of sealer the problem was gone. :D

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual

Tags:

anything