Author Topic: Oil light after repairs.  (Read 1553 times)

0121tasha

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 05
Oil light after repairs.
« on: January 15, 2019, 07:16:55 PM »
Help. I needed a new starter motor so had a mobile mechanic come and sort this... Whilst doing it he had to take off the oil filter and put back on apparently... He says he topped up oil and now the oil lights on.
The car sounds fine and feels fine. He says wait a few days as it might clear. I'm not sure I'm comfortable doing this..... Any one any clues or advice.... Ps incase you Havnt noticed I know almost nothing about cars and don't have much money so fingers crossed!
Thanks

I've a honda jazz 05

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Oil light after repairs.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 07:36:18 PM »
Help. I needed a new starter motor so had a mobile mechanic come and sort this... Whilst doing it he had to take off the oil filter and put back on apparently... He says he topped up oil and now the oil lights on.
The car sounds fine and feels fine. He says wait a few days as it might clear. I'm not sure I'm comfortable doing this..... Any one any clues or advice.... Ps incase you Havnt noticed I know almost nothing about cars and don't have much money so fingers crossed!
Thanks

I've a honda jazz 05

Never ignore the oil light - have you looked at dipstick to see if any oil on it ? Open the bonnet and in front of the engine is a Orange handle, pull it out of tube and wipe it clean with a tissue then push it fully back into the tube, pull it back out and see how far the oil goes up the flattened hatched plastic area - should be halfway .  If you not happy to do that call the mechanic who did the work and ask him to do it.  Oil lights do not just go off on their own ( unless he broke it or the wiring while he was messing about ). If no oil showing on dipstick do not drive the car,  is there a pool of oil under car ? Put a clean sheet of cardboard or newspaper under front of car and see if any oil leaking, maybe from filter.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

0121tasha

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 07:45:05 PM »
Hi thanks for getting back.... Oil is pretty much at max mark. Havnt noticed any leaks but have put some cardboard under to check in the morning.
Don't know if I'm hoping for a leak or not lol

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 08:38:28 PM »
Don't hope for a leak. Chances are the pressure switch or it's associated wiring has been disturbed or damaged. The oil pressure switch is on the front of the engine, directly above the oil filter. Make sure the wiring has not been unplugged by accident. Personally I would not drive the car until wiring has been checked and, if okay, pressure switch has been changed. A new pressure switch is only about a fiver and easily changed by any DIY mechanic. I would suggest you don't use the one you used last time! He sounds a right numpty.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 08:40:50 PM by Jocko »

0121tasha

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 08:42:51 PM »
Thanks I've text the mechanic to see what he says... Really do need my car so  🤞
Might pop to garage tomorrow as its only 5 mins so should be OK 🤔

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 08:54:14 PM »
It does sound like there's a chance he may have disturbed the oil pressure switch or the wiring.

In any case, 5 minutes is plenty of time to find out if there is any oil pressure!  :'(

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 08:55:06 PM »
As jocko says the oil pressure sensor is directly above the oil filter and directly below the starter motor - right in the area where the mechanic would have been working and no doubt swearing ( starter motors are such a pain ).  I would guess the sensor connector may have been broken and / or wiring has been disturbed.  It looks as though you have plenty of oil though and I would be happy to drive it short distances if you have to get to work
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

0121tasha

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 09:01:32 PM »
Thank you... Can stop looking for new cars lol.... Very quick to panic... Will be going straight to garage in morning

Tags:

anything