Author Topic: ABS pump failure  (Read 7161 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
ABS pump failure
« on: January 12, 2019, 04:10:22 PM »
After a period of the ABS light illuminating at random, it decided it was going to stay on permanently so I finally got round to pulling the fault codes from the ABS modulator -

61-1 Battery Voltage Failure
53-1 ABS Pump Motor Relay Short Circuit
51-1 ABS Pump Motor Failure

This all points to motor failure, and with a bit of confidence from this excellent post by Brendan976, I removed the motor from the pump to investigate further.

It is a bit fiddly to remove the motor, but fairly straightforward. First of all, isolate the ABS modulator by disconnecting the multi-plug. After marking the top of the motor casing to show orientation on reassembly, remove the two 4mm capheads and withdraw the motor carefully, it pulls out about an inch or so before the contacts are free and you can manoeuvre the motor around the brake pipes and out. Make sure you don't lose the gasket.

The motor was not seized or tight, so I split the motor apart. After cleaning the carbon build up, it was obvious what the problem was - the motor brushes were worn out, and at the extent of their travel. I have cleaned the motor up and reassembled for the time being, I managed to tweak the braids of the brushes a little to allow them to move in a fraction, but it won't last long. Now I know what the problem is, I can source or improvise some suitable replacement brushes.

Refitting the motor to the ABS modulator is fiddly too, roughly align the offset on the shaft with the corresponding hole in the pump before inserting, and gently ease the two contacts back into their holes. If it's lined up correctly, it will go in very easily - do not force it. Replace the two capheads, making sure the gasket is in place.

Splitting the motor is a bit delicate, but if anyone is interested, I'll post a procedure and maybe some pics when I get some new brushes.

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
Re: ABS pump failure
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 11:47:30 PM »
Thanks. A very informative post that will no doubt help someone down the line when finding it from a search.

sparky Paul

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 10:10:01 AM »
I know many members won't want to go this deep into jobs like this, but a few of you seem to like tinkering. If your ABS pump is kaput and you are looking at replacement anyway, it might be worth having a play with the old one first.

The way I look at it, all of these cars are now 10+ years old - any secondhand ABS modulators could well be on their last legs too.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 01:44:12 PM »
Are the brushes soldered  or crimped ?

sparky Paul

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 02:19:40 PM »
Are the brushes soldered  or crimped ?

The braids are spot welded onto the back of the external connectors, I'm afraid it doesn't look like they ever intended these to be repairable. I will leave a tail and solder the new ones on as near to the terminals as possible.

The brushes are quite small, 4x4.5mm with the braid coming out of the short side, I would guess they would have been 9-10mm long when new. I found some similar from suppliers in China, but I have ordered some cheaper ones from a local supplier which are a slightly bigger... a bit of modification will be in order.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 04:06:13 PM »
At least they are easy enough to buff down to size. Like you, I have had to "fit" many a set of brushes over the years.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 05:34:09 PM »
I reckon its worthwhile to replicate any profile the original brushes have before fixing new brushes in place.

sparky Paul

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 11:50:02 AM »
Well, the ABS light came back on this week, so I guess I will be fitting the replacement brushes when I get a chance. Fiddling with it made it last another couple of months, and the worst of the weather seems to have passed, so that's not so bad.

Car is ready for a good service too.

Brendan976

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 1 Gd 2004,dsi cvt 1.4
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 08:20:29 PM »
Paul,
If you could post the abs pump disassemble process I will be obliged as I will do my old pump when the Chinese brushes which I ordered from eBay arrive.

Tia
Ben

sparky Paul

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 11:18:24 PM »
Paul,
If you could post the abs pump disassemble process I will be obliged as I will do my old pump when the Chinese brushes which I ordered from eBay arrive.

Tia
Ben

PM sent

sparky Paul

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 04:30:36 PM »
Ben, as you can't seem to attach photos to PMs, I've added a photo below of the washer arrangement on the back of the armature on mine. Hope it helps with yours.

If it's not clear, the spring washer goes on the shaft first, with the tangs towards the armature, then the thin silvery washer goes on the back of that.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 04:41:17 PM by sparky Paul »

Brendan976

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 01:53:33 PM »
Paul
Thanks for that, I will now repair the old ABS motor. I ordered some brushes from eBay/ China. They are much bigger than the originals but will file done just fine.

Ben

Brendan976

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2019, 05:51:41 PM »
Hi
Just installed the new brushes in the abs motor, took a fair bit of filling down as they we much bigger that the originals, and the braiding was shorter. I had to solder the old and the new braiding together. The motor is now installed and working fine.
Ben

sparky Paul

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 05:58:33 PM »
Just installed the new brushes in the abs motor, took a fair bit of filling down as they we much bigger that the originals, and the braiding was shorter.

I managed to find some 6x5x14mm here in the UK, so only took a few minutes to rub down, and the braids were about the length of the longest one. took the length down to about 10mm, which looked about right.

dg

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2002 1.4 SE + 2015 1.3 S
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2019, 08:36:21 PM »
Thanks for this thread sparky Paul!
Replaced motor only on mine, would not have realised it's possible, and pipes were seized..

Tags: