Author Topic: Shocks  (Read 2494 times)

copelandbc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2
Shocks
« on: October 23, 2018, 09:19:24 PM »
Been advised I will soon need a new shock absorber as it is leaking (rear). Should I replace the 2 at the same time?

Any estimate of Honda dealer costs?  And what make do Jazzers recommend?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Shocks
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 10:58:00 PM »
I would replace as an axle pair, unless nearly new and you are replacing one like for like. Avoid no-name and cheap brands you have never heard of, they don't last. Fit a known brand such as Kayaba (KYB), Sachs, Monroe, etc.

Can't help with dealer costs, I only use a garage for my MOTs, but rear shocks is a straightforward job that any competent garage should be able to do while you wait.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 11:03:13 PM »
Shocks should always be replaced in pairs

Monroe and kyb are some that come to mind, there are others I am sure someone will mention

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 08:22:39 AM »
If you are into motoring on a shoestring one shock will do.
If you drive hard then two..
It's not as if replacing two saves time on replacing them singly...

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 08:27:51 AM »
If you are into motoring on a shoestring one shock will do.
If you drive hard then two..
It's not as if replacing two saves time on replacing them singly...

I disagree.  They should always be replaced in pairs.  It shouldn't be about time and cost, it's about stability and safety.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 09:12:32 AM »
Was quoted £229 3 yrs ago by main dealer. Long story short, they said the shocks were leaking. So I asked my independent garage to have a look-they were dry!  If were you take it to a local trusted independent for value and 2nd opinion.

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 04:51:52 PM »
I used to believe in replacing in pairs till a ford dealer changed one on a service, I queried changing the pair, he reasoned that you wouldn't change both tyres when only one was knackered, the other shock either works fine or it doesn't.
I'd also get it done at a local independent, more chance of an honest 2nd opinion and advice on what brands of shocks you can trust, and will be cheaper. They can probably get you a generic one (or two) that meet original standards substantially cheaper than Honda dealer.

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 05:59:06 PM »
I would change both, there must be a tiny amount of difference in compression between old and new.

https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/japanparts/7901760?gshp=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpOOTisaf3gIV5pXtCh1BGAcKEAQYASABEgKe7_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 06:20:42 PM »
I would change both, there must be a tiny amount of difference in compression between old and new.

https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/japanparts/7901760?gshp=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpOOTisaf3gIV5pXtCh1BGAcKEAQYASABEgKe7_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have changed single shocks before,  as mickthemonster says,  they either work or they don't.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 08:52:57 PM »
Looking back at my old service history, I changed a front left shock on my Toyota Verso. I also changed a spring by it self on my Ibiza, though did changed both shocks in July because they were leaking.

(I, as in my independent garage...) Lol!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 08:55:15 PM by 123Drive! »

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 09:02:10 PM »
Funny thing is that in the old days, I think the common view was that they should always be changed in pairs for obvious reasons. It seems these days, one is OK, presumably because tolerances and quality are that much better. I think the one and only time I had to change a shock (rear) was sometime last century when I had a mini. Took about ten minutes. One of the more straightforward jobs on that car.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 11:46:34 AM »
I would go down to your local breakers yard find a similar model Jazz check the mileage etc take a look at the rear units & get both sides, rears are easier fit than fronts.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 12:00:30 PM »
I've tended to go along with the "replace in pairs" argument without having really thought it through critically. When I broke a coil spring on my VW Golf, the dealer was quite clear that only the broken one needed replacing. Whether that is different with shocks I don't know.

If I was faced with this decision today, and having read the posts above, I think I'd go for replacing only the duff one especially in view of my low mileage and sedate driving style!

Bristolroversfc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2013 EX
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 09:27:01 AM »
I recently had to have both front coil springs changed on my wifes fiesta.Drivers side snapped whilst pulling away from driveway and was rubbing against the tyre so obviously couldnt be driven to a garage.
I used a company on website called c++++k mechanic.(not sure if I can advertise companies on here).
Mechanic came next evening and fitted 2 new front coil springs in 2 hours.
Charge was £169 including parts and labour.
Mechanic was excellent and would definitly use this service again.
Hope this helps

Tags: