Author Topic: Rear Caliper Guide Pins  (Read 2698 times)

finn_mccool

• Approved Member
    • The Camper Vansit
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4i-DSI SE Sport
Rear Caliper Guide Pins
« on: May 01, 2018, 06:59:34 PM »
How are the guide pins removed from the caliper?  I can remove the bolts, and want to replace them all (including the rubber seals).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 07:38:23 PM by finn_mccool »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Rear Caliper Guide Pins
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 12:35:55 AM »
Normally, you just peel back the rubber dust seal and they slide out of the carrier, once the caliper itself is removed.

Can't imagine the rear calipers on the Jazz will be any different.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 12:42:03 AM by sparky Paul »

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 09:11:38 AM »
Yes: slide. Did mine last year Easy.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 09:43:39 AM »
Have a look at 'brakes international' eBay store,  they are based in Rochdale.  I have bought Bremtech slide pin kits and other brake bits from then in the past.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 11:08:11 AM »
Be careful with the guide pin bellows they tear easily. Well a Honda main dealer managed to do so. The bellows came with the guide pin kit I bought.
Some kits come with the special grease, I am told the old copper grease is no longer a good idea in this area.
From memory ( not a good idea lately) I think it is something like 'Ceratec' it is sticky and stays in place a lot longer than copper grease used to.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 12:08:33 PM »
Don't use any lubricant / grease containing petroleum products (copper grease does) near rubber seals and gaiters as it will damage the rubber.  I have used TRW PFG110 brake grease for a while on slide pins and cylinder seals and had no problems.

I have attached a PDF photo of 'Bremtech' slide pins I bought from brakes international, they are  made in Denmark and look good quality,  they supply a sachet of grease with the kit.

As for tearing the rubber bellows, if you don't hold the flat on the slide pin to stop it turning (17mm thin spanner) while trying to unscrew the holding bolt the bellows get twisted as the whole pin assembly turns (and the holding bolt will not unscrew),  I have an old bicycle type spanner and a ground down normal spanner that I use to slip into the gap between the end of bellows and the caliper. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 12:37:21 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

finn_mccool

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
    • The Camper Vansit
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4i-DSI SE Sport
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 02:54:42 PM »
Cheers folks. Actually managed to find what I needed just after I posted.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 11:08:40 PM »
Have a look at 'brakes international' eBay store,  they are based in Rochdale.  I have bought Bremtech slide pin kits and other brake bits from then in the past.

Top supplier, they also have a website

https://brakeparts.co.uk

Tags: