Author Topic: Disc and tyre wear figures.  (Read 2432 times)

Jazzyone

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4 hybrid
Disc and tyre wear figures.
« on: March 22, 2024, 05:25:39 PM »
Just had second service on my SR at 6500 miles. Had a look back to last years wear figures to compare disc/pad and tyre wear.
Interestingly front and rear brakes are showing 20% wear which is exactly the same as last year despite 3500 more miles! I live higher up so a lot of journeys out do need full braking not just regen. I do get some brake pad dust on wheels but nothing like previous non EV cars. So no change seems a little strange.
On the tyres, fronts had 6.5 and rears 6.0 last year(2800 miles)
This year fronts 5.0 but rears still 6.0. Strange that no wear shown on rears. Suppose it could be down to different technicians doing the measurements. Doesn’t bother me I’m just enjoying the car as much as ever.
One last thing, they also told me they had done the camera software upgrade. Only taken them a year!

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Disc and tyre wear figures.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2024, 10:04:50 PM »
IIRC   the brake pad wear recorded on my two services included the mathematical symbol  <   meaning 'less than' 20% .    A main dealership will see enough Jazz ,on OE pads to be able estimate accurately if its  obviously somewhere less than 20% and the pads will last for a long time yet.The use of the < symbol  rather quoting an exact percentage suggests its normal Honda workshop practice. In reality they might have been for example only  5% last year and still only 15% this year.
They might only spend extra  time measuring them accurately  if its necessary to prove to a customer that replacement is due now, or soon, or they are an MOT failure.  Or they might just change the wear estimate to > x%   ( more than x% )  and recommend   replacement.   

Rear tyres last longer than front tyres. And  you can get variations in tread depth depending on how hard you press the  gauge against the rubber and which part of the tread you chose to measure. Especially noticeable on digital gauges  measuring to the nearest 0.1 mm

. The V pattern treads on my All seasons  reduce slightly in depth as they meet the central  radial groove.  The radial groove and most  of the V groove is 8mm when new  but for about an inch either side of the centre groove the depth of the V groove starts to taper up  to less than 8mm. Probably to aid water expulsion. Thus for the centre 2" of the tread width you will have  a 8mm deep radial groove, but only about 6mm in the side grooves. rapidly increasing to 8mm.   A measurement in this area would give a false reading.  The inclusion of the 8mm groove in this area  maintains  a legal tread depth across the entire tread width, as equally well as sparsely grooved summer tyres.   
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 08:27:08 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
Re: Disc and tyre wear figures.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2024, 09:07:49 PM »
Interesting.  So a figure like <20% (using the less than sign) leaves us no idea how to translate into 'average' annual pad and disc wear.  I've done almost 30K in nearly 3 years.  Service booked in 2 weeks, so will be interesting to see what comes out in terms of brake wear.  My old hybrid Toyota Auris from 2014 at 6 years old with a similar-ish year on year mileage as the Crosstar, was still on original front pads and discs.  :)

Tags: