Author Topic: Intelligent Speed Assistance  (Read 1655 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Intelligent Speed Assistance
« on: July 05, 2022, 01:40:45 PM »
From July 2024 all new cars, via a EU directive that the UK is expected to follow, will have to have ISA enabled by default.

https://road-safety-charter.ec.europa.eu/resources-knowledge/media-and-press/intelligent-speed-assistance-isa-set-become-mandatory-across_en

So, from then, watch out for vehicles suddenly braking and speeding up.

Let's be careful out there !

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: Intelligent Speed Assistance
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 01:58:43 PM »
Hmmm. It may be mandatory for ISA to be fitted, but I don't see anything suggesting it has to be "enabled by default". Your source?

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 02:19:36 PM »
From an insurance source my broker friend frequents.

From the restricted insurance forum :

Watch out for this ! We will start to see cars suddenly slowing down and speeding up. There will be accidents because drivers will have to try and accelerate heavily to overcome the system in an emergency. Also how will it be calibrated? By the speedo which under-reads or by GPS which can give false information?

Then there are the times when drivers will simply rely on the system and when it fails to work properly they will either be driving too slowly or too fast.

Finally there is the question of what happens when the revenue from speeding fines starts to drop........... I am glad I did the most of my driving before all this ******** happened.

As with most European car standards, the UK is expected to adopt the compulsory Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA) regulations wholesale, so all new UK models introduced from now will have to be fitted with ISA and from July 2024 all new cars sold will have to come with ISA as standard.

While a number of models already have ISA, it has to be switched on by the driver. The difference with the new regulations is that the system will be engaged by default with every restart and will have to be manually switched off by the driver.

The system will give the driver a choice of a cascaded acoustic and then a vibrating warning, or a more positive haptic warning through the accelerator pedal, or a speed control function which actively slows the vehicle and pushes the driver’s foot back on the pedal to encourage slowing. In the last two cases the driver can override the system by pushing on through the resistance/vibration.

While the move has been justified on safety grounds, the adoption of speed limiters will help with the adoption of autonomous driving systems, which can be diverted by non-self-driving vehicles whizzing past, while it also means that every new car will have to be fitted with some sort of satellite navigation device.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 03:05:56 PM »
Friend of a friend quoting a private source that no-one can check?

There does seem to be a grain of truth in it, this is a more considered treatment of the issue:
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/intelligent-speed-assistance-everything-you-need-know
A key fact is that whilst it comes into force in the EU this week, "...the UK government has yet to confirm its own plans...".

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 03:47:08 PM »
There does seem to be a grain of truth in it

Thank you
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 03:57:16 PM by Kremmen »

NoelM

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 04:28:26 PM »
Like RDMS turn it off  :-*

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 09:41:57 PM »
Will the system use the speed limit signs which we know can be easily misread? Last week my Crosstar warned me I was speeding because it had read the 5mph sign on a parallel road (I have it set to read the signs but only let the display flash if it thinks I'm going too fast). For ISA to work either those responsible will have to spend a fortune on improving the signs or each car will have to be continuously connected to a database which is continuously updated to reflect speed limit changes including those for roadworks.

It will be interesting to see how ISA is implemented in reality.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2022, 07:58:10 AM »
Some interesting reading of the ins and outs of ISA with comparison on the new GSR regulation and Euro NCAP.

https://circabc.europa.eu/sd/a/d544cd88-7be6-4dd3-9bb3-1edfa80f7837/GSR5%20ISA%20first%20interim%20report%20EC%20edit_for%20CIRCABC.pdf

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2022, 12:56:14 PM »
Some interesting reading of the ins and outs of ISA with comparison on the new GSR regulation and Euro NCAP.

https://circabc.europa.eu/sd/a/d544cd88-7be6-4dd3-9bb3-1edfa80f7837/GSR5%20ISA%20first%20interim%20report%20EC%20edit_for%20CIRCABC.pdf
Very interesting. There will be a lot of time and money spent in trying to develop compliant systems.

I'm not convinced that this assumption on page 45 will work in reality:
The U.K. also has a convention that the presence of streetlights in a built-up area indicates that a 30mph speed limit applies unless a contradicting road sign is posted. While this regulation is retained in U.K. law, explicit signage is routinely used to indicate 30mph speed limits in built up areas. It is therefore not necessary for a system to be capable of inferring a specific speed limit from the presence of street lighting.
There are plenty of places where I use the presence of streetlights as the cue when neither I nor the car have seen a speed limit sign for some distance. The car displays "..." to indicate that it's not sure.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2022, 01:16:52 PM »
In and around London the majority of roads are now 20mph thanks to Ghengis Khan leaning towards cycle and foot and hatred of cars.

Ealing for example is now almost 100% 20mph except for the major highways not under council control.

Some roads do have new signs but others just have a 20 painted on the road surface at frequent intervals and some of those are wearing out. I suppose if it becomes a mandatory default setting then signage may have to change.

I suppose it's the same for 50, 60 and 70mph roads that are just designated as 'national speed limit' dependent on number of lanes, central barrier, etc.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2022, 09:57:23 PM »
Hereabouts 50s are marked 50, 60s marked 60 and 70s are marked National Speed Limit Applies. Only large vehicles are expected to know their respective limits.

Marmoset

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 2020
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2022, 03:31:12 PM »
In and around London the majority of roads are now 20mph thanks to Ghengis Khan leaning towards cycle and foot and hatred of cars.

Ealing for example is now almost 100% 20mph except for the major highways not under council control.

Actually, it's the cross-borough roads that are under Sadiq Khan's control through TfL which are 30mph (though often with 20mph limits at junctions).  The 20mph local roads are decided by the local council. 

Tags:

anything