Author Topic: Honda Fit 2012 1.5l RS Hybrid  (Read 3417 times)

Falcon500

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2002 Honda fit 1.4 DSI
Honda Fit 2012 1.5l RS Hybrid
« on: September 24, 2019, 01:57:17 PM »
Picking up a 2012 1.5RS Hybrid tomorrow which i understand was Japanese only model.  Unfortunately a CVT.

It is a June 2012 model imported into Cyprus end 2016 with two owners since then. 90,000 kilometers and very good condition with only an engine mount needing replacing.

Build was June 2012.  If i have understood this has a 1.5l engine with 83kw and 114nm torque plus 10kw and 79nm from the battery. Not sure if this is like many other hybrids where the combined power is not simply the addition of both numbers but rather a lower combination of both? I believe this came with a nickel metal-hybrid battery pack instead of the lithium cells which may have come out from 2013 and had more power both from the engine and battery pack and 100kw combined?  Can anyone confirm this?

Also anyone has any idea on what make these tick and perform better? 

Spark plugs - Iridium, platinum, particular brand and heat range?

Air filter

Fuel - i have the choice of 95, 98 and 100 octane (which I run in my STi).

Tyres - have plenty of life.  I think Pirelli P1 or P7 on a 16 inch rim.  I suspect run-flat but will check tomorrow.

Speed limiter - It states 120km/h on the registration.  If so can it be removed easily?  The seller stated that whenever he put cruise control on it would cap it to 110.

Suspension mods for a bit better handling?  Maybe lowering slightly may help with the roll. Definitely could be better around corners as will be driven plenty on mountain roads.

Performance mods - now I know you don't get much extra out of N/A motors but every kw counts.  Would consider exhaust manifolds and engine management changes.  Remapped for higher quality fuel?  Nothing internal.  I know this goes against the ethos of buying a hybrid model, but I have found on my current daily Focus ST diesel a remap from 185bhp to 220bhp and a heap of torque, lowered fuel consumption about 10%.  48mpg to 53mpg and more if i am good.

Sound proofing - although it is much quieter than my old 2002 Fit, the racket when accelerating is not good.  I am used to loud cars coming from V8s and two Imprezas that I own, but this is terrible as it is not exhaust noise.  Has anyone worked out where to strategically place sound proofing.? I assume transmission tunnel, bulkhead and possibly under bonnet blanket?

Looking forward to comments and taking delivery. 

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: Honda Fit 2012 1.5l RS Hybrid
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 02:23:21 PM »
Welcome, The UK site mainly deals with EU/UK spec Jazz,
you may find ideas for modification on the US Fit fans website here>
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/

Falcon500

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 12:11:51 PM »
Thanks, I will check them out.  I came here as thought being a JDM and RHD model it would be more likely to have a UK knowledge base with some being imported.  Also, as i think it was the CRZ engine i was hoping that there would be someone that might have done mods in the UK.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 12:37:31 PM »
The 10kW motor indicates that it's the Honda IMA system (a neat design with a motor/generator instead of the flywheel) so there's much in common with the hybrid version of the UK Mk 2 Jazz. It's an automatic like most (all?) hybrids as the vehicle needs to be able to determine the optimum engine speed for the conditions.

The main benefit of this design is a welcome boost to the torque at lower engine speed which gives very smooth starting. It's best for stop-start driving conditions and less use for open road driving where carrying the weight of the battery offsets any efficiency improvements. However, the extra weight also improves the ride.

The UK version of this vehicle has an exceptionally good reliability record. One member of this forum passed 250,000 miles in his hybrid Jazz before there was a serious problem. He then bought the same type of vehicle as a replacement.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Falcon500

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 10:58:23 AM »
The 10kW motor indicates that it's the Honda IMA system (a neat design with a motor/generator instead of the flywheel) so there's much in common with the hybrid version of the UK Mk 2 Jazz. It's an automatic like most (all?) hybrids as the vehicle needs to be able to determine the optimum engine speed for the conditions.

The main benefit of this design is a welcome boost to the torque at lower engine speed which gives very smooth starting. It's best for stop-start driving conditions and less use for open road driving where carrying the weight of the battery offsets any efficiency improvements. However, the extra weight also improves the ride.

The UK version of this vehicle has an exceptionally good reliability record. One member of this forum passed 250,000 miles in his hybrid Jazz before there was a serious problem. He then bought the same type of vehicle as a replacement.

Thanks for your reply. I have had a few days to test it both in city and hwy.  As you say very smooth starting and it feels quite strong because of the battery boost. Saw about 50mpg on hwy with aircon at 110km/h with cruise control, and about the same around town. without air con is creeps to 53mpg. It will be a 80% town car so anything above 40mpg is okay by me.  CVT is actually okay.  I have tried/heard a few other companies CVTs and they were awful.

Sport mode is quite funny.  You even look at the accelerator pedal and it wants to go.  Like a big dog straining at the leash and high on sugar.  It is now known as Demon mode.

I agree with reliability at least for non Hybrid models.  My 2002 model is getting close to 200,000 miles and apart from consumables and the door mirros failing nothing has gone wrong.

I think in Japan there is a Hybrid RS manual.  A least when I went through their classified there seemed to be manual versions.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 11:56:38 AM »
Glad you are enjoying the new Jazz, its worth checking the condition of the cabin filter,often missed at a service schedule.

Located behind the passenger glove box link to manual here>
http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual3/index.html

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 04:52:57 PM »
Glad you are enjoying the new Jazz, its worth checking the condition of the cabin filter,often missed at a service schedule.
I'll add to that advice:
(i) to check if the CVT fluid has been changed recently. Originally Honda had recommended 50k miles / 4 years between changes but in around 2013 after CVT judder problems appeared on the older Mk 1 Jazz Honda (at least in UK) reduced the recommended CVT fluid change interval to 25k miles / 2 years (whichever comes first) in order to keep the CVT system cleaner. This advice is reflected on the offical Honda service sheet but won't be shown in the manual for a 2012 Jazz which non-Honda service technicians would likely refer to. Use the recommended Honda CVT fluid although it's not cheap.
(ii) The UK hybrid Jazz used the older DSI engine which has 8 spark plugs. There are plenty of examples of where 3rd party service technicians haven't been aware of the back row of plugs so they never get changed. The gap progressively increases which can both impair the ignition and damage the coils. If your hybrid has the DSI engine then check the back row of plugs.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags: