Author Topic: Boot floor - very flimsy  (Read 17146 times)

jazzeck

Boot floor - very flimsy
« on: May 12, 2016, 07:31:10 AM »
Found one, in my view very poor feature of new model and having owned multiple Honda cars this is the first significant complaint.

I always have a full size spare in my cars - would not even buy a car if it could not carry one.

With my new jazz I got the full size wheel and tyre as the car is shod with for a good price as part of the deal.

When picked up the car still had the spare wheel well filled with the tool tray/storage pockets moulding.

When this removed and the spare fitted in its place the boot floor put back down into position some consideration of fitting my 'boot caddy' for carrying the dog was made.

Even with that fitted with dog in place (only a 23kg Spaniel) it was apparent through the boot caddy floor that the underfloor was distorting.

Removed the boot caddy and it was very obvious that minimal loads on the boot floor lead to serious distortion - so much that floor collapse could easily happen with a not very large load which did not spread to the underlying structure. Even a suitcase of the right/wrong size in the boot centre could cause collapse.

I think when a 'space saver' is supplied there may be a tool holder moulding also supplied, this may provide some support.

I am in discussion with Honda at the moment on this subject, will be taking the car back to dealer at Honda's request to discuss for them to also report back.

In the meantime have fitted 6mm ply with two straps that rest on the spare to provide adequate support for the boot floor.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Boot floor - very flimsy
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 08:10:30 AM »
The thin floor is probably due to weight saving or maybe to stop people complaining it is too heavy to lift.

The floor is fine provided it is supported. The neatest solution so far is shown here http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=7501.msg39679#msg39679. I'm currently using some bits of wood but have a plan to make a filler from expanding foam when I remember to buy some.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Madelvic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: EX Navi
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 06:01:00 PM »
Most kind John - you've just made my day!

I did think about polystyrene and a hot wire cutter, even looked at big sheets of the stuff in Wickes.  What clinched it was I had some spare mdf in the garage

Jazzeck - I'm Edinburgh if you want to see it

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 08:16:47 AM »
I had some 2.5mm thick MDF which I cut to shape and placed underneath the original board.  Good enough for most loads
If music be the food of love, play on

jazzeck

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 05:12:47 PM »
Text of email I have sent to Honda Customer Services;

"I did visit my dealer for their view on the boot floor with a full size spare wheel installed.
They agreed it was a problem but as Honda only provide a space saver wheel with a support for the floor there is nothing they can do to help me.

I would like to firstly request you to supply me with an email address for Honda Customer Services at the headquarters in Japan. I do have a postal address but emails so much slicker.

The reason I want this communication with Honda’s Headquarters is because I just do not believe that senior Honda personnel would put out a car with such an astonishingly poor feature.
They would also be in my opinion alarmed about the extent of concern this feature is causing loyal, long term Honda owners.
The extent to which this subject is being discussed online would also be concerning to them.

I am attaching some excerpts from online forums that very loyal Honda owners use to showcase their cars, show modifications and generally be very proud to own a Honda. There are sections in one forum even talking about Honda powered lawn mowers, bikes, generators, is the feeling regarding owner pride in their Honda equipment becoming apparent?

I have installed a ply board cover with re-enforcements on top of my spare wheel, see first attachment  - my boot floor support.

Second attachment is a screen-shot from an online forum – clubjazzblock fix. Several blocks of wood used. Comment on other member regarding purchase of new car a bit worrying also

Third attachment is a word document with pictures of an MDF sub floor support which even makes a space for both the owner’s manual and the locking wheel nut. This is such a very well designed and made item that could be used as a template for production of a ‘proper’ moulded floor support.

I really do not think that Honda want cars running about with wooden made up pieces installed by owners to varying quality standards.
The image of a Honda car and the company itself is not best served by allowing this to happen.

I respectfully request you bring this to the attention of more senior personnel in Honda UK and Japan, I would appreciate email addresses for myself to address them directly."

I will publish reply.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 05:15:10 PM by jazzeck »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 06:54:06 PM »
I would have expected Honda globally to make something which is available in the markets where they sell the Jazz with a full-sized spare (why else make the well so deep?). The problem is that Honda UK don't think we deserve the option of a full-size spare and hence do not import the appropriate filler.

jazzeck

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 06:55:40 AM »
So there is a filler?

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 07:23:26 AM »
So there is a filler?
I didn't say that I know it exists but logical thought would suggest so, somewhere in the world, where Honda sell the car with a full-sized spare wheel.

Indeed, what is that in the photo here? http://www.autonews.com/article/20150203/BLOG06/302039996/the-spare-tire-goes-missing It's a lot thinner than the lump of plastic which was in my Jazz.

jazzeck

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 07:29:42 AM »
I think you are dead right and here it is, plus text of my email to Honda
"Further investigation concerning the boot floor looking online in detail overseas has revealed – Honda part no. 84550-T5R-A10, see attachments.

Is this the item that will do the job?

Can it be marketed here?"

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 02:09:11 PM »
As John Ratsey pointed out:

US 2015 Fit floor support tray & T135/80D15 99M space saver

HR-V Thailand boot floor support

--
TG

jazzeck

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 12:29:57 PM »
I am still 'talking' to Honda Customer services, will not bore anyone with details of intransigence from them.
However please look at Fit in India - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBkoLwbEJSo.
Looks to me like a full size spare, toolkit and support tray!!
Will send to Honda UK so called Service Dept!!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 03:30:37 PM »
I am still 'talking' to Honda Customer services, will not bore anyone with details of intransigence from them.
However please look at Fit in India - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBkoLwbEJSo.
Looks to me like a full size spare, toolkit and support tray!!
Will send to Honda UK so called Service Dept!!
I agree, but doesn't the boot floor itself look more solid that the flimsy material used in the UK Jazz?

jazzeck

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 08:30:02 PM »
Think you are correct, it makes you think they do not have a standard, mass produced supposed to save money?????

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 12:42:51 PM »
I think all this weight saving it to cut co2 emissions and road tax for buyers. However most buyers would rather pay a bit more road tax to get a car of the quality they expect from Honda. Perhaps when the road tax rules change we will get better quality again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jazzeck

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 10:37:15 PM »
The attached will probably be the last communication with Honda Customer Services on this matter though I will persue the Indian parts a best I can. Will also write to Honda headquarters when I can conjure up the self control to express my dissatisfaction in a reasonable manner.

But I would ask all of those who believe this feature of the new Jazz is an awful  way for Honda to present this otherwise extremely good (in it's class) car to approach their dealer and tell them. If it is a consideration in not buying a Jazz also tell them

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tags:

anything