Author Topic: TV Antenna?  (Read 903 times)

langserve

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [
  • My Honda: gk3 2019 jdm 1.3 CVT
TV Antenna?
« on: May 04, 2021, 09:04:53 AM »
Do you have this demister looking pattern on your rear quarter windows? The salesman said he thought they were part of the TV antenna system.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: TV Antenna?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 07:12:47 PM »
Nothing like that on my windows.

Bit surprised to hear that Japanese-spec cars have a TV receiver? I always thought TV antenna were directional, not sure how TV might work with an antenna embedded in a window.

Don’t some types of alarm systems have sensors embedded in the glass to detect if a window is broken?

langserve

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 10:08:27 AM »
Thank you, I was quite curious. It looks like the salesman was correct then. There is definitely no alarm system and one of the great things about living here is that crime is almost non existent.

One of the less attractive aspects is that TV is pretty ubiquitous, including as standard in my car. It works well and has been around in cars for ages. Quite a technical achievement really. There is some more antenna built into the other side window, maybe on the top of the windscreen and possibly the rear as well so perhaps however the car is oriented it catches some signal.

It has been around in cars since the late eighties to my knowledge and possibly before. The signal is digital now of course so perhaps that makes it easier to work directionality?

For safety's sake the screen goes blank when the car moves off from stationary but the sound continues. If you are in a big city I suppose that's fine because you are stationary so often but where I live it makes the thing more or less useless. Oddly DVD is not affected - perhaps it is thought to be much less compulsive viewing.

You can easily buy a harness to plug in the back of the unit which will defeat the switch off and a lot of people fit one. I think it is legal but I have zero interest in fitting one.

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 10:53:16 AM »
Hi

We fitted tv to our jazz (dtv) and works lovely

It is the latest version of dtv, so not older standard and displays to all 3 screens, but when moving, the headunit screen stops dtv, leaving just the rear screens working on dtv. All 3 screens can display different programs of dtv

Usually to allow the headunit to display dtv/dvd/films etc... it needs earthing on the hb lead (handbrake sensor lead) but in uk, it is illegal to have a film etc playing/displaying on headunit whilst moving

Many thanks

John

langserve

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 01:38:00 PM »
I had no idea it was possible outside this country!

There is a surprisingly wide range of waterproof TVs for fitting in the bathroom on sale here but I have never actually seen one fitted. People love their TV, there's no doubt about it.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 04:34:55 PM »
TV aerials have progressed with time. I have two non directional aerials in the house.  They are about the size of an A4 sheet of paper and almost as thin.  You can stick them to a wall or, as I have done, mount them on a stand and place it behind the TV.  I have one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom, works a treat.

Tags: