Author Topic: Mot advisory undertray missing  (Read 3825 times)

donerkebab

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE
Mot advisory undertray missing
« on: March 18, 2021, 06:36:59 PM »
Just had first mot on 2018 mk3 jazz. Passed except they put minor advisories needs engine undertray and engine cover.

Are these fitted as standard on 1.3 se model as my dealer is now claiming optional extra?

How much would I expect to pay for new part?

Thanks

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Mot advisory undertray missing
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 07:34:29 PM »
I would get them from a scrapyard. Fittings can be bought on eBay. I don't know how they can be considered an MOT issue. Usually, the advisory is Under trays fitted obscuring some underside components.
If it was me I would just forget about it.
The drawing is for a LHD but the parts are the same:
https://www.parts-honda.uk/honda-cars/JAZZ/2018/13-EXECUTIVE/BODY-PARTS/FRONT-FENDER/30754/B50/6/30754

BadgerMk3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 08:04:16 PM »
Strange how differing the range/standard of MOT inspectors can be.

The MOT on my Jazz had an 'advisory' in a similar vein to what Jock said about undertrays 'obscuring some underside components'.

This week however, I took the better half's Audi for its MOT and the tester took a lot of time examining the 'covered underside components' from above (and below obviously) and passed it with no advisories.

I 'get' the standards, but I also wonder if the first examiner had followed the same mantle as the second, it would save the 'perceived blemish'?

As a footnote, nothing wrong with either testers standards, it's just the anomalies that seem to exist in the procedures.

donerkebab

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 08:15:08 PM »
I would get them from a scrapyard. Fittings can be bought on eBay. I don't know how they can be considered an MOT issue. Usually, the advisory is Under trays fitted obscuring some underside components.
If it was me I would just forget about it.
The drawing is for a LHD but the parts are the same:
https://www.parts-honda.uk/honda-cars/JAZZ/2018/13-EXECUTIVE/BODY-PARTS/FRONT-FENDER/30754/B50/6/30754

Thanks for this.

Would you say these are non standard fitted or if they fell off as some point?

The issue is advisories stay on mot history for life but yeah the difference between mot standards is bit of joke
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 08:17:56 PM by donerkebab »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 09:58:51 PM »
My Jazz is a Mk 1, but despite being the bottom of the range, S has the undertray fitted. I have never seen it offered as an option on any Honda configuration page. I caught mine once reversing back from a high kerb. It was left hanging. I could have removed it or, as I did, ordered up the necessary fitting to reattach it. The opposite may have happened with yours.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 10:19:27 PM »
undertray should be fitted as standard, i always check they put it back ok after a service and so far so good including when i got my gearbox mount replaced under warranty for creaking

donerkebab

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 10:29:24 PM »
Thanks all I will to get under and have a proper look.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 07:17:15 AM »
Strange how differing the range/standard of MOT inspectors can be.

The MOT on my Jazz had an 'advisory' in a similar vein to what Jock said about undertrays 'obscuring some underside components'.

This week however, I took the better half's Audi for its MOT and the tester took a lot of time examining the 'covered underside components' from above (and below obviously) and passed it with no advisories.

I 'get' the standards, but I also wonder if the first examiner had followed the same mantle as the second, it would save the 'perceived blemish'?

As a footnote, nothing wrong with either testers standards, it's just the anomalies that seem to exist in the procedures.

Exactly the same with our Jazz. It's first owner had all the previous MOT's done at the same Honda garage and each mot advised re undershields. This year I took it to our local Council MOT place, an advisory free MOT was issued. Same car, different tester. 

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2021, 08:58:29 AM »
Some MOT testers complain that undertray covers up parts they should be checking and others complain when it is missing.  Seeing as the undertray is mainly to reduce engine noise and seeing how many loud exhausts pas the MOT it is a bit of a mystery really.  I think MOT testers get extra brownie points with DVSA for popping in a few advisories on certificates.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 09:06:54 AM »
Some MOT testers complain that undertray covers up parts they should be checking and others complain when it is missing.  Seeing as the undertray is mainly to reduce engine noise and seeing how many loud exhausts pas the MOT it is a bit of a mystery really.  I think MOT testers get extra brownie points with DVSA for popping in a few advisories on certificates.

I think they like to keep their quota up  ;)

The bloke I use is happy to explain his reasoning for any advisory or fail, he'll point them out to me if I'm there with him. Mind you, he never mentions undertrays - and mine has them covering the whole of the underside of the car, from the front to the back bumper.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 10:40:50 AM »
Come back in 3 years when the Crosstar's have their first MOT's.

Would a indy MOT tester place an advisory on a non existent from factory undertray ?
Let's be careful out there !

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 10:56:19 AM »
Come back in 3 years when the Crosstar's have their first MOT's.

Would a indy MOT tester place an advisory on a non existent from factory undertray ?

I should hope not, and I would question it.

How can they reasonably advise you to "monitor and repair if necessary" something that never existed?

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 11:07:24 AM »
Local council MOT stations have little interest or incentive to 'find' additional work on customer cars.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2021, 12:42:44 PM »
Does the undertray not also help reduce aerodynamic drag?

Tags: