Author Topic: Valve adjustments (tappets)  (Read 1119 times)

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
Valve adjustments (tappets)
« on: September 07, 2021, 07:21:45 PM »

Got a reminder from my Honda honcho that the tappets probably need some TLC now that we have reached the big 100.

Pity the Jazz is not hydraulic, but Honda usually err on the side of the tried and tested so there might be some method in their madness in deciding to stick with the old ways. It's a fiddle and I would rather look the other way if it really only makes a marginal improvement to performance/MPG etc. So, team, what do we think about this? Twist or stick? :)...

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Valve adjustments (tappets)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 09:27:05 AM »

Got a reminder from my Honda honcho that the tappets probably need some TLC now that we have reached the big 100.

Pity the Jazz is not hydraulic, but Honda usually err on the side of the tried and tested so there might be some method in their madness in deciding to stick with the old ways. It's a fiddle and I would rather look the other way if it really only makes a marginal improvement to performance/MPG etc. So, team, what do we think about this? Twist or stick? :)...

Never adjusted the tappets on any Honda I have owned, and my first Civic did 190,000 miles.... ( in fact engine and transmission never had a spanner on them except for cam belts and spark plugs, still had original clutch, alternator etc..... )
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

MartinJG

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 11:12:22 AM »

Culzean. That's good enough for me. I believe brake fluid is the only thing that has not been done. I did see your comment re changing fluid every few years. Apart from that, I think everything is covered. Thanks.

ianhj

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 Si
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 09:25:21 PM »
Having owned a GD model up to 112,000 miles and paid full main dealer service throughout ownership since new I now believe despite having been charged for the valve clearances to be adjusted three times they never actually were.

With our current GE (2010) owned since 36,000 and five years old I checked the valve clearances at 40,000 and just this year at 75,000. Minimal if any adjustment necessary (certainly not worth the effort!).

So in conclusion, I agree with Culzean don't bother unless there are other symptoms ie excessive noise or poor fuel consumption etc. These engines are pretty built proof.

MartinJG

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 10:59:04 PM »
Having owned a GD model up to 112,000 miles and paid full main dealer service throughout ownership since new I now believe despite having been charged for the valve clearances to be adjusted three times they never actually were.

With our current GE (2010) owned since 36,000 and five years old I checked the valve clearances at 40,000 and just this year at 75,000. Minimal if any adjustment necessary (certainly not worth the effort!).

So in conclusion, I agree with Culzean don't bother unless there are other symptoms ie excessive noise or poor fuel consumption etc. These engines are pretty built proof.

Thanks for that feedback. That's one box I can tick without doing a thing :).

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 12:01:03 PM »
Almost 116k on mine and the tappets have never been adjusted. No problems reported.

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 01:18:08 PM »
145,000 miles on mine and tappets not adjusted either. No problems here.

MartinJG

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 01:24:45 PM »
145,000 miles on mine and tappets not adjusted either. No problems here.

Looking good. Thanks.

Tags:

anything