Author Topic: Goodbye Jazz  (Read 4482 times)

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
Re: Goodbye Jazz
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2020, 09:14:06 AM »
It's good that we're keeping a long standing member of the forum Vic now you're keeping the Jazz  :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 09:18:17 AM by Derkie54 »
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2020, 09:46:51 AM »
I also had a problem with getting in and out of the car, something that the test drive did not show up.

Vic.

That is the reason my wife does not like Civic - it is too low to get in and out of as easily as the Jazz,  also the Civic gearbox is pretty good but not as sweet as the Jazz,  which IMHO is the best I have ever used ( manual box ).

A young bloke I worked with had a Vauxhall VX220 and he offered me a drive ( this was some 15 years ago,  when I wore a younger mans clothes ) - what a kerfuffle for me to get in and out,  the roof of the VX was about same height as my knees normally are.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2020, 11:58:09 AM »
Sorry the Civic didn't work out for you Vic. You'd probably have gotten on better in the automatic Civic but the mpg is horrendous in that model. I've no regrets moving to the Jazz from the Civic, it's a brilliant wee car, especially with the CVT.

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2020, 03:39:03 PM »
Very interesting outcome! If the Civic was automatic, would you keep it?

Probably not, with use I realised it was difficult to get in and out of which would be worse if I was having a bad day hip and knee wise It shows the merit of long test drives which I didn't have. I might consider an early Mk3.

Vic.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 03:42:09 PM by VicW »

FordPrefect8

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2012 EX 1.4 Manual Red
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2020, 04:11:12 PM »
Very interesting outcome! If the Civic was automatic, would you keep it?

Probably not, with use I realised it was difficult to get in and out of which would be worse if I was having a bad day hip and knee wise It shows the merit of long test drives which I didn't have. I might consider an early Mk3.

Vic.

I see, that is something for me to consider, I'm 6"4' and Jazz is one of least problematic smaller cars I can moderately easily get in and out of. Other than that I'm probably looking at some 4x4 with abysmal mpg :)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2020, 04:30:33 PM »
My Volvo V40 was a pig to get in and out off. I just used to roll onto the pavement. Even my young wife, who has no mobility issues, commented on how low it was. The Jazz reminds me of driving my works van. Just not as tall.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2020, 05:05:21 PM »
This thread's turned into 'hello again. Jazz!'

Shame you couldn't get on with the Civic, but you had an extended test drive and learned something useful, so some good came of it.

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2020, 05:51:35 PM »
I'd have a civic if it was another six inches higher, to low driving position. I'm 6 foot and would like another notch back on the jazz seat, so not sure how that six foot four guy gets on!!!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2020, 09:16:18 PM »
I think with ageing joints etc the Jazz is a more "forgiving" car if that's the right word. There's a reason the SUV type of car (I realise the Jazz isn't an SUV) has taken off and that is that low driving positions are inherently uncomfortable and people like to sit up higher.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2020, 09:17:54 PM »
I have returned to the Jazz. Maybe it's an age thing but I could not come to terms with a manual gearbox again, I  had to think what I was doing all the time with regard to gear selection.

Vic.

To be honest though gear selection on Civic is nowhere near as critical as it is on the MK2 Jazz due to more power and torque from 1.8 lump,  sometimes the jump from 1st to 2nd on Jazz seems too much especially when on a hill.   
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2020, 09:22:45 PM »
I think with ageing joints etc the Jazz is a more "forgiving" car if that's the right word. There's a reason the SUV type of car (I realise the Jazz isn't an SUV) has taken off and that is that low driving positions are inherently uncomfortable and people like to sit up higher.

Its a bit of an arms race with sitting higher in cars and seeing ahead better,  now most cars are SUV size so no real advantage any more as you are just looking at rear of SUV in front from a higher position,  women like to sit higher in cars ( I think they feel safer ) and also easier to get kids in and out - IMHO the SUV thing was down to women,  they either have 'handbag' cars ( mainly Fiat 500 and Mini ) when younger or like SUV more when older.  I don't find Civic lower position is uncomfortable. 

My mate has a Qashqai and he said that really it was just an Almera on stilts and I had to agree,  the Juke ( or Joke / Puke ) is tiny inside with no real rear legroom or boot.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 09:25:04 PM by culzean »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2020, 09:48:06 PM »
No - I agree. Very often the modern SUV or, more accurately, crossover is just a jacked up version of a normal car. The arms race is definitely a thing as well. People feel they need a "presence" on the road.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2020, 10:09:54 PM »
I'm 6 foot and would like another notch back on the jazz seat, so not sure how that six foot four guy gets on!!!
It all depends on leg length. I am 6'1" and I have my seat 2 or 3 notches from fully back on my Mk1. You can be 6' tall with 4' legs or 6' tall with 3' legs.

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2020, 02:16:03 PM »
I got my Jazz back yesterday, welcome back. Immediate comparisons with the Civic, obviously to be back with the CVT and the ease of selecting 'S' mode when you need the extra urge, the Civic's brakes are not as sharp in initial application as the Jazz , the ease of getting in and out of the Jazz.
What I really miss that the Civic has is the digital speedometer.
Heigh Ho, lesson learnt.

Vic.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 02:51:51 PM by VicW »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2020, 02:43:50 PM »
I got my Jazz back yesterday, welcome back. Immediate comparisons with the Civic, obviously to be back with the CVT and the ease of selecting 'S' mode when you need the extra urge, the Civic's brakes are not as sharp in initial application as the Jazz as the Jazz, the ease of getting in and out of the Jazz.
What I really miss that the Civic has is the digital speedometer.
Heigh Ho, lesson learnt.

Vic.

As I said earlier in the thread,  the Civic dash ( especially the large digital speedo right in your eye-line ) and ergonomics are much better than the Jazz, and the controls are nice and large and well placed,  really the Jazz dash is pants in comparison.....

Tags: