Author Topic: Is my car drivable  (Read 8199 times)

guest3185

Is my car drivable
« on: May 21, 2012, 03:33:06 PM »
Hi..Had a transit run into the front of the Jazz and then find out my insurance does not give me a hire car straight off.
As another car was involved liability is contested between the other 2 cars who pays for me so Enterprise will not do a hire until they know who pays.
I asked Police if I could drive it from the scene and they said if you can get it going then go.No instruction if it looked roadworthy or not.
I have pulled all the bits of wheel arch off the wheel and it looks like it's just a broken headlight that might be stopping me from driving it about.The indicators are working.
Can i drive it about without a headlamp if i only drive in daylight ?
Thanks
Keith

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest3040

• Topic Starter
Re: Is my car drivable
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 03:55:33 PM »
I'm pretty sure you must have working headlights before taking your car on the road.
But then again, it doesn't stop the other 10% of motorists driving with defective headlights.

I personally wouldn't drive it on the road with a headlight in that condition, but I'm not sure about the legalities of these things.

Sorry to hear about the damage by the way. Hope it gets sorted soon.:)

guest2662

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 04:05:13 PM »
all lights must  be in working order to be driven on the highway, if you went for m.o.t with one headlight it would fail wouldant it, you should know that being  a car driver.

guest3185

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 04:21:44 PM »
Just contacted Direct Line and they said I can quote them that as long as I do not drive when headlights are needed then it would be fine.....I'm still not sure though.
Keith

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 07:02:58 PM »
Logically... what would anyone do if their headlight was broken by a stone while travelling on the road in daylight? Stop and order a recovery transporter? I certainly wouldn't.

Surely daytime in good light conditions is OK. Be wary of the 'lights-on' till one hour after sunrise and one hour before sunset Road Code strictures, though.

Surely Direct Line know... and they did say you could quote them.

A quick google around the web isn't sufficiently helpful, I found. Though you might find better.

Contact the police, explain your situation and ask them?? Though it may be unclear in law. Common sense should rule but sense isn't always that common, eh. And when it comes to the letter of the law, depending on the officer... it can sometimes be frustrating.

All things considered you're probably OK in good daylight conditions.

guest869

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 08:45:45 PM »
A lot is to do with appearances.

Straighten the wing by pulling it out.

Pull out the front bumper and use duct tape to hold it in place.

The headlight is the difficult one. As it is you are asking to be pulled because of sharp edges and it will not project the correct beam. Put a new unit in and you could drive around no problem.

guest2765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 03:11:32 PM »
Im not 100% sure on this, I would definately contact the police to ask them explaining the full situation, if you can get them to e-mail you what they have advised so you can print it off as back up regardless of whether they say its safe to drive or not, Just keeps you in the right.

Although I would have thought it would be ok to drive it during the day if you take the advice John has given as long as you weren't driving in the dark/in poor visibility conditions.

Tags:

anything