Author Topic: What MPG are you getting from your Honda Jazz ?  (Read 175536 times)

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
Re: What MPG are you getting from your Honda Jazz ?
« Reply #255 on: August 06, 2020, 09:36:57 AM »
Any thoughts on why my averages would change so drastically with a fresh battery fitted, the distances hadn't been lost?

Probably because the alternator isn't continuously trying to top-up a faulty battery, less drag from the alternator, more mileage!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #256 on: August 06, 2020, 10:03:37 AM »
Any thoughts on why my averages would change so drastically with a fresh battery fitted, the distances hadn't been lost?

Probably because the alternator isn't continuously trying to top-up a faulty battery, less drag from the alternator, more mileage!

The power steering on the Jazz draws around 60 amps,  if the battery cannot supply it the alternator has to ( the alternator does ultimately supply all electrical power on a car, but the battery acts as a reservoir to help the alternator out in times of high demand ),  quite a few people on here have had power steering issues and some fault lights mysteriously cure themselves simply by fitting a new battery..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #257 on: August 06, 2020, 10:39:33 AM »
It works with any modern car. It is part of the emissions reduction system.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #258 on: August 19, 2020, 03:02:19 PM »
Over the first month of ownership and the 1000 miles covered, averaged 54.5mpg. Very happy with that figure, especialy given the amount the air con has been running. Mind you, I'm not the worlds fastest driver and Suffolk is fairly flat.

It'll be interesting to see what effect colder temperatures have on the MPG.

Martin Haworth

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz si 20113
« Reply #259 on: August 19, 2020, 10:44:20 PM »
2 week holiday, fully laden, 3 bikes on roof.

1250 miles.

44.5 mpg

Shocking.

Anything over 60, the bikes were like parachutes.

But... we rode some great trails.

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #260 on: August 23, 2020, 01:13:36 PM »
2 week holiday, fully laden, 3 bikes on roof.

1250 miles.

44.5 mpg

Shocking.

Anything over 60, the bikes were like parachutes.

But... we rode some great trails.
That's amazing considering how loaded you were, what engine do you have and is it an auto or manual?
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #261 on: September 09, 2020, 01:31:11 PM »
Does having a non standard wheel/tyre size have any influence on the onboard computers calculations?
My tyre is a 185/65/15, which is a 2.1% larger circumference than stock 175/65/15
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

MPG_Junkie

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES manual
« Reply #262 on: October 18, 2020, 10:53:50 PM »
I'm an MPG-Junkie and I am obsessed with monitoring MPGs. I've only had my current MK2 since 1st Oct and swapped the battery in the meantime, so I don't have any solid records yet. When I drove the car home after buying it, I scored 57 mpg mainly driving on the M25. Recently did only 48.6 but having swapped the battery it interfered with the reading. Also the tyres were underinflated. Will keep you updated. The MK1 which I sadly sold last week was doing 48mpg on tyres with C rating for fuel efficiency.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #263 on: October 19, 2020, 07:45:01 AM »
Welcome, MPG Junkie. I too am obsessed with measuring and recording my mpg. I assume you calculate your mpg as the onboard display, known on this site as the "Fibometer", is notoriously optimistic.
As well as calculating and recording my mpg in a spreadsheet, I also use two online sites.
Spritmonitor.de (German site but with an English section as well), whose figure you can see beside my avatar. This figure is my average during my ownership of the car (currently approaching four and a half years).
The second site I use is Fuelly.com, and some of the other contributors here display their numbers beside their avatar.
Every time I top up, I switch off at the first click of the pump and input the litres used and the odometer reading, as well as calculating in my spreadsheet. (I know this is a bit CDO - OCD but in the correct order - but as you and I admit, we are junkies).
I also have a ScanGauge E fitted to my OBD II port, and this displays the instantaneous mpg (great for maximising DFCO) and the journey average. It can also do a hundred other things, as well as being a Code Reader and resetting tool.
The benefit of the ScanGauge over the "Fibometer" is the ScanGauge has a correction applied every time you top up and so returns a more accurate (though not perfect) mpg figure.

MPG_Junkie

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES manual
« Reply #264 on: October 19, 2020, 08:33:52 PM »
Thanks for the info. What differences do you get between the onboard computer (whatever you call it) and the other methods that yo use?
I don't think I will be going in this territory of measuring it. I'm actually more into getting the best MPG I get. It is a form of an obsession really. What I like about the new MK2 I just bought 2 weeks ago is that it can display current fuel usage rather than watching the overall trip MPG al the time. It allows me to verify whether I should take my foot off the gas or not. It helps when I play loud music and can't hear the engine.
Today my MPGs are settling at something like 54.5 after 90 miles driven since last tank and air refuel combo.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #265 on: October 19, 2020, 09:07:33 PM »
The biggest discrepancy I have experienced was the onboard display indicating 10% optimistic, but it is usually around 4% optimistic on my car. Other members have reported somewhere in between these two values.
The biggest improvements to mpg are seen when you make the most use of DFCO and anticipation. Every time you apply the brakes, you generate heat. This heat requires energy, and that energy comes from burning fuel. If you can anticipate when you may need to brake and lift off earlier instead, you will save a little fuel. And all these little savings soon add up.
I also do a bit of coasting when it is appropriate. On a long downhill, it can be possible to use DFCO and get (as the ScanGauge displays it), 9,999 mpg. I.e. no fuel being used. However, on a shallow downhill, DFCO causes the car to slow quickly, so I knock it out of gear and get 250 - 350 mpg. I never switch off the engine.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #266 on: October 20, 2020, 06:39:58 AM »
My 2012 CVT is consistently averaging around 43mpg - Fuelly.
90% urban driving.. very hilly...

Tipped in a full bottle of injector cleaner last fillup (car has done 45k miles) and appear to be seeing slight improvement - maybe 1-2 mpg. But it will take 6 months to tell if a blip or not..

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #267 on: October 20, 2020, 08:13:18 AM »
Thanks for the comments about how a new battery improves mpg. I realised I'd occasionally had heavy steering since I got my Jazz 2 years ago. Then last week it was reluctant to start for the first time ever. A new Yuasa 5054 from Tayna (more thanks) and it's parked up with the trip computer showing 60 something. Which is a first too.

I'm pretty obsessive about fuel consumption as well and use a cheap OBDII reader and Torque lite on my phone to help optimise my driving. Already I have noticed it is a lot easier to get good consumption at 30 on a level road. I think my alternator must have been working constantly. Now the engine is running as intended I'm interested to see what difference it makes. Of course it being a Mk1 I'll post that in another place.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 08:15:41 AM by springswood »
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #268 on: October 20, 2020, 08:34:23 AM »
After your comments on the perceived improvement in mpg after fitting your new battery, I checked my figure. I don't have a lot of data as I had only had a couple of top-ups with the car before the battery failed, but there appears to be a 10% improvement in mpg after the new battery was fitted.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #269 on: October 20, 2020, 08:56:46 AM »
I suppose if the battery is not up to scratch, the alternator will be worked harder giving a reduction in mpg.

Edit
Oops. Just noticed Equaliser said the same thing a page ago.

Latest edit Added edit.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 10:34:38 AM by JimSh »

Tags: