Author Topic: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?  (Read 201275 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?
« Reply #450 on: April 14, 2020, 03:59:41 PM »
Great figures. I average 5 l/100 Km over 4 years use.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #451 on: April 22, 2020, 09:13:49 AM »
Topped up the tank today and the calculated figure was a pleasant 61.4 mpg (Fibometer 63.6 mpg). I decided that since petrol is at the cheaper end of the scale, I will fill up with 97 RON today. £1.107/litre. Almost the entire fuel was used driving into and out of Edinburgh. With the traffic as light as it has been that was a joy rather than a penance.
One of the benefits of such sparse traffic is the ability to slow down at my discretion. There are several gentle descents to 30 and 40 mph limits where with no following traffic I can take my foot of the accelerator and allow the Deceleration Fuel Cut Off to shut off fuel to the injectors. I arrive at the limit, at the posted speed, without having to brake. In traffic, I have to use throttle until much closer to the signs and then use a little light braking, wasting fuel in the process. Over a tankful of petrol all these little things add up, giving numbers I would typically only see in mid-summer.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #452 on: May 01, 2020, 08:30:47 AM »
I have just done 460 miles in 8 days, and my calculated figure was 61.6 mpg. Again I have filled up with 97 RON.

DomnicZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 1.4 SE MK1
« Reply #453 on: May 31, 2020, 09:08:48 AM »
Hi,
Early April this year, I bought a 2004 Jazz CVT 1.4 SE and was curious to know how much  MPG I could squeeze out of it. Decided to test it on a recent trip from Brixworth with my wife and daughter. Using a pulse and glide technique, and thanks to relatively empty roads, allowing me to freely run slow, around 30-40 MPH. I surprised myself with a 72.7 MPG on the 12 mile trip home. This on a car with 91K miles on the clock. Since I don’t have much of a daily commute, I use Tesco momentum 99octane which is £1.05 a litre at the moment. Not sure if that helped. I haven’t used any extreme hypermiler tricks like overinflating the tyres etc. I did switch off the engine at one-off the two red lights that I encountered.
My Jazz: 2004 CVT

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #454 on: May 31, 2020, 10:31:25 AM »
Good mpg there. What you should do is check it over a thankful. I top up to the first click off each time and divide the miles travelled between top-ups with this fuel put in the tank. The dashboard display tends to be a bit optimistic (mine is currently indicating 64.5 mpg for the past thankful but I know the calculated figure won't be as good as that).
I have a ScanGauge E fitted and it is a bit more accurate (though not perfect) and I recorded 108 mpg for one short trip, east along the B925 from Mossmorran to Kirkcaldy. It is only 6.4 miles.
A Honda Jazz drove from Land's End to John o Groats on one thankful of fuel and returned 94 mpg.

https://www.theaa.com/about-us/newsroom/fuel-economy-record-attempt

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #455 on: June 01, 2020, 09:41:27 AM »
I topped up this morning. The light wasn't on, but my wife needed something from the supermarket, so I killed two birds.
60.2 mpg over 428 miles. The last time I filled up was the 1st of May. I am using 97 RON at the moment since petrol is so cheap. £1.067/litre or £4.85/gallon for us oldies.
I added a half bottle of Redex Petrol Treatment. Tesco is selling it for £2/bottle.
I also stuck the car through the car wash. Only £6.99 for the premium programme.

DomnicZZ

• Approved Member
« Reply #456 on: June 02, 2020, 09:21:20 PM »
Thanks for Your Response Jocko. I’m new to the forum here and see that you’ve contributed a wealth of info. Sure will come handy. I did a tankful of momentum 99 (32L for £35 or so). First time ever I did a complete fillup till it clicked off. It maybe a month or two before I finish this tankful, but I expect prices to rise slowly now that lockdowns are easing, so it’s ok. My MPG currently reads 56 .I notice that I tend to get the highest MPG at around 30-40 MPH as opposed to around 55mph. I need to perfect the pulse and glide technique more.

Domnic

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #457 on: June 02, 2020, 09:55:44 PM »
Domnic. Keeping your speed down certainly helps but for cruising I find 53 mph the best speed.  I find the i-DSi engine great at low revs and I use 5th from very low speeds. Most of my driving is either 5th or 3rd. I seldom use 4th. You don't have that option with the CVT. I regularly switch off at traffic lights. If I know I am going to be sitting for more than 6 or 7 seconds then the engine's off (you get to know the lights in your local area). I don't really pulse and glide but I do coast in neutral when I can. I also make great use of Deceleration Fuel Cut Off or DFCO. On downhill sections get your foot right off the accelerator, not just eased back. I have a ScanGauge E and that displays instantaneous fuel consumption as well as journey average. It plugs into the OBD 2 port.

The mpg figure beside my avatar is my average mpg since buying my Jazz in 2016 using spritmonitor .de

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ScanGaugeE-Ultra-Compact-Automotive-Computer/dp/B004SK5I46/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=scangauge&qid=1591130473&sr=8-2

DomnicZZ

• Approved Member
« Reply #458 on: June 04, 2020, 03:23:39 PM »
Thanks Jocko! I’ve seen the links for the scangauge ,I’ll look to get one of those in the future , but until then was hoping to be able to use one of the Bluetooth ones with a spare Android I have. If it’s only displaying what’s available at the port hopefully it should be as accurate as scangauge. As for the pulse and glide, I tend to do that on roads with gentle gradients, so speed up before the downhill so I can roll down with my foot off the accelerator. I tend to keep my foot over the brake when not accelerating. May help me react faster incase of an emergency.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #459 on: July 06, 2020, 10:12:16 AM »
Yesterday I was low on petrol, but I went over to the south of Edinburgh anyway as I figured I had enough. The ScanGauge reckoned I had 140 miles left and the journey was about 80.
As I started back, I sprinted around the Sheriffhall roundabout (to catch the green lights), and the low fuel light came on. A quick check of the ScanGauge said 100 miles left and I only had 40 miles to go.
This morning I topped up the tank. The manual says Jazz holds 9.2 Imperial gallons and top up took 7.8 gallons. That means I had 1.4 gallons left and at the 61.7 mpg, this tank full returned I still had enough for a further 86 miles. That means the low fuel light came on with about 125 miles left in the tank.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #460 on: July 08, 2020, 12:02:03 PM »
I'd been barely getting 40 mpg, quite a bit of pinking and flat spots so I decided to change the spark plugs. Since I'm keeping Bob the Jazz a good while I treated her to some iridium plugs. Flat spots and pinking gone and even on my short dog walking trips the dash shows 47 mpg. I suspect the better spark from the iridium plugs is making the difference.

What was striking was the plugs that came out (photos attached). Looks like only one of the rear coil packs was giving much of a spark. I wish now I'd kept close look on what I was doing as I don't know which is the good one. I had actually fitted a secondhand set of coils got cheap on eBay. Now I've put back the originals as they're younger though still suspect as the rear plugs weren't changed when I got the car. Now I'm tempted to get some new coils. If they got me 2 mpg more they'd pay for themselves in a year or so. At least if I get cheapest ones - there's a bewildering array of brands and prices with no idea if any are better than another.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 12:04:15 PM by springswood »
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #461 on: July 08, 2020, 12:28:02 PM »
Hitachi are supposed to be the ones to get AFAIK.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #462 on: July 08, 2020, 02:46:56 PM »
Thanks. That's what my original ones are but I can't find any on eBay. No name ones  are from £50 a set, £100 gets brands I've never heard of like WAI and Lemark. Looks like pure guesswork to me.

EDIT AutoDoc looks hopeful
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 03:32:48 PM by springswood »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #463 on: July 08, 2020, 04:11:59 PM »
I'd been barely getting 40 mpg, quite a bit of pinking and flat spots so I decided to change the spark plugs. Since I'm keeping Bob the Jazz a good while I treated her to some iridium plugs. Flat spots and pinking gone and even on my short dog walking trips the dash shows 47 mpg. I suspect the better spark from the iridium plugs is making the difference.

What was striking was the plugs that came out (photos attached). Looks like only one of the rear coil packs was giving much of a spark. I wish now I'd kept close look on what I was doing as I don't know which is the good one. I had actually fitted a secondhand set of coils got cheap on eBay. Now I've put back the originals as they're younger though still suspect as the rear plugs weren't changed when I got the car. Now I'm tempted to get some new coils. If they got me 2 mpg more they'd pay for themselves in a year or so. At least if I get cheapest ones - there's a bewildering array of brands and prices with no idea if any are better than another.

If the engine is behaving well and no pinking, hesitation or flat spots why do you need to change coils ????

Can you measure the gap on the spark plugs - that is the clearest indication to how long they have been in the engine as they wear due to 'spark erosion' of the electrodes...

The Iridium plugs do produce a more concentrated spark due to the smaller diameter of the electrodes and because of the toughness of the Iridium will maintain the gap for many more miles ( IIRC 70,000 is the figure for MK2 Jazz and Civic - which do come from factory with Iridium plugs as OE ).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 04:30:09 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #464 on: July 08, 2020, 06:13:29 PM »
That's a good point.  It seems to me the coils don't simply fail all or nothing, otherwise I  would have got an error code for a misfire. My guess is when the rear spark plugs are left in too long the higher  voltage before a spark forms across the bigger gap stresses the insulation in the coil. The smaller tip on iridium plugs mean the gasses ionise at a lower voltage so are kinder on the coils. That was part of the reason for making the change (the other being I won't need to do it again till 200k miles). So I should at least see if it works.

Or in other words if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Tags:

anything