Author Topic: Car Insurance  (Read 2229 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Car Insurance
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2020, 01:53:53 PM »
Totally agree, pay a bit more for peace of mind.

One car forum insurer was slightly cheaper but they were going to use Eagle Star that gets 1* reviews with many reviewers saying they wished there was a zero star option.
Let's be careful out there !

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2020, 02:54:24 PM »
Many years ago, early sixties when I was at RAF Wittering on the A1, a co-worker had saved up enough to buy his first car and took out the cheapest insurance he could find. He travelled regularly to London at weekends coming back at night. One day he decided to read his insurance policy and discovered that he was not insured during the hours of darkness!
 Vic.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2020, 04:26:56 PM »
Not any sort of recommendation, just my experience.
After many years of switching around every couple of renewals, I ended up with my 1.0L Yaris with Aviva on a pretty much full spec policy, business/protected NC etc with several nice features like no charge for any changes and free short term FC cover on anyone else's car if you give the details in advance. No extra for paying monthly DD. It was slightly higher than other "premium" brand insurers but not a lot, especially allowing for the "extras".
They promised to give a renewal quote no higher than a new customer. The annual renewal went down.
When I got the Jazz I swapped the cars on that policy, upped the annual mileage, it added 60p/month, no charge to change.

Quotemehappy are Aviva's internet only brand, and they are similar - none of the administration charges you get with other insurers, including for substitutions. You probably don't get all the frills, but you can add what you need, and other half still can't get a cheaper quote anywhere else. Likewise, the price on comparison sites always appears to be the same as the renewal. We have no complaints.

I do agree about some of the budget insurers though, some of them have poor reputations - the biggest problems start when you need them to help you fight a claim against you. The one I try to avoid in particular is BISL (Budget Insurance Services Limited), and any of their many white label insurance brands. I know a few people who have had major issues with fault and no-fault claims.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2020, 04:32:47 PM »
I hate auto renewal, but most insurers force it on you these days.

I think that they just don't tell you that it is optional, which of course they should.

Vic.

That's right.

The problem I have is that most don't allow you to opt out until after purchase, and they don't make it easy - it usually requires a phone call once the insurance is in force.

QMH give you the option to add auto renewal as you pay, and don't include it by default.

RayS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz 1.3 SE
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2020, 04:39:41 PM »
I just go on three or four price comparison websites & take the cheapest.
The renewal price can vary for same company on different sites.
When the renewal quotes start coming in, I have no loyalty to any of them, I always go with the cheapest.
I don't want nor need any add ons as these quickly bump up the price, just the absolute mininum to legally drive the car.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2020, 10:37:05 PM »
Totally agree, pay a bit more for peace of mind.

One car forum insurer was slightly cheaper but they were going to use Eagle Star that gets 1* reviews with many reviewers saying they wished there was a zero star option.

Unfortunately paying more doesn't guarantee good service. I was with Aviva and the whole claim took 18 mths to close despite me having a dashcam footage. Without me knowing 10 mths later, they took the case to arbitration and conclude my case was 50/50! 4 mths after,  I only found this out as I was renewing my policy...all this time, I had to quote as a fault claim for both of my cars' insurance costing £££. In the end I complained to Customer Services for the 3rd time... apparently they didn't even bring my footage to the arbitration with the 3rd party!

So is it worth paying more for a reputable company...I think not. Imagine if I wasn't so clued up...many people would have accepted the decision.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2020, 11:24:09 PM »
In the end I complained to Customer Services for the 3rd time... apparently they didn't even bring my footage to the arbitration with the 3rd party!

So is it worth paying more for a reputable company...I think not. Imagine if I wasn't so clued up...many people would have accepted the decision.

So did you get the decision turned over in the end?

It seems that insurers pushing knock-for-knock is one of the most common complaints you hear now, and as you say, I don't think many people challenge the insurer's decisions. Of course, it would be in all the insurers' interests if they can register every claim as 50/50.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2020, 08:47:54 AM »
In the end I complained to Customer Services for the 3rd time... apparently they didn't even bring my footage to the arbitration with the 3rd party!

So did you get the decision turned over in the end?

It seems that insurers pushing knock-for-knock is one of the most common complaints you hear now, and as you say, I don't think many people challenge the insurer's decisions. Of course, it would be in all the insurers' interests if they can register every claim as 50/50.

Yes it was overturned immediately. The customer service manager said he was surprised the Claims Dept even took it to the arbitration in the first place as it was so obvious it was 3rd party fault. I would have taken the case to Financial Conduct Authority had it not been in my favour.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2020, 10:50:12 AM »
I think insurance would be cheaper overall on a “no-blame” basis.  Insurers would pay for their own clients’ damage regardless of fault, and premiums would be based on average risk profiles.  It would save all the money spent on disputes and lawyers and claims could  be settled quickly with much less worry.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2020, 11:02:29 AM »
I think insurance would be cheaper overall on a “no-blame” basis.  Insurers would pay for their own clients’ damage regardless of fault, and premiums would be based on average risk profiles.  It would save all the money spent on disputes and lawyers and claims could  be settled quickly with much less worry.

I'm not sure I would want to pay for damage to my own car caused by someone else's stupidity!

AlanTR

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2020, 08:07:26 PM »
Just renewed with LV which produced the best quotes even after claiming £1300 for a minor 'bump'. Premium was up by £22.

Tags: