Author Topic: Installing SAT-NAV on infotainment system  (Read 4440 times)

mking90031

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz
Installing SAT-NAV on infotainment system
« on: July 08, 2020, 01:28:19 PM »
Hi,

My parents have a Honda Jazz from 2017 and they have asked me (an IT Professional with absolutely no automotive knowledge beyond the basics) to install a SAT-NAV system (along the lines of Google Maps) on their infotainment system.  Their car is due to be serviced at the end of the month.  Just wondering if this possible and how I would go about doing it.  Would it be better to have a professional do it or would I be able to?  I am very intelligent and love learning new things.

Thanks,

Mark King MCP
www.mark-king-basingstoke.co.uk

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: Installing SAT-NAV on infotainment system
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 01:48:12 PM »
Simple answer: yes it is possible but not straightforward and may not be worth the hassle. There are other threads in this forum about this, suggest you try some searches.

IIRC, as well as installing various things from dubious sources, you also have to hack the infotainment system to disable the built-in protections that prevent you doing things like watching videos whilst driving. I also vaguely recall that you have to reset some of these things each time you start the car, because they always reset to a default. There is also a thing called Mirrorlink which is supposed to allow you to mirror a phone on the car's display screen but I don't recall hearing of anyone getting it to work reliably (something to do with incompatible versions on car and phone). Might be worth a try just in case you're one of the lucky ones!

Frankly, it's easier to use a separate smartphone or stand-alone satnav. But if you do persevere, please report back!

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 02:18:07 PM »
Hi,

My parents have a Honda Jazz from 2017 and they have asked me (an IT Professional with absolutely no automotive knowledge beyond the basics) to install a SAT-NAV system (along the lines of Google Maps) on their infotainment system.  Their car is due to be serviced at the end of the month.  Just wondering if this possible and how I would go about doing it.  Would it be better to have a professional do it or would I be able to?  I am very intelligent and love learning new things.

Thanks,

Mark King MCP
YES WE CAN, nothing of impossible for an IT Professional.
I own a 2017 Jazz, with OEM Garmin satnav, and I've added the Sigic app so I can have real time traffic info; the device works on a modded android 4.0.4, so it's possible to install some apps. Google apps work fine only if you install google play services and some others sw.
You can download apps and tutorials you need from here
http://www.cmdroid.com/
I mean honda permission and Sygic.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 02:27:34 PM by jazzaro »

mking90031

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 02:52:19 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.  @jazzaro, do you know if the site has manuals in english?  I don't know much italian.

Yours,

Mark King MCP

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 02:56:18 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.  @jazzaro, do you know if the site has manuals in english?  I don't know much italian.

Yours,

Mark King MCP
No, the website is in spanish as the webmaster lives in South Americas.
I downloaded the pdf, then "cut and paste" to google translator.

Muldoon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Not bought yet but looking
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 03:56:08 PM »
Hi,

Thanks,

Mark King MCP

Hi Mark

Welcome to the forum. From what I have heard on here the system on the Jazz with the touchscreen, SE and above, is comprised of 2015 era android programming which is resistant to any upgrades or changes. Mirroring the iPhone as can be done on other cars would be an easy option to bring up maps or a sat nav app but it only seems to like android phones of a certain age. It would be of interest to many if you manage to make progress!

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 05:56:38 PM »
Up to the so called rc6.2 you can install some apps, and 2017 jazz should have rc5 or 6.0. Rc7 and newer are completely locked to unofficial app install.

Tags:

anything