Author Topic: New Jazz Owners Observations and Comments  (Read 38192 times)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
New Jazz Owners Observations and Comments
« on: September 11, 2015, 10:22:28 PM »
I have started this thread to share my initial findings after 3 days and nearly 300 miles in my orange SE CVT. I expect other new owners will also be keen to share their observations and I would expect that I'll have more to say after I've done some more driving.

1.      Auto headlights.
There does not appear to be a way to turn off the auto feature and get the lights under intelligent manual control (ie me). The system over-reacts to shade on a sunny day - the headlights came on and stayed on at 6:15pm yesterday due to the road being in shadow but there was still plenty of daylight on a clear, sunny evening - the other drivers must have been puzzled why I had the headlights on. After all, the car has DRLs and hence very visible to other road users. The off position on the switch is spring loaded and only turns the lights off after I have stopped the car and removed the key. Turning the switch to off while the car is moving and has decided that the headlights should be on has no effect. At the moment this is the most annoying feature of the new car.

2.      Auto Idle Stop:
The Auto Idle Stop also has an element of unpredictability. The handbook has a long list of circumstances when it won't work but I can't relate any of these to why the feature didn't work once on a 2 hour cross country journey. I can understand the system limiting the number of stop-starts in a given period (ie crawling traffic) but not when waiting at some traffic lights after several miles of open roads. The only possible factor I can think of is that the outside temperature was over 20°C. If this was the reason then the temperature threshold needs increasing. It's not that the auto stop isn't working: When near to home I refueled the car and auto stop did work when I was waiting to get onto the road. A related feature of this system is that a light touch of the brake pedal sufficient to stop the car moving isn't enough to activate the Auto Idle Stop, which needs a harder push on the pedal. This is a sensible arrangement which provices a level of manual control over what is happening (and there is also a disable button next to the gear stick). For example, at traffic lights, reducing brake pressure when the orange light appears lets the engine give a quick cough and start up before having to pull away.

3.      Traffic Sign Recognition:
The traffic sign recognition works quite well at reading the speed limit signs but there seems to be a time-out (time or distance) after reading the last sign when the display reverts to three dashes.

4.      Parking Sensors
The parking sensors worked OK once I had discovered that I needed to switch them on. However, they get confused by narrow country roads with solid banks but I now know where the on/off button is.

5.      Lane Departure Warning System
The lane departure warning system works well but my wife complained that the buzzer will disrupt her dozing! The buzzer also gets activated by white lines down the side of roads barely wide enough for two vehicles when passing means the car has to get a wheel onto the line. However, this system is easy to turn on/off with a switch next to the parking sensor switch.

6.      Acceleration and CVT Behaviour
There is some hesitancy while accelerating while the car decides what to do. However, I'm coming from the hybrid where the motor helped to low end torque and enabled much smoother acceleration and may need to adjust my driving style accordingly.  The upside of this characteristic is that it is easier to maintain a given cruising speed - the hybrid was more sensitive to small movements of the right foot. Normally a slightly audible 3,000 rpm is enough revs to get the car up to speed. The reviewers who complained about excessive engine noise must have been driving somewhat more agressively. Once up to speed the CVT was very (over?) responsive to changes in the accelerator pedal. For example, easing off the power due to a bend while going up hill would result in an upshift of the gearing followed quickly by a downshift when the power was reapplied. Perhaps I'll have to explore the S mode or playing with the paddles.

7.      Brakes
The brakes seem to be smoother than on the old car without the need to ease off the pedal as the car stops.

8.   Obstacle Warning / Braking Systems
The handbook states that the City Brake Active System uses a low power laser. It was probably this system which made a noise yesterday when a motorcycle pulled in just in front of me when I was in a traffic queue. The Forward Collision Warning System uses a camera (probably the same one as for the sign recognition). It can be configured to be far, normal (the default) and near. Another related feature that I hadn't seen described is that hard braking at above 37 mph (60 kmph) will cause the haxard warning lights to be temporarily activated. I recall seeing a few cars doing this when a stream of traffic on a motorway has to quickly slow down.

9.   Deflation Warning System
The handbook explains that this system works by comparing the wheel rotations and needs to be calibrated (an option on the multi-function display) after any wheel changes. The book says that using a space saver wheel is likely to trigger the warning.

10.   Reflections on Windscreen
My hybrid suffered from very distracting (due to mixed bright and dark) reflections of the top of the dashboard on the windscreen when driving into the sun. The new car is much better in this respect although there can be uniform bright reflections under some conditions. The improvement has been achieved by smoothing over the area above the steering wheel. in fact, the whole area between seats and windscreen appears to be higher than on the old model and a portable sat nav slightly intrudes into the view through the windscreen.

11.   Front End Shape
The centre section of the car's nose is more vertical than the old model while the sides of the front are more curved. I hope that these changes mean that low-flying stones are less likely to be carried up the bonnet and hit the windscreen.

12.   Sockets
The SE has a 12V socket, two USB sockets and an HDMI socket. Videos can be played on the in-car screen using the HDMI input but the book says this will only work when the car isn't moving. One of the USB sockets is in the little box between the two front seats while the other is forward of the gear stick.

13.   Key Remote
The remote buttons on the key are small. They could be a hassle if wearing gloves or for people have weak or fat fingers.

14.    Fuel Consumption
My first refilling of the fuel tank was at 280 miles with the fuel gauge one segment above half on the gauge. However, I managed to squeeze in 23 litres when the gauge would have suggested less than 20 litres (20 segments on the gauge so 2 litres/segment).  280 miles and 23 litres = 54.6 mpg. However, I don't stop refilling at the first cut-out of the pump nozzle since it takes time for the fuel to work its way through the pipe to the tank. If I had stopped refilling when the pump first cut out then it would have been about 2 litres less and nearly 60 mpg. The greater part of the 280 miles was A road driving at whatever speed the lorries were travelling at, but there was some town driving and some in undulating narrow country lanes.

If anyone has questions then I'll do my best to answer them.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Re: New Jazz Owners Observations and Comments
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 10:47:00 PM »
The lane departure warning buzzer, doesn't buzz if you signal to change lanes  ;D

A nice review though, thanks

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 09:34:22 AM »
Have you any comments about the ride, which is the aspect of the Mk II I like least?  Changing from your hybrid may not be a typical comparison, as I expect the hybrid was heavier, with a steadier ride.  Thank you for your initial review, which leaves me thinking that perhaps the technical gizmos are getting a bit above themselves these days!

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 10:52:02 AM »
The lane departure warning buzzer, doesn't buzz if you signal to change lanes  ;D
Correct. I do use the indicators for lane changing but not always when temporarily crossing a line, such as for passing a bicycle on an otherwise empty road.

What I would like, for the benefit of some other drivers who have forgotten (if they had ever learnt) what their indicators are for, is a device that gives an electric shock for turning without prior indication. Driving standards seem to be deteriorating.

Have you any comments about the ride, which is the aspect of the Mk II I like least?  Changing from your hybrid may not be a typical comparison, as I expect the hybrid was heavier, with a steadier ride.  Thank you for your initial review, which leaves me thinking that perhaps the technical gizmos are getting a bit above themselves these days!
I have tried to evaluate the ride but it's very subjective. It's generally smooth and definitely no worse (ie probably better) than the hybrid (which, as you note, seemed to sit on the road better than the normal Jazz). I felt a couple of minor bumps in a place where the top layer of road surfacing had disappeared leaving some inch deep holes.

The car also handles speed bumps OK. I have been over some of the cushion type of bumps without anything scraping. I measured clearance from the plastic tray under the engine as 13cm and there is also a rubber skirt below the front bumper that extends to 15cm above ground level. I assume that the skirt and the tray are primarily to improve the aerodynamics.

I was happy to see that the tyres on my Jazz are the Michelin energy savers. They gave good service on the hybrid and, from what I've read, have slightly better winter grip than most normal tyres. Concrete road surfaces are still quite noisy but perhaps not as bad as in the previous car. And wind noise from having windows slightly open seems to be less.

Another point of detail is that the flap for the fuel tank filler has to be manually released by a lever on the driver's door pillar just above the bonnet release. I wonder why Honda made this change?

Another welcome feature is that the angle of the head restraints on the front seats is adjustable.

I had previously posted a photo of the front passenger's view of the sensor unit. Here are a couple of other views of the unit plus a photo that illustrates my comment about the shape of the front.

At the moment the only uncontrollable dumb intelligence that is really annoying me is the auto headlights. I rechecked the switch and it definitely won't stay in off. Most of the auto features have a manual override either through switches or settings but the driver isn't allowed to take charge of the headlights except by turning the switch to the sidelight position. I've raised this issue with my dealer. Having a proper off (ie manual control) position on the switch will require a new switch.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 12:21:42 PM »
If it is raining but not dark enough to make the auto headlights come on can you switch the lights on manually?

On the Ford Fiesta if both the wipers and lights are in the auto position the lights will come on if the wipers operate continuously.  But it is also possible to switch off the auto lights and switch them on manually as and when required.

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 12:42:57 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to write the review .
Looking at the photo of the sensor and interior mirror you may have made the same mistake as I did.
The mirror can be adjusted higher so its about 5 cm from the top of the windscreen. There is the normal ball joint at the mirror end but the arm also hinges up or down.This makes the sensor pack less noticeable especially for tall drivers like myself.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 12:49:35 PM by edam »

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 12:43:54 PM »
If it is raining but not dark enough to make the auto headlights come on can you switch the lights on manually?

On the Ford Fiesta if both the wipers and lights are in the auto position the lights will come on if the wipers operate continuously.  But it is also possible to switch off the auto lights and switch them on manually as and when required.
The light switch has 4 positions: Off (but it won't stay there and jumps back to Auto), Auto, side lights and headlights. So it is possible to over-rule the auto operation to make the lights come on but not the other way round. The dumb bit is not having a proper off position (when the DRLs would still be on but the driver decides on when to change from DRL to other lights). The DRLs come on once the ignition key is in position 2 but turning on side or headlights turns the DRLs off. The side lights are effectively parking lights.

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
  • HR-V eHEV delivered February 2022
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 03:02:38 PM »
Your comment regarding the lights is interesting. This is something I had not picked up on during the test drive. 

I am assuming that your hybrid had automatic climate control and if this is correct, your comments on making the backward transition to the manual heating/ventilation controls would be appreciated. For my part this is the one thing I am not looking forward to. Whilst the SE does not need the touchscreen climate control of the EX, a basic auto system with physical buttons such as found in my 2013 ES would have been appreciated.

Anyway only 6 days until I collect my blue SE CVT from Listers Honda.

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 04:55:27 PM »
I hate the climate controls on my MK2 ES.
To have controls you can turn and click is enough reason to buy a MK3

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 09:04:12 PM »
I am assuming that your hybrid had automatic climate control and if this is correct, your comments on making the backward transition to the manual heating/ventilation controls would be appreciated. For my part this is the one thing I am not looking forward to. Whilst the SE does not need the touchscreen climate control of the EX, a basic auto system with physical buttons such as found in my 2013 ES would have been appreciated.
My hybrid HS didn't have full climate control in that I decided when the A/C should be on while fan speed and air direction were controlled by buttons. However, it did have a digital temperature control (again with up / down buttons) which worked fine most of the time but I always had to do a manual correction when the temperature was hot enough to justify putting the A/C on - 17C or 18C was fine for fresh air but needed to be changed to about 23C for the A/C.

The new SE has a set of knobs (see the photo) so there is less poking at buttons. However, the rotary temperature control will need trial and error to find the right temperature but it's easier to change than buttons so overall an improvement. Buttons for A/C and rear screen / mirror heaters are below the knobs as is a lever for the fresh air / recirculation.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 07:00:35 PM »
It looks like the sensors housing will usefully block out sunlight but doesn't leave any room for placing a dashcam.

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 07:20:51 PM »
It looks like the sensors housing will usefully block out sunlight but doesn't leave any room for placing a dashcam.
I had been planning to put my camera on the passenger side of the sensor unit where it won't obstruct the driver's vision (but will impede the passenger's view). However, measuring the distance from pivot to wiper tip (90cm) suggests sensor area isn't in the area of wiper coverage. I'll be able to verify this once I've driven through some wet and filthy road conditions. If I'm correct then the sensor system's performance will be degraded under the conditions where it would be most useful. I'll be watching out for this.

It's a shame that, given that the on-board camera must be good quality for the sign recognition etc, Honda didn't think to provide a (micro)SD card slot into which the driver could place their own card if they wanted to record the last several hours of driving conditions.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 10:57:55 PM »

in fact, the whole area between seats and windscreen appears to be higher than on the old model and a portable sat nav slightly intrudes into the view through the windscreen.

The Jazz has such beautiful, small triangular windows, at both sides of the dashboard. These are specially designed for one particular purpose...

Try your sat nav there...
If nothing goes right, go left!

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 07:37:29 AM »
With the help of some overnight rain I've now been able to check if the wipers clear the sensor area: It's just OK and it appears that the asymmetric sensor arrangement is to get them into the wiper coverage.

When I made my measurements I had overlooked the small wiper blade being on a long, but bent, arm.  :-[

Putting the sat nav onto one of the little windows is an option although I like the convenience of having the sat nav on a weighted base so it can be quickly put in the footwell when the car is parked and equally quickly put back onto the dashboard.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 07:41:50 AM by John Ratsey »

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 09:42:29 PM »
An update on the auto headlight saga which I raised with my sales rep. He assured me that turning the light switch to the off position any time after starting the car would tell the car to change the lights to manual control and a further turn of the switch (remember that it is spring-loaded and won't stay in off) would change the lights back to auto. He has tried this out on the demonstrator that he is driving and claims it works. However, I have tried this out on my car and it refuses to behave in the same way so the matter is not resolved as far as I am concerned. The switch itself is not dead because it will turn the headlists off after I take the key out of the ignition (the system defaults to leaving the lights on until after the car is locked). We are unlikely to resolve this in the next few days as the rep and myself are heading in different directions.

It would be useful if the other new Jazz owners can also share their experience with this aspect (and anything else).

Tags:

anything