Author Topic: 1.3 ex or 1.5 sport?  (Read 3325 times)

Bobcat

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Civic 1.7ctdi
1.3 ex or 1.5 sport?
« on: April 05, 2023, 05:47:52 AM »
Hi all,

After my previous posts asking whether a Jazz was suitable we finally have decided it is!! Thanks for your responses.

We ended up trying a good number of cars for rear passenger space and have found the Jazz better than even 'larger cars'
It is only a bit smaller than our existing 2003 civic on the inside.

Now it's a case of whether we go with a 1.3 ex or 1.5 sport. We have seen both within a 100 Mile range so intend on rest driving both to gauge performance etc.

Any tips, suggestions, opinions would be gratefully received.

I am assuming the running costs of the sport are similar to the ex, I know it will use a bit more fuel, are the service costs the same?

Thanks

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
Re: 1.3 ex or 1.5 sport?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2023, 07:06:22 AM »
I had a sport - best Jazz for performance//response, good level of equipment which was quiet tactile (round knobs).

It carried full size spare.

Overall 49.3mpg.

At that point best Jazz ever had (4th)

Wilmo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.5 Sport 2018
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2023, 07:59:10 AM »
Get the sport. :D :D :D
The same engine as the 1.5 Civic just no turbo, so decent performance, handling and MPG.
Has the same magic seats etc with a good selection of toys even without Nav, stands out from the standard Jazz.
Only minor downside is the cost of tyres, being an unpopular size.

Depending on what you feel about speed you will be disappointed with the 1.3, even our Honda service manager described it as gutless.
Our other car is a Civic FN2 TypeR and the Jazz still makes me smile every time I drive it.

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2023, 08:30:19 AM »
I owned a 2017 1.3 CVT Comfort and a 2019 1.5 Dynamic. I drove both to around 70k kilometres.

Differences: the 1.5 is a bit more quiet and more responsive. At higher speeds (above 100 kmph or 65 mph) the 1.5 is more economic (lower revs), while the 1.3 is more economic around town and on country roads. The 1.3 managed 4.48 l/100km (63 MPG), where the 1.5 did 4.72 l/100km (60 MPG); just a small difference. I drove similar in terms of distances and driving style (as economic as I could, in most cases). One could even argue that the difference in economy is due to another tyre size and a rear top spoiler and different diffusors in front and rear bumpers.
In terms of maintenance costs there was no difference.

So: indeed, choose the 1.5 and you will have a bit more fun without any disadvantages!

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2023, 10:39:29 AM »
I ended up to 1.5 after having a test drive with 1.3. I suggest 1.5 for the same reasons others have stated above.

pebbles

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 sport
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2023, 02:22:57 PM »
pleased with my 1.5 Sport, as above.

The only things I miss compared to the EX are climate control and rear privacy glass.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2023, 06:59:52 PM »
Drive them both with any Used purchase it's all about the condition.
Please get a vehicle check done before you buy I still favour HPI even on £1-2k cars.
Good luck & bargain hard as it's still a seller's market

Bobcat

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2023, 07:21:54 PM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the useful advice.

We test drove the 1.3 ex today, performance wise it was better than I expected. The best features were the alloys, privacy glass on the rear and reversing camera.
I wasn't that keen on the keyless entry and the digital heating controls.

Annoyingly despite the car being at a Honda dealer it was a bit scruffy despite a £14,000 price tag.

My wife is quite keen on the looks of the sport. I have been on the phone discussing various sport models at Honda dealers. We are going to look at a grey one on Friday.

We can pick up a newer ex 2019/2020 for the same price as the sport, but the cars do feel quite solid so hoping even a 2018 model will last at least 10 more years!

The dealer has the car (2018) with 31,000 Miles at £14,000 and are say the price is fixed! I hate paying stickers price especially for a 5 year old car.
We have seen an identical model, year  mileage car also at a Honda dealer which is £700 cheaper but its in red which the wife is not 100% on.

The grey one does check out at least over the phone. It's a one owner car, supplied and serviced by the selling dealer.
The only negative is that it has cheap nasty tyres on, nexen and road x.
I have always fitted the same brand on all 4 corners and stick with Michellin energy. In my mind when I see a car with 4 decent brand tyres such as Michellin or Dunlop it shows the owner cares, that said after comments on here about the tyre size being odd maybe the owner just didn't want to spend £130 per tyre for a decent brand.

Both the grey and red cars are navi models. If we go for the one on Friday what should we ask the dealer to do? Does the satnav need an update?
They have said that they have fitted new Aircon pipes and condenser already so assuming the ac wasn't working.

Will update on how we get on. Any other tips or advice on the buying process will be welcome.

Should I be looking under the cat for rust, or at any particular weak spots on the car??

Also I am assuming if I ask to fit a reverse camera like on the ex integrated into the sat navigation its going to be expensive?

Thanks

Bobcat

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2023, 07:26:37 PM »
Just to add I will want to convert the boot area to accept a spare tyre. Can I negotiate a better price with the dealer for the bits I need to convert it? If anyone has details of what is required and any part numbers that would be super helpful

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2023, 07:31:40 PM »
If the price seems to be fixed, you might negotiate a spare wheel, camera or maybe free maintenance for 1 or 2 years? Prices never are ‘fixed’ fixed!

Sometimes it is helpful to say you are willing to buy the car at that moment if they agree. Otherwise you will take some time to consider and leave without buying it.

Enjoy!

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
1.3 ex or 1.5 sport?
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2023, 08:15:30 PM »
I bought the Sport, 2019 with 2k miles on the clock and have updated the car to my taste.

Tinted rear windows
Apple CarPlay double din
Rear camera
Front & rear dash Cam
Genuine Honda sill garnish (£45 from eBay)
Full set genuine Honda rubber mats (£60 from eBay)
Re-trimmed in Napa leather and thickened steering wheel. (See photo)
Stage 1 machine polish and 5 year ceramic coating.

Also replaced the 185/55 tyres with All Season 195/55.

The car is now the Jazz Sport I wanted!

Go for the Sport, you wont be disappointed.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 11:22:24 AM by UKjim »

Bobcat

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2023, 06:33:13 AM »
Thanks for the tips.

UkJim, the upgrades sound good so I might come back to you for more information.

In terms of tyres is it possible to go to 195 55 tyres without issues??
Would that be 195 55 R16??
I think the first thing we will do if we get the sport is change all 4 tyres.

Can I have views on the tyres other are using please. I want decent grip but also very important is fuel economy and long life as my wife does a reasonable number of Miles each day.

I have seen Bridgestone turanza but think they will be poor on the economy and wear side. What about Michellin or other decent makes.

I might try to negotiate with the Honda dealer to fit 4 new tyres at a reduced price so any advice from current owners would be welcome as well as if we should go to 195 or stay 185.

Thanks

Wilmo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.5 Sport 2018
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2023, 08:07:00 AM »
I put Dunlop Fast Response tyres on ours at std 185, cost £125 each.

For bling you can get door sill garnish and alloy pedals from Cox Motor Parts
https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-jazz-sports-pedals-2016/
https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-jazz-doorstep-garnishes-2016-onwards/

also sets of mats if they are absent.

Cox's prices are discounted against the price you are likely to get from dealer unless you try and get them to price match, ours wouldn't and lost £300 of sales as a result.

pebbles

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 sport
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2023, 08:23:21 AM »
if you are thinking of a space saver spare instead of the gunk , try and negotiate before you buy as expensive to purchase the kit afterwards , the different polystyrene tray alone is over £130 from the dealer.
see other threads
eg.  https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=14810.msg121392#msg121392 

good to hear that the aircon condenser has been replaced , mine was shot at 30K and replaced under warranty. It's very exposed , right at the front with very little protection.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2023, 11:19:27 AM »
Thanks for the tips.

UkJim, the upgrades sound good so I might come back to you for more information.

In terms of tyres is it possible to go to 195 55 tyres without issues??
Would that be 195 55 R16??
I think the first thing we will do if we get the sport is change all 4 tyres.

Can I have views on the tyres other are using please. I want decent grip but also very important is fuel economy and long life as my wife does a reasonable number of Miles each day.

I have seen Bridgestone turanza but think they will be poor on the economy and wear side. What about Michellin or other decent makes.

I might try to negotiate with the Honda dealer to fit 4 new tyres at a reduced price so any advice from current owners would be welcome as well as if we should go to 195 or stay 185.

Thanks
You certainly can go to 195/55x16 without any bother. It’s a 6in rim so recommended sizes are anything between 185 and 205 with 195 being optimal for this rim size. The reason manufacturers fit the narrower size is to maximise economy and make the figures look better. I opted for 195 as this offers some rim protection when parking close to a kerb, with the 185 the tyre is level with the rim and the slightest brush with a kerb will damage the rim.

I replaced the factory fit tyres as there were uncomfortable and noisy probably due to the very low mileage over 4 years and the car having stood still for long periods. Fitting the Hankook Kinergy 4S2 all season tyres was a revelation, much quieter and more comfortable. Fuel economy is probably slightly worse but not enough to notice.

Check out www.tyrereviews.com for unbiased opinions on suitable tyres that meet your needs.

Tags: