Author Topic: Beware who is listening  (Read 922 times)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Beware who is listening
« on: December 02, 2019, 01:09:21 PM »
While having a coffee this morning I was sat at the next table to a young lady who was booking a holiday using her mobile phone. Every word she said was quite clearly heard and had I been a low life I would now be in possession of her full name and address, the dates she would be away, both her phone numbers and her full bank card details.
I could now rob her empty house, sell her phone numbers, steal her identity and hack her bank card account. The guy sat opposite me looked at me and shook his head.
I pointed out to the young lady what she had just done and her response was that I shouldn't have been listening as it was a private conversation. I reminded her that she was in a public place and that I hoped she enjoyed her holiday in Greece.

Vic.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 01:15:46 PM by VicW »

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Re: Beware who is listening
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 02:02:38 PM »
My one and only 'Black Friday' purchase was whisky. When it arrived, despite me obviously being well over the hill, I had to give the delivery guy my birth date and my name, he already had my address. First time I have lied about my age to get a drink since around 1981!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 02:57:45 PM »
While having a coffee this morning I was sat at the next table to a young lady who was booking a holiday using her mobile phone. Every word she said was quite clearly heard and had I been a low life I would now be in possession of her full name and address, the dates she would be away, both her phone numbers and her full bank card details.
I could now rob her empty house, sell her phone numbers, steal her identity and hack her bank card account. The guy sat opposite me looked at me and shook his head.
I pointed out to the young lady what she had just done and her response was that I shouldn't have been listening as it was a private conversation. I reminded her that she was in a public place and that I hoped she enjoyed her holiday in Greece.

Vic.

People worry about older people being scammed,  but I think older people are far more aware of security than younger ones, many of whom seem totally naive and still think internet is private and probably give their proper date of birth on websites, including facebook ( I never do, it is always a few years out either way, and different day and month ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 03:01:56 PM »
( I never do, it is always a few years out either way, and different day and month ).
You'll no be getting a Happy Birthday from me when it flags up!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 03:11:21 PM »
My one and only 'Black Friday' purchase was whisky. When it arrived, despite me obviously being well over the hill, I had to give the delivery guy my birth date and my name, he already had my address. First time I have lied about my age to get a drink since around 1981!

Photo ID now for Amazon deliveries of over-18 goods, e.g. kitchen knives, alcohol, etc., supposedly no exceptions.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 04:34:23 PM »
Some people appear to be so naive...
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/katie-investigates/lost-11k-ee-text-scam-lloyds-wont-refund-penny/

I basically only give my bank details to people I know are valid..

This woman apparently answered an email asking for her bank details.. and then expects the bank to refund her..

You cannot protect idiots from their idiocy...

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 10:04:42 PM »
People have to learn the hard way that every request for money, credit card details or other personal info should be treated as a possible scam until proved to be genuine. A quick look at the web address of any link is often enough but phones don't make this easy o do. These days it should be part of basic school education.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags: