Author Topic: A recent European trip  (Read 513 times)

Beaver

• Approved Member
A recent European trip
« on: May 18, 2024, 06:14:44 PM »
I took my Jazz off for a week or so driving through France, Germany and Belgium recently.  One or two observations on my trip...

Firstly, I set the speed limiter on as soon as I left le Shuttle. Big mistake in France!  As it's been a few years since I drove on the continent, I didn't recall that French motorway slip roads have speed limit signs of their own so cruising at a steady speed on passing an exit slip, the beeps started and the car wanted to slow down.  It only took a couple of these before I learned to switch the limiter off and not bother.  No problems with it in the other countries though.

The toll roads were a pain as I found it impossible to reach the ticket/payment machines (on the left of the car) through the window.  Stop, get out, trot round the car, take the ticket or pay by card, wave an apology to the impatient drivers behind while trotting back round to get in, seatbelt on, into gear and go before the barrier came down.

Headlights were an issue.  On page 198 of the manual it states "The headlights are suitable for left hand drive and right hand drive, without the need to make any adjustments or masking, as per UN-Regulation No.48 Dover Regulation".  As I left le Shuttle in the dark at 3am, I soon found that never in my driving life had I been flashed by so many lorry drivers for dazzling them!   The solution for me (one on board and very light, minimal luggage) was to lower the headlights to position 3 to avoid blinding oncoming traffic.  I only had one more night drive, and with setting 3 selected, at least I didn't dazzle anyone.

The knock on effect of this was that when driving with dipped beam, the lights didn't illuminate the road as far ahead as I would have preferred for unlit road night driving, so I had to reduce speed accordingly.  I don't usually exceed speed limits so it's not as if I'm a speed freak.  The beam pattern was clearly visible on the road and showed the standard UK pattern, with the high illumination on the left side of the beam pattern.

On the plus side, the clock re-set to European/UK time on leaving the train in both crossing directions.  The conversion to have the speedo e.t.c in kilometers rather than miles was easy and convenient.  The satnav was generally good (updated before I travelled) but tried to kill me twice by telling me to turn left into oncoming one-way traffic at junctions where the only legal option was a right turn.  It dropped out a few times and appeared to freeze, but stopping and re-programming the route sorted that out each time.

Overall, 1200 miles at 66mpg.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Re: A recent European trip
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2024, 09:20:14 PM »
We did a wee Euro trip a couple of weeks ago in our MK2. Coped very well over there, and so handy in city areas. We did 1306 miles in our week.

I added a blind spot mirror to our car for the NSide which was invaluable, £2.99 very well spent.

Off again on next week for another 8 days euro trip. Germany this time. Such a great little car the Jazz. The refinement of the mk4 would have been nice, and cruise would have been brilliant. Maybe one day........

Tags:

anything