Author Topic: Non centering, high friction steering  (Read 1156 times)

Brakballe

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz II GG3
Non centering, high friction steering
« on: February 18, 2023, 12:32:31 AM »
Hyas all.

Asking for hands on and NOT "assuming" bs.

I did take on this new Jazz as of 1 1/2 months ago coming from a Mazda6 with perfect hydraulic servo steering.

This is like the shaft from the steering wheel runs through a too small rubber bushing.

High resistance and sticky to small corrections, very annoying on the hw make you stress and zig-zag.
No fluidness at all.

Balljoints is OK. toe-in is OK. Soon changing to new premium Turanza.

But this is ridiculous: Where is that stiffness, friction from? On a 2011 car??
Did the Hyundai i20 and Mazda2 at the same age, numb and deaf around center but nowhere near that not self centering.
OK, early crap electric servo and not ole goode hydra one but.. I can at slow speeds turn the wheels +/- 15 degs and it stays there like numb and stuck.  A little better at hw speeds but still need effort to correct direction, just silly!

Where is that ********** from? The shaft bushings? Servo? Power steering unit oil?

It is NOT a alignment thing, goes straight, wear is even etc. just a pure silly too much friction when turning the wheels.

And non centering at slow speeds the last 15 degs and unsettling on the hw since need effort to correct make it whole thing... jerky.

It's a GG3 all inspections done. Fresh oils.

Make me go ape soon.

Such a brilliant car but this is unnecessary.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 03:33:56 PM by Brakballe »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Non centering, high friction steering
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 11:33:01 AM »
That is the single biggest thing I have noticed changing from my Mk 1 Jazz to the Fabia is how light and smooth the steering is. The Fabia uses an electric driven pump, not an electric driven rack.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 04:01:57 PM »
I'm sorry, I only have "assuming bs" to offer.  :-X

Brakballe

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2023, 07:06:08 PM »
Update! New Turanza summer tires! Rode em in then rode the car hard. Well, still in a culture shock goin from a quite a bit more advanced undercarriage with Pirelli P Zero Nero's.. BUT: Still the stiff, high friction thing around center and non centering the last bit. Wear is perfect, goes straight as a ruler. Toe in is OK (read wear).
I noticed it is a slight nod better as the temp here on the North Pole increases daytime but far from "there".
I've heard rumors that there is PLASTIC bushings in the system? (Electrick rack'n pinion) Is that true?

Going to ask the local brand pusher next week what it is about.

Wish me luck..

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 09:14:21 PM »
right . this issue has been covered many times in this forum. when i got my 07 jazz i thought what the hell yep when it got faster it was a nightmare to keep in a straight line . plus i had to do a 5 hour drive once and my hand was aching afterwards . some say this is how they are . my thoughts were surly NOT! anyway tried spraying lub and cleaner on the connecting block in case there was a dry joint to no avail . but upon  a closer look at the wheels. i may add i did notice the steering wheel was slightly to cock to the right. but noticed id say the tracking was slightly out offside towing out. so i undone the locknut and turned it in 2 turns . afterwards  the tracking looked straight. after a drive the steering wheel was straight and the steering got better and better and no stickiness at all now . morel is could be the tracking . someone on here stated theres a clock spring type contact from the steering wheel to the rack it could be giving mixed signals to the rack if the trackings out. although saying this there was no pulling to one side but there again it was so damn stiff i wouldnt think it would lol

Brakballe

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 05:29:10 AM »
closer look at the wheels. i may add i did notice the steering wheel was slightly to cock to the right. but noticed id say the tracking was slightly out offside towing out. so i undone the locknut and turned it in 2 turns . afterwards  the tracking looked straight. after a drive the steering wheel was straight and the steering got better and better and no stickiness at all now . morel is could be the tracking .

It's tracks straight as a ruler with the steering wheel dead center but you say you increased the toe-in and mean it was a nod toe-out before?

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2023, 09:40:18 AM »
I dont know much about it but it may be worth researching the advantages of dynamic wheel alignment  rather than the more common static alignment.  I believe this  also allows for tracking changes when the car is being driven, cornered etc .  Possibly also 4 wheel alignment ,  but things could start getting expensive with no guarantee of improvement.

Not sure about 'plastic' Bushes . Nylon Bushes tend to give a harsher ride  ,but are a popular upgrade with performance  enthusiasts.  Maybe some  cars  come with them as standard.     I would have thought the more flexible  standard  rubber bushes might cause  more  issues with dynamic alignment which nylon bushes are intended to eliminate.   But its possible the toe-in etc specifications  recommended when measured statically are not ideal  when moving ,especially if  the bushes have been changed or  upgraded  at any time.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2023, 09:13:45 PM »
yes mine was slightly towing out
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 09:15:42 PM by fashionphotography »

Brakballe

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2023, 06:49:18 PM »
Latest update: Since I'm both anal and went from an old Mazda6, with perfe3ct steering I'm finally homing in to a final verdict.
I drove to our local authorized pusher of Honda cars (they have been around for a while) and after some statements got greeted with an old (like me) man that seemed to have done Hondahs for a while. I explained the issue and told him take it for a spin, alone. Also told him to just drive up and down the street once to confirm..
Well, he arrived way 20 mins later and to my big disappointment he told me the car was normal. He told me that the Mk.I was worse and the Mk.III has almost sorted it and tweaking more will just add very minor improvements. Do a coarse check of the front toe-in he said. It doesn't wander so it is OK but just check.
So here I am. The last grasp. Will do a toe-in check and report.
If not "successful" I will just eat it and is aiming for a 2018-2020 Sport, manual in the future but they do not grow on trees... anymore...

Have a brilliant weekend dudes and dudettes! :)

« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 06:54:48 PM by Brakballe »

Tags:

anything