Author Topic: subframe repair cost?  (Read 1457 times)

Dave1234

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2006
subframe repair cost?
« on: January 05, 2023, 06:51:42 PM »
Hello

I was wondering if anyone could advise what a subframe repair at rear might cost? (I realise varies between garages, but a guesstimate would be really helpful).   

And if it had the advisory on the MOT of 'sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened' does this mean that by the next MOT you can likely expect it to be seriously weakened?

Thanks so much in advance
D

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: subframe repair cost?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 09:55:32 PM »
For welding the following:
NSR sill holed.
NSR inner wing holed.
OSR sill holed.
OSR inner wing holed.

the garage reckoned £800 - £1100. They don't do it themselves.
Hence the reason the car is off to the scrappies in the next few days.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 11:30:06 AM »
Hello

I was wondering if anyone could advise what a subframe repair at rear might cost? (I realise varies between garages, but a guesstimate would be really helpful).   

And if it had the advisory on the MOT of 'sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened' does this mean that by the next MOT you can likely expect it to be seriously weakened?

Thanks so much in advance
D

If you wire brush off the worst of the flaking rust on the subframe and spray with a rust prevent/wax (eg Dinitrol 4941) rusting will be slowed and it could last years more.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 01:47:38 PM »
Advisories are often used by MOT testers  to 'cover their backs'   .Thus if the issue ever came to the attention of DVSA who oversee the competence of mot testers they can prove they didnt miss a potential issue completely but used their discretion about how serious it may be.

As Madasafish says  it might only be surface rusting  that could be halted  with some rust preventative treatment. If you cannot do it yourself it will be easier to find a semi skilled person able to do rust treatment at reasonable price than  a welder skilled in welding cars .

Two caveats if you do it yourself.  Never climb under a car only supported on a  jack  , and if when  removing flaking rust  the damage is worse than  expected  dont take any chances.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2023, 05:46:09 PM »
Take step back -  was the rusty rear the 1st advisory on your Jazz & the only one on this year's MOT.
Go back 3 years , check previous records on govt website MOT history.
You can then decide the correct course of action, if it was mine I would inspect the Jazz on a ramp ramp knocking along the areas with a toffee hammer.
Hopefully it's can be treated & rechecked before next winter
Let the forum know how you get on.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2023, 02:43:51 PM »
And when you step back consider other things.  If your car is immaculate in every other respect  then maybe  the cost of  rust treatment or even  welding is justified      But with a  car thats at least 14 years old  there could be other large costs on the horizon.  New tyres, battery, exhaust, further rust, lots of other mechanical problems it may be better to cut your losses while still ahead .

Rust treatment may mean it will pass several more MOT's    . If you are lucky it may mean it passes the next MOT with no rust advisory.  This would restore the value of the car and make it more saleable. If you decide to sell once the job is done  it may be worth getting an new mot done early
With a rust advisory potential buyers will value it at not much more than its scrap value.  Some may hope to do it up themselves and get a bargain,  but they will still expect it cheap. 

You might only get one year, but potentially several, until it fails its mot, on this or other issues and you again need to reassess whether its still worth repairing.  The car will be that much older, and the decision easier to make,  but you dont want to throw good money after bad  on costs  that are ultimately wasted. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Dave1234

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2006
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2023, 06:16:53 PM »
And when you step back consider other things.  If your car is immaculate in every other respect  then maybe  the cost of  rust treatment or even  welding is justified      But with a  car thats at least 14 years old  there could be other large costs on the horizon.  New tyres, battery, exhaust, further rust, lots of other mechanical problems it may be better to cut your losses while still ahead .

Rust treatment may mean it will pass several more MOT's    . If you are lucky it may mean it passes the next MOT with no rust advisory.  This would restore the value of the car and make it more saleable. If you decide to sell once the job is done  it may be worth getting an new mot done early
With a rust advisory potential buyers will value it at not much more than its scrap value.  Some may hope to do it up themselves and get a bargain,  but they will still expect it cheap. 

You might only get one year, but potentially several, until it fails its mot, on this or other issues and you again need to reassess whether its still worth repairing.  The car will be that much older, and the decision easier to make,  but you dont want to throw good money after bad  on costs  that are ultimately wasted.

Thanks for this.  It's already had a lot of work done to it recently - new battery, new exhaust, new shock absorber etc.  But the cat converter also needs doing by next MOT as well as this possible subframe repair and it'll definitely need tyres... the latest is I've now discovered a leak so the boot is filling up in bad weather.... I'm thinking it's time to scrap.  Any thoughts greatly appreciated. 

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2023, 07:52:25 PM »
I got a new cat for mine, from a motor factor, and after I returned the one I was removing it was not a lot of money. A few years back now (may 2017 to be precise), but it was under £100 with the gaskets and clamps.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2023, 09:14:32 AM »
The leak in the boot is a common fault. You can find the solution on here. Also, you can drill a small drain hole to let the water out if there isn’t one already.

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2023, 04:05:38 PM »
mine had a water leak in the boot when i first bought it.. just cleaned the seam joins  at the back of the roof  when the tailgates up and just underneath the rear roof trims and sprayed some white grease over them.. havent had a leak since.. and dont look un-sightly as in some of the sealent repairs im sure we have all seen

Waue1978

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz GD1 CVT
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2023, 07:33:00 PM »
mine had a water leak in the boot when i first bought it.. just cleaned the seam joins  at the back of the roof  when the tailgates up and just underneath the rear roof trims and sprayed some white grease over them.. havent had a leak since.. and dont look un-sightly as in some of the sealent repairs im sure we have all seen

Any chance you can stick up a pic of your repair as I'd be interested to see that?

Our low mileage (60k) silver one has cracks in the sealant, but I'm hesitant to get Honda to do it as when they did it to our blue one they basically just squirted black shite everywhere & it looked an utterly disgrace.

Did have a go with a small tube of bathroom sealant myself (just filling in the cracks) & made a bollocks of it myself too.

Did go to see how much a bodyshop would charge to do that & tidy up the small rust patches at the bottom of the rear arches (before it takes hold), but got quoted over £1000 & the car's only worth £2k.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2023, 07:53:11 PM »
I believe you have to take out the roof trims (they slide and lift out AFAIK), clean out the dried cracked sealant and replace but seemingly YOU CANNOT USE BATHROOM SEALANT. There are plenty of threads on here regarding doing the job.

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2023, 11:04:27 AM »
havent got any images im afraid . but its only a thin film and even if you wipe it it will still fill any cracks in the seams.. only thing is it will attract any road grime but as i said  wiping it dont effect it but you can always spray another coating on the joints

Tags: