Author Topic: Honda Jazz 1.4 i-VTEC EX 5dr 2010 Metallic noise from engine, what it can be?  (Read 2964 times)

zywiec515

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 EX 2010
Today during return from store i noticed mettalic sound from engine
I attached videos below
https://youtu.be/l8FEUn5vlLI
It has 102 000 miles on the clock
Im the owner 4 years and till now nothing wrong with the car.
Any ideas what it in can be?
Thanks in advance for any help
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 08:26:52 PM by zywiec515 »

zywiec515

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Today during return from store i noticed mettalic sound from engine
I attached videos below
https://youtu.be/l8FEUn5vlLI
It has 105 000 miles on the clock
Im the owner 4 years and till now nothing wrong with the car.
Any ideas what it in can be?
Thanks in advance for any help
Today i took off alternator belt off to see if noise is coming from water pump alternator or ac compressor. But it look like there is no diiference after taking off belt. Metallic noise coming from valve cover area. When engine is cold in quiet but after couple of minutes when getting warmer noise start.
Any ideas ? Valves?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
It could be a valve clearance but check the exhaust heat shield before investigating further. Noise doesn't always originate where you think it does.
And check your engine oil level.

culzean

• Approved Member
What oil is in the engine ?  it is suggested to use a higher viscosity oil in higher mileage engines,   Try 5W30 or higher.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

zywiec515

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
What oil is in the engine ?  it is suggested to use a higher viscosity oil in higher mileage engines,   Try 5W30 or higher.
It has 5w30 at this moment.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Sounded to me like timing chain or tensioner. Don't know if it varies with engine speed.?
Could be a couple of very loose valves but sounds more of a rustling than tapping sound to me (But my hearing is not great)

Exhaust manifold leaks can give rise to strange noises. (bitter experience)

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
It may help the forum if you can add
- last time oil/filter changed & mileage.
- any other issues immediatley prior to the new noise, any garage work completed etc
Thanks

GBH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX Auto
I presume it is the "clattering" noise you refer to (not the whistling)?

My first thought was sticking valves.

Being used to clattery old engines, to me my Jazz is silent when on tickover and at first thought that the engine was stop-start!  I'm sure that I read somewhere that it has some sort of variable valve timing which is controlled by oil pressure so wonder if this control valve is sticking.

As asked above, when was the last engine oil and filter change and has it been done regularly?

zywiec515

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Sounded to me like timing chain or tensioner. Don't know if it varies with engine speed.?
Could be a couple of very loose valves but sounds more of a rustling than tapping sound to me (But my hearing is not great)

Exhaust manifold leaks can give rise to strange noises. (bitter experience)
I just adjusted valve clearance. Made drive test and no difference.
I noticed that
a) When engine is cold ( no noise ) - maybe because oil is more sticky and engine have some load?
b) Noise starting when engine is hot and not under load (idle or while driving same speed without accelerating)
c) When accelerating , noise stoping
d) Noise also stoping when cooling fan is on .

Do You think it can be  timing chain or tensioner?
When was doing valve clearance i noticed oil leak in place where engine wheel is (tensioner area)

« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 08:54:22 PM by zywiec515 »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
The timing chain is supposedly bombproof on these engines. Have you checked the heat shield?

zywiec515

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
It may help the forum if you can add
- last time oil/filter changed & mileage.
- any other issues immediatley prior to the new noise, any garage work completed etc
Thanks

-Last time oil and fillter change was on April 2021 when was 92000 miles ( It has now 102000 miles)
-It was Shell Helix 5W-30 Ultra Professional AF Ford Fully Syn M2C 913D Oil
-there was no other issues immediatley prior to the new noise .There was no garage work.
I noticed that there is no noise when engine is cold.
When engine is warm on idle speed (not under load) the noise start and seems to me constant.
When engine is under load (accelerating or when cooling fan switch on the noise stoping)
I took off serpentine belt to see if this is no water pump/ ac compressor or alternator, but after starting engine without belt for half an minute the noise was still existing
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 08:26:31 PM by zywiec515 »

zywiec515

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
The timing chain is supposedly bombproof on these engines. Have you checked the heat shield?
No i didn't check heat shield yet. By heat shield You mean those steel exhaust cover under car?
I don't think that sound can be generated by loose heat shield, but will check everything.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Thanks for updating Jazz history.
If heat shields look OK - try knowcking with rubber mallet or hammer handle to obtain clatterey sound.
Next step drain the oil replace the filter with Honda Blue filter & refill with correct spec oil.
Then re test & let the forum know.

zywiec515

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Thanks for updating Jazz history.
If heat shields look OK - try knowcking with rubber mallet or hammer handle to obtain clatterey sound.
Next step drain the oil replace the filter with Honda Blue filter & refill with correct spec oil.
Then re test & let the forum know.
I checked heat shield and looks Ok. Not replaced oil and fillter yet but today i recorded video from start
It looks like continuous noise after 15minutes of engine running.
Earlier than 15 minutes noise appera when cooling fan switching on.
Noise seems to come from intake manifold area. If someone have any idea of potential issue i would be glad :D

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Sounds like a fan blade catching something  (due to a worn bearing?)

Tags:

anything